July 26, 2010 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Breast Pump Order
SUBJECT 2: Friendly Reminder – Formula Changes (Effective August 1, 2010) Important!
SUBJECT 3: 2011 LAP Release-Accessing Crystal Reports
SUBJECT 4: Nutrition Education Opportunity
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Two (2) Part Time Breastfeeding Peer Counselors
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Nutritionist
- Breast Pump Order: We are placing another order for breast pumps and double pumping kits from Medela. In addition to the Medela Lactina Select electric breast pumps, double pumping kits and Harmony manual breast pumps, there will be another type of pump available to order. The Medela Personal Double Electric Single-User breast pump has been added to our Medela contract. Single-user means that this pump is not meant to be shared with other women, so we will be giving this pump to mothers who meet the following criteria:
- Participant must demonstrate a need for the pump.
- Mother must be separated from her infant at least 32 hours per week.
- Mother must be planning to offer breast milk exclusively to her infant and committed to continued long-term exclusive breastfeeding.
- Infant must be receiving no formula from WIC or any other source.
- Pump cannot be provided to the mother before 4 weeks post partum. If a mother needs a pump before then, she may be loaned a multi-user electric breast pump.
Agencies are not required to have this pump available, but if you are interested in providing this pump, you may only issue to participants that meet the above criteria. See the attached revised breast pump policy ER# 6.05100 for further guidance. It is important that you promote this pump to prenatal women and use as an additional incentive to promote exclusive breastfeeding.
If you would like to request any of these items for your agency, please complete the attached order form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 573-526-1470 by COB on Wednesday, August 11, 2010. If you have any questions please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at 573-526-4792.
- Friendly Reminder – Formula Changes (Effective August 1, 2010) Important!
Please note the following:
a. Enfamil LIPIL with Iron:
- Enfamil LIPIL with Iron will no longer be available in MOWINS.
- Participants who have WIC checks which read “Enfamil LIPIL W/ Iron or Enfamil Premium” will be able to purchase either Enfamil LIPIL formula or Enfamil Premium formula depending on availability at the WIC vendors.
b. Enfamil Premium’s Name Change:
- Enfamil Premium LIPIL is changing to Enfamil Premium Infant. Enfamil Premium Infant (Powder) will be the primary contract formula.
- The attachment is the new food item descriptions during the transition period (August 1, 2010 thru December 31, 2010).
- Local WIC provider staff must log off from MOWINS by 5:00 pm, Saturday, July 31, 2010 in order to receive the food item updates on Monday, August 2, 2010.
- It is important that staff create new food prescriptions for infants who have been receiving the food packages: “Enfamil LIPIL W/ Iron or Enfamil Premium” and “Enfamil Premium Infant or Enfamil Premium LIPIL”. Food prescriptions can be established by a WIC Certifier or CPA.
Please share the attached chart with your staff. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- 2011 LAP Release-Accessing Crystal Reports: The FFY 2011 Local Agency Plan (LAP) Caseload, Cost-Per-Participant and Special Funding amounts have been updated by the WIC state office and the online LAP is ready for entry. If you have problems accessing the LAP you may need to call the ITSD Help Desk at 1-800-347-0887 to have your password reset. To enter data to your LAP for FFY2011 select the agency number from the dropdown list and click “Access Current WIC LAP” in the lower right of the page. The LAP contains data that you entered for the previous year, so you will need to verify and revise this data for FFY 2011. The FFY2011 LAP is due to the WIC state office on Monday, August 31, 2010.
Several requests have been received for instructions to access Crystal Reports. These instructions are located on the Local WIC Provider web page.
If you have any questions about Crystal Reports or LAP Access, LAP Training or LAP Enhancements, you may contact Betty Cassidy at 800-392-8209 or by email at Betty.Cassidy@health.mo.gov.
- Nutrition Education Opportunity: WIC Registered Dietitians, Nutritionists, Registered Nurses, Certified Nurse Midwives, Nurse Practitioners, Physicians, and other Public Health Professionals who serve pre-conceptual, pregnant, postpartum and breastfeeding women will want to take advantage of this two-day National Maternal Nutrition Intensive Course, shown on October 14-15, 2010 in Jefferson City. This year's continuing education program focuses on the improvement of maternal and infant health through the delivery of risk-appropriate high-quality nutrition services. This training is presented by the University of Minnesota’s School of Public Health and the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of WIC and Nutrition Services, Nutrition Training Institute. Also sponsored by: the Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration at the U.S. Department of Health and the Human Services and Food and Nutrition Service at the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Please see the attached registration brochure for details or contact Michele Bailey at 573-751-6481 or Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov.
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Two (2) Part Time Breastfeeding Peer Counselors needed to support and encourage WIC breastfeeding moms. Contact with clients by telephone as well as face to face. Counselors will also facilitate group education sessions for prenatal clients and family members about the benefits/advantages of breastfeeding. Work with team members that are enthusiastic about getting our clients to breastfeeding.
Qualifications include: Successful breastfeeding experience for at least 6 months within the last 2 years. High School or GED, some college preferred; working knowledge of computers; experience on "Facebook" and texting preferred; good communication, organization and telephone skills. Work 20-24 hours a week; flexible days and times. Apply on-line at www.swopehealth.org. If you have questions about the on-line process, call 816.922.7645 ext 2100. For further information about the position, call Ernestine Persley RD, LD at 816.922.7645 ext 6345 or e-mail email@example.com.
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Nutritionist needed- Join our friendly and cohesive WIC team committed to providing excellent customer service, patient-centered counseling and relevant nutrition education one on one and group settings. Develops and documents individual care plans for high risk clients; conducts certifications for eligible clients; promotes breastfeeding activities and education.
Minimum qualifications include: Bachelors degree in a nutrition related field with at least 15 semester hours in food and nutrition, including at least one course in diet therapy and one course in community nutrition. College/university program must be ADA approved and supervised. At least one year of experience is preferred. Apply on line at: www.swopehealth.org. If you have questions about the on-line process, call 816.922.7645 ext 2100. For further information about the position, call Ernestine Persley RD, LD at 816.922.7645 ext 6345 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.