February 16, 2010 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Additional Breastfeeding Training Funds
SUBJECT 2: Help Desk Meetings
SUBJECT 3: Cash Value Voucher for Women Dollar Amount Change
SUBJECT 4: Additional Training Site Scheduled for Breastfeeding Training
SUBJECT 5: Initial Nutrition Education PowerPoint Presentation
SUBJECT 6: First Free Mobile Health Service for Pregnant Women and New Mothers
SUBJECT 7: Updated WIC Resource Request Form
- Additional Breastfeeding Training Funds: Additional breastfeeding training funds are available. Special funding has been provided to agencies through Special Funding 5 for local WIC provider staff to attend “Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC: Breastfeeding Training for All WIC Staff.” Does your agency need additional funds to send staff to Breastfeeding Training? Do you need funds for travel costs or staff salaries for agency staff to attend this training? If your agency needs more funds than what was originally allocated in Special Funding 5 for salary, travel, hotel for this training, please send an email to WICOperations@health.mo.gov. Give us: Your Name, Your Agency Name, Amount Requested, and the Budget Plan for spending the funding. Requests will be accepted until Feb 18th. Smaller agencies will be given preference for the funding. Please contact your TA Staff with questions.
- Help Desk Meetings: This is a reminder of the monthly WIC help desk meetings that will take place this year. The next meeting is scheduled on Friday, February 19, 2010 from 8:15am to 10:15am. There will be No Help Desk coverage during this time. Please feel free to leave a message on the help desk voice mail. All calls will be returned as soon as possible. The remaining dates in 2010 are as follows: March 12, April 30, May 21, June 18, July 23, August 20, September 24, October 22, November 12 and December 17. These meetings will also be from 8:15am to 10:15am. The purpose of the meetings is to review processes and procedures in order to provide quality customer service to local agencies and WIC participants. Please contact the WIC Help Desk at 800-554-2544 or WICHelpDesk@health.mo.gov if you have questions.
- Cash Value Voucher for Women Dollar Amount Change: The dollar amount for the cash value benefit/voucher for pregnant, partial breastfeeding and postpartum women is changing from $8.00 per month to $10.00 month. USDA, realizing the importance of the health benefits of additional fruits and vegetables to women, notified the State office of this change. This change is currently scheduled for February 16. MOWINS will be changed at that time to reflect $10.00 for women receiving checks beginning February 16. Please remember at the end of the business day, you must properly “Log off” each MOWINS computer by right clicking the blue “W” and left clicking “Log off”. If you do not do this important step you will not receive the most current updates to MOWINS. If you have any questions, please contact your district TA staff member.
Please note the addition of a table on page 2 in WOM ER #2.07900 that gives information about the amount of foods that are to be given to a fully breastfeeding mom of multiples from the same pregnancy. This should help you understand how this is done in MOWINS.
Please implement these policies as of February 16th, 2010. These policies will replace the policies posted in the 2009-2010 WOM.
- ER# 2.06950 Cash Value Benefit/Voucher (CVB)
- ER# 2.07000 Guidelines for Issuance of Formulas, WIC-Eligible Medical Foods, and Other Supplemental Foods under Food Package III
- ER# 2.07900 Guidelines for Issuance Food Packages V, VI and VII to Women
The participant will need a new food prescription to get the $10.00 CVV for the non-breastfeeding, prenatal and partial breastfeeding women. The Help Desk has already received a call from clerks that noticed checks with the wrong dollar amount on the fruit and vegetable checks. Clerks are not allowed to add a food prescription. Only Nutritionists, CPAs, and WIC Certifiers can add the necessary food prescription.
- Additional Training Site Scheduled for Breastfeeding Training: Phelps County Health Department has been added as an additional training site for the USDA training titled, “Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC: Breastfeeding Training for All WIC Staff”. Please remember that all local WIC agencies were allocated additional funding to attend this training to cover travel, staff time, lodging, meals, etc. These funds were budgeted on the LAP on Special Funding (Grant 5). If funds need to be reallocated from one funding category to another a WIC-9 needs to be completed.
To register for the training, please complete the attached revised registration form and either fax to 573-526-1470 or email to Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov. If you have already registered and would like to change to the new training site, please send Michelle an email, at the email address above, stating what site you are currently registered at an what site you would like to move to.
- Initial Nutrition Education PowerPoint Presentation: The Initial Nutrition Education PowerPoint presentation has been updated and now contains the new food package information. The original PowerPoint was developed due to the number of monitoring findings related to the initial nutrition education contact information. By using the Initial Nutrition Education PowerPoint presentation local WIC providers can be assured all components of the required information will be presented to the WIC participant. The Initial Nutrition Education PowerPoint presentation contains colored slides with speaker notes and is designed to be used electronically or printed. Neither the electronic version nor printed version is a stand-alone educational tool and must be reviewed with the participant. The Initial Nutrition Education PowerPoint can be found on the WIC website under LWP/Breastfeeding and Nutrition Education. It will be maintained and updated by the State WIC office. All recommendations for revisions or questions should be directed to your district nutritionist. You can access this power point and speaker notes at the WICLWP website.
- First Free Mobile Health Service for Pregnant Women, New Mothers: "U.S. Chief Technology Officer Announces Launch of First Free Mobile Health Service for Pregnant Women, New Mothers" http://text4baby.org/. "Pregnant women and new mothers will be able to get health information delivered regularly to their mobile phones by text message at no charge under an innovative public service program being launched today by a coalition of mobile phone service providers, health professionals, and Federal, State, and Local agencies. The new program, called text4baby, is a free mobile information service that provides timely health information to women from early pregnancy through their babies' first year. The service sends important health tips that are timed to the mother's stage of pregnancy or the baby's age." More at:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/support-images/Text4Baby%20Release_4%20Feb.pdf. This is a great service to share with WIC participants. The information can be printed on slips of paper to pass out in clinics. If you have any questions, please contact your district TA staff member.
- Updated WIC Resource Request Form: Attached is the WIC Supply Request Form for Local WIC Providers (WIC 8). Please begin using the new form effective February 16, 2010. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
Baby Health Information via cell phone
ER#2.06950 Cash Value Benefit Voucher Policy
ER# 2.07000 Guidelines for Food Package III
ER# 2.07900 Guidelines for Food Package V VI and VII Women