January 25, 2010 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: February Holidays- WIC Help Desk
SUBJECT 2: WIC Help Desk Meetings
SUBJECT 3: Certified Breastfeeding Educator Course (CBE)
SUBJECT 4: News Release on Bisphenol (BPA)
SUBJECT 5: Plastic Sleeve Shipment Plan
SUBJECT 6: Cash Value Benefit/Voucher
- February Holidays- WIC Help Desk: The State WIC Office will be closed but there will be WIC Help Desk coverage from 8:00-5:00 on Lincoln’s Birthday, February 12 and President’s Day, February 15, 2010. If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- WIC Help Desk Meetings: The WIC Help Desk staff will be meeting on a monthly basis beginning January 22, 2010. These meetings will be held on Fridays from 8:15 am to 10:15 am. There will be no Help Desk Coverage during this time. We chose these hours because some local agencies are not open on Fridays and there are not usually many calls. Although staff will not be available during these hours, feel free to leave a message and all calls will be returned as soon as possible. The dates in 2010 are as follows: January 22, February 19, March 19, April 20, May 21, June 18, July 23, August 20, September 24, October 22, November 12 and December 17. The purpose of these meetings is to review processes and procedures in order to provide the highest quality customer service to local agencies and WIC participants.
If you have questions, please contact the WIC Help Desk at 800-554-2544 or WICHelpDesk@health.mo.gov.
- Certified Breastfeeding Educator Course (CBE): The University of Missouri Health System/Columbia Regional Hospital is hosting a "Certified Breastfeeding Educator" course, taught by Debi Bocar. This 2 1/2 day course is scheduled for April 23, 24, & 25, in Columbia, MO. Please see the attached registration form for more information about the training. If you have any questions please contact Susan Henry-Schwendinger by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone at 573-499-6116.
- News Release on Bisphenol (BPA): The United States Department of Health and Human Services has issued a news release on Bisphenol A, known as BPA. This chemical has been used in making many hard plastic food containers such as baby bottles and reusable cups and the lining of metal food and beverage cans, including canned liquid infant formula. To view the actual news release please go to the following link at www.hhs.gov/news/press/2010pres/01/20100115c.html and for a fact sheet on how to minimize an infant’s exposure to BPA go to www.hhs.gov/safety/bpa/.
- Plastic Sleeve Shipment Plan: The State office plans to ship plastic sleeves on a quarterly basis. Local WIC Coordinators/Supply Contact Persons will receive an e-mail message on January 26, 2010 with a link to the survey monkey to answer questions about the plastic sleeves. Please complete the questionnaire by February 12, 2010. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Cash Value Benefit/Voucher: The dollar amount for the cash value benefit/voucher for pregnant, partial breastfeeding and postpartum women is changing from $8.00 per month to $10.00 month. USDA, realizing the importance of the health benefits of additional fruits and vegetables to women, notified the State office of this change. This change is currently scheduled for February 16. MOWINS will be changed at that time to reflect $10.00 for women receiving checks beginning February 16. Please remember at the end of the business day, you must properly “Log off” each MOWINS computer by right clicking the blue “W” and left clicking “Log off”. If you do not do this important step you will not receive the most current updates to MOWINS. If you have any questions, please contact your district TA staff member.