May 17, 2010 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Breast Pump Order
SUBJECT 2: Breastfeeding Message from USDA
SUBJECT 3: Invitation for FY 2011 Breastfeeding Peer Counseling (BFPC) Program
SUBJECT 4: Revised Resources: Risk Factor Detail Guide (Risk Factor Definitions Table) and Criteria for High-Risk
- Breast Pump Order: Medela will begin shipping the Lactina Select electric and Harmony manual breast pumps and the double pumping kits this week. Please remember that the following procedure must be followed in order to verify receipt of shipment for payment and to send the required WIC tags.
- Immediately upon receipt of shipment, please locate the packing slip and verify that your agency received the products and quantities stated.
- Sign the packing slip to verify the order is correct.
- Fax the signed packing slip to Laura Weiler at the state WIC office at 573-526-1470. WIC tags will be mailed upon receipt of your packing slip.
- If your agency did not receive what was stated on the packing slip, please contact the state WIC office immediately.
If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by telephone at 573-526-4792.
- Breastfeeding Message from USDA - Hooray for Breastfeeding: Attached is the latest press release related to the childhood obesity task force and the link to the report, Solving the Problem of Childhood Obesity within a Generation. It is excellent and highly recommended reading, especially the Early Childhood section – if you have a spare moment in your busy schedules. Here are two excerpts from the report related to WIC:
Community organizations can foster the creation of peer support networks through expansion of programs like the WIC Breastfeeding Peer Counseling program.
Peer support programs, such as the Peer Counselor program delivered as part of the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children (WIC); provide counseling skills, training, and support to experienced breastfeeding mothers so they can effectively support new mothers. Recently, federal funds were provided to further expand the availability of peer counseling in local WIC clinics. If you have any questions, please contact your district TA staff.
- Invitation for FY 2011 Breastfeeding Peer Counseling (BFPC) Program: If your agency is interested in participating in the FFY 2011 BFPC program, please see the attached letter and application form. The completed application and BFPC agency plan needs to be submitted to Leona Greer by email at Leona.Greer@health.mo.gov or by fax at 573-526-1470 by June 18, 2010. If you have any questions, please contact her at 573-751-6498.
- Revised Resources: Risk Factor Detail Guide (Risk Factor Definitions Table) and Criteria for High-Risk Assignment: The revised Risk Factor Detail Guide (Risk Factor Definitions Table) and Criteria for High-Risk Assignment have been updated and posted on the WIC Website. Certifying staff are encouraged to use these resources instead of using the Risk Factor Detail Guide link located on the Risk Factor tab in MOWINS. The guide in the system is not up to date. If you have any questions, please contact your district nutritionist.
WIC Nutritionists/Dietitians—Truman Medical Centers
If you share our passion for healthcare excellence, take your place among the best at Truman Medical Centers, the largest and most comprehensive safety net healthcare provider in Kansas City. Named one of the nation's top academic medical centers, we’re a primary teaching two-hospital system for the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Health Sciences.
TMC has experienced considerable growth currently serving over 15,000 participants per month at multiple locations throughout the Kansas City metropolitan area and Jackson County. As a result of our growth, we are seeking to recruit compassionate, energetic, self-directed co-workers who are looking for a dynamic career opportunity in community nutrition with clinical benefits.To learn more, visit http://www.trumed.org/truweb/ selecting the Careers tab to Apply Online by searching for “WIC” jobs. If you have any questions please call or email Brenda Brewer at 816-404-9743 Brenda.Brewer@tmcmed.org or Jim Wheaton at 816-404-9745 Jim.Wheaton@tmcmed.org.