January 11, 2010 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Per Participant Rate Increase
SUBJECT 2: Additional Training Sites Scheduled for Breastfeeding Training
SUBJECT 3: Important MOWINS Update
SUBJECT 4: Signature Pads
SUBJECT 5: Scanning WIC 27 – Medical Documentation
SUBJECT 6: WIC Approved Breads and Tortillas (Effective January 15, 2010)
SUBJECT 7: Learning Dynamics WIC Tips
SUBJECT 8: Martin Luther King Day Holiday
SUBJECT 9: Transferring Participants from One Missouri LWP to Another
- PEr Participant Rate Increase: The per participant rate for FY2010 will increase from $10.30 to $12.00 for your contracted caseload retroactive to October 1, 2009. We specifically requested and in mid December received additional funding from USDA for local agency WIC services. We know many agencies are struggling to meet their growing caseloads and maintain vital services with dwindling local resources. These additional funds can be used to further compensate for the cost of providing local WIC services.
The increased funding requires an amendment to your 2010 WIC services contract. We have prepared the paperwork, and it is moving through the Department’s approval process. As soon as we know the amendments are ready to be sent, we will notify agencies via the WIC Update. Agencies will need to sign and return the amendment. When the signed contract amendment is received, we will immediately increase the funding in the agency’s Personnel Compensation line in the online invoicing application. If the agency wants to change the budget line amount, they will use the online Budget Adjustment. If you have any questions on this increase, please contact your TA staff.
- Additional Training Sites Scheduled for Breastfeeding Training: Additional training sites (Joplin, Springfield and Clay County) have been scheduled for the USDA training titled, “Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC”. Please see attached listing of training sites.
Please remember that all local WIC agencies were allocated additional funding to attend this training to cover travel, staff time, lodging, meals, etc. These funds were budgeted on the LAP on Special Funding (Grant 5). If funds need to be reallocated from one funding category to another a WIC-9 needs to be completed.
To register for the training, please complete the attached revised registration form and either fax to 573-526-1470 or email to Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov. If you have already registered and would like to change to one of the new training sites, please contact Michelle by phone at 573-751-6244 or by email at the address above.
- Important MOWINS Update: On January 1, 2010, changes were made to MOWINS checks to reflect the change to a new WIC banking company. It appears some computers running MOWINS did not get the change. Without the change, the checks are being sent to the wrong bank, causing great problems for WIC vendors and the State WIC Office. Please take these steps as soon as possible to insure all your WIC computers get the proper change. You only need to do this procedure once for each WIC computer.
- If logged into MOWINS, Right click on the blue “W” in the lower right corner of your screen. Left click on “Update Local Reference Data” and wait until it runs, then left click on “Reset Local Reference Data” and wait until it runs. You must then left click on “Log off”. Right click on the W and left click “Log off”. Left Click “Yes” to log off. Wait until the W goes away. Restart MOWINS and continue WIC business. See attachment for a screen shot.
- If not presently logged into MOWINS, the next time you go MOWINS log on and then follow the above steps before conducting WIC business.
At the end of the business day, you must properly “Log off” each MOWINS computer by right clicking the blue “W” and left clicking “Log off”.
If you have questions, please contact the WIC Help Desk at 800-554-2544 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Signature Pads: On December 11, 2009 we installed MOWINS Release 1.42.9322.1055. We are aware there is a problem with the signature pad “Next” button that is new with this release. We have been working with CSC/Covansys to fix the problem. Many of you have communicated to us a “work around” until we can get the problem fixed. You are doing one of the following: Circling the “Next” button, placing a large X over the “Next” button or slashing thru the “Next” button. Continue to do what works for you to activate the “Next” button.
We apologize for the inconvenience and are diligently working on a solution.
If you have questions, please contact Larry Rutledge at Larry.Rutledge@health.mo.gov or 573-526-0226 or 800-392-8209.
- Scanning WIC 27 – Medical Documentation Form: A reminder - you must scan the WIC 27 Medical Documentation form into MOWINS when the physician has ordered an exempt formula for a participant. If this completed form is not scanned into MOWINS there is no record to what formula/food the physician has ordered. Please contact your district TA team if you have any questions.
- WIC Approved Breads and Tortillas (Effective January 15, 2010): In order to increase availability and variety of WIC approved breads and tortillas for WIC participates, the State WIC office reopened the selection process for breads and tortillas.
The attached are lists of WIC approved breads and tortillas (text and draft pictorial versions). Participants will be able to purchase them at WIC vendors effective January 15, 2010. Vendors are also being notified. The Missouri WIC Approved Bread and Tortilla pictorial brochure (#553) will be shipped to all local WIC providers as soon as it is printed. The projected shipping date is the week of February 8, 2010. In the meantime, please feel free to make copies of the attached.
Please share this information with your staff and participants. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at 1-800-392-8209 or e-mail Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Learning Dynamics WIC Tips: Attached is the latest WIC Customer Service Tips newsletter from Learning Dynamics. In the spirit of the New Year, this issue provides 10 WIC customer service resolutions. I hope you find the list enjoyable and educational. Please contact your district TA team if you have any questions.
- Martin Luther King Day Holiday: The State WIC Office will be closed and there will be no WIC Help Desk coverage on Martin Luther King Day, January 18, 2010.
If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Transferring Participants from One Missouri LWP to Another:
When a participant comes to your agency, please be sure to do a statewide search using the demographics (Last Name, First Initial) search. This will help prevent duplicate State WIC ID and Household Numbers. If after doing this search and verifying information there is a match to your participant, transfer them into your agency as usual.
If all members of a household will not be transferring (e.g. child custody change) be sure to create a new Household ID for the participant that is transferring to your agency so that only that participant’s demographics (address) are changed and not the entire family.
If you have questions, please contact the WIC Help Desk at 800-554-2544 or WICHelpDesk@health.mo.gov.