October 4, 2010 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Request for Photos for WIC Conference
SUBJECT 2: National WIC Association’s (NWA) 2011 Calendars–Availability
SUBJECT 3: A New Opportunity for Displays in WIC Clinics
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Lawrence County Nutritionist
- Request for Photos for WIC Conference: The 2010 WIC Conference would like to showcase LWP staff. This is a great opportunity to give thanks to everyone who has given many hours to our WIC program. If you would like to participate, please send photos electronically to Rita Arni at email@example.com or by mail to Rita Arni RD LD, DHSS WICNS, 930 Wildwood Drive, PO Box 570, Jefferson City MO 65102-0570 by October 15th. Photos will be displayed at the 2010 WIC Conference October 25-27. The following photos are requested:
- WIC employees who have worked in MO WIC for 25 years or more. Include name, number of years of service, and complete the sentence “What I like most about working in WIC is…”
- WIC Nutritionists. Include name, credentials (example: Nutritionist or RD LD), local agency(s), and a tip for cooking with a WIC food item.
- Photos of local agency WIC events. Include the local agency name, WIC staff names if applicable, and name and date of event.
- Let us know if you want your photo returned after the conference. Hopefully you will have additional copies and no photos will need to be returned.
- National WIC Association’s (NWA) 2011 Calendars–Availability: The NWA calendar is a great resource that supports and enhances nutrition education provided to WIC participants. The WIC 2011 calendar features utilization of WIC foods, nutritional benefits and tips for buying, storing, and cooking. It also includes tasty and low-cost recipes with portion sizes for both adults and toddlers and the cost per serving of these home-cooked meals.
Local WIC Coordinators will receive an e-mail message with a link to the order request from Takako Tagami on October 7, 2010. If your agency is interested in receiving additional calendars, please complete the order request by November 12, 2010. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- New Opportunity for Displays in WIC Clinics: The University of Missouri Extension Family Nutrition Education Program (FNEP) invites all local WIC agencies to attend an interactive television (ITV) session October 29, 2010 from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at the following locations throughout the state.
Columbia MO Heinkel 226 Julie Royse
*TCRC (Salem) Pat Snodgrass
*TCRC (Kirksville) Mary Smyser
Northwest @ Maryville - 130 McKemy Janet Hackert
*Mineral Area TCRC (Park Hill) Sue Wille
Technology Center – Room T-107
Blue Springs (Jackson County Ext Office) Denise Schmitz
1106 W Main St - Conference Room
*Tri-Lakes TCRC (Reed Springs) Pam Duitsman
*TCRC (Poplar Bluff) Linda Morgan
Nevada Telecenter (Nevada) Denise Schmitz
*TCRC’s are regional training centers utilized by the Extension Program. TCRC stands for Telecommunication Community Resource Center.
Lunch will be provided. The ITV session will highlight new nutrition education displays that WIC agencies may request to compliment various nutrition topics. The displays are designed to be "stand alone" resources to reinforce messages provided during education or counseling sessions. Donna Mehrle and Karen Sherbondy of the FNEP and Rita Arni of the Missouri WIC Program will present the ITV session. Local Extension staff will also be present at the session so that planning and networking can occur.Choose the location closest to you and RSVP to the person listed by that site to assure we have enough handouts and lunches for all attendees. Contact information is attached. For additional information, contact Rita Arni at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 573.751.8159.
FNEP Regional Coordinators
Lawrence County Nutritionist: Part-Time Nutritionist needed to provide excellent customer service, patient-centered counseling and relevant nutrition education one on one and group settings. Develops and documents individual care plans for high risk clients; conducts certifications for eligible clients; promotes breastfeeding activities and education. Work approximately 2 days a week.Minimum qualifications include: Bachelors degree in a nutrition related field with at least 15 semester hours in food and nutrition, including one course in diet therapy and one course in community nutrition. Please submit resumes to Lawrence County Health Department 105 West North Street, Mt. Vernon, MO 65712, or email to email@example.com. For questions call 417-466-2201. Equal Opportunity Employer