September 20, 2010 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: 2010 Missouri WIC Conference
SUBJECT 2: Program for Dietetic Interns-Application Information for FFY 2011-2012
SUBJECT 3: Text4Baby PostersArriving in the Mail
SUBJECT 4: Updates to the WIC Resources
SUBJECT 5: Message from NWA
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Cass County Nutritionist
- 2010 Missouri WIC Conference: The Missouri WIC Association and the Department of Health and Senior Services WIC Program would like to invite you to join us for the 2010 WIC Conference October 25-27 with the theme of “Work Well, Be Well, and Live Well”.
Please visit the new Missouri WIC Association website (http://mowica.org/) and follow the links to register on-line for this event. Our new site will be fully operational within the next few days with full conference details but the registration feature along with a Capital Plaza Hotel link are now LIVE. You’ll see that you can now pay electronically on-line if you choose via a secured connection through Eventbrite.
Event Location: Capital Plaza Hotel, Jefferson City
Registration Fees: $225 per person if registered by October 8, 2010 or $250 after with registration closing October -18, 2010.
*Includes 2 breakfasts, 1 lunch, breaks, evening reception, conference premium and program guide.
Accommodations: Capitol Plaza Hotel, 415 West McCarty Street, Jefferson City, MO 65101.
*Room rates are $79.00 for single/double occupancy plus 10.22% for state and local taxes.
*Register on-line via our link or call the hotel directly at 573-635-1234 or toll free at 800-338-8088. Please tell the reservation desk that you are with the Missouri WIC Conference to receive your discounted rate.
If you have any questions please feel free to call or email Jim Wheaton, MWA President, at 816-404-9745 or Jim.Wheaton@tmcmed.org.
- Program for Dietetic Interns: The Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI) is now taking applications for the 2011-2012 class-year. Up to four interns will be chosen from the pre-select option. This is advantageous for employees of LWPs who are eligible to participate in the pre-select option. The deadline for the pre-select option is Dec. 15th. There is no fee for those interns who are employed by the MDHSS WIC program or employed by a Missouri Local WIC Provider. A $3,000 fee applies to all other interns. Be sure to use the "new" application form, which is required (see attached). The Dietetic Internship Recommendation form is also attached for your use. For more information, visit our website. If you have any questions, please contact Vicki Strickland at 800-392-8209 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Text4Baby PostersArriving in the Mail: Text4Baby posters, table tents and tear pads are in the mail to local WIC providers. Each LWP will receive the amount requested on the order form that your agency submitted in July. If you have questions, contact Rita Arni at email@example.com.
- Updates to the WIC Resources: The following are updates to the WIC Resources:
- Nutrition and Weight Gain During Pregnancy (English) #351 - New!
Local WIC providers will receive this handout from the DHSS warehouse by September 30, 2010. Effective September 27, 2010, please begin using the new hand out (#351) and please discontinue using the Weight Gain During Pregnancy (#158) and its translated versions.
- Nutrition Assessment Forms (Spanish Version)
Local WIC providers listed on the attached sheet will receive the nutrition assessment forms in Spanish by September 30, 2010. Please make copies of the attached forms until your agency receive the packet from the DHSS warehouse. If your agency is not listed and you wish to have the forms, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- WIC Resources in Different Languages
Many resource items are being translated into 16 languages (Arabic, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Burmese, Chinese, Farsi, French, Hmong, Italian, Korean, Romanian, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese). When they become available, you will be notified through the WIC Updates.
- WIC 7 and WIC 8 Forms
Both the Local WIC Provider Supply Request and Nutrition Education forms are being updated and will be available through the WIC Updates (September 27, 2010).
If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Message from NWA: The Rev. Douglas A. Greenaway, President and CEO of the National WIC Association sent the following message: The White House has issued a Presidential Proclamation declaring September National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month timed with the return of children to school. It may also help to move the ball a bit more down the field on Child Nutrition Reauthorization legislation (optimist that I am). Unfortunately, the Proclamation makes no reference to the good work of WIC. Still, the focus on the issue from this White House has been significant. The following is a link to this proclamation:
WIC-35-SP-QP Nutri Assess for Children Ages 1-5
WIC-36-SP-QP Nutri Assess for Women
WIC-37-SP-QP Nutri Assess for Infants
Dietetic Internship Recommendation Form
Dietetic Internship Application wtih instructions
Local WIC Providers with Spanish Speaking Participants
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT Cass County Nutritionist: Cass County Health Department is looking to fill a part-time WIC nutritionist position. This position will require a minimum of graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in public health nutrition, dietetics, nutrition, foods, home economics, or closely related field, including or supplemented by at least 15 hours in foods and nutrition including at least 1 course in diet therapy and 1 course in community nutrition. Please contact Jenny Gladden at 816-380-8435 or firstname.lastname@example.org 300 S. Main St. Harrisonville, MO 64701.