December 6, 2010 WIC Update

WIC Logo

SUBJECT 1:  Breastfeeding Community Partnership Special Funding Project
SUBJECT 2:  Christmas and New Year’s Holidays
SUBJECT 3:  FFY 2010 End of Year Billing Due December 10, 2010
SUBJECT 4:  Text4Baby
SUBJECT 5:  Folic acid Awareness Week - January 2-8, 2011

  1. Breastfeeding Community Partnership Special Funding Project: The state WIC office is pleased to announce the opportunity for local WIC providers to apply for special funding to implement evidence-based breastfeeding interventions within their community. This is a two year project and all funds must be expended by September 30, 2012. The funding opportunity focuses on two major areas:
    1. Maternity care practices related to breastfeeding, and
    2. Lactation support in the workplace.

    Please see the attached overview of the Breastfeeding Community Partnership Special Funding Project for more information. If you would like to apply, please complete the attached application and budget sheet (Attachment A) and email to Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov by COB on January 7, 2011. If you have any questions about the project please contact Kathy Mertzlufft by the email address above or by phone at 573-526-4792.

  2. Christmas and New Year’s Holidays:  The State WIC Office will be closed for Christmas on Friday, December 24, 2010 and for New Year’s on Friday, December 31, 2010.
     If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.

  3. FFY 2010 End of Year Billing Due December 10, 2010:  The deadline for submission of FFY 2010 end of year invoices is Friday, December 10, 2010.  Expenses must have been incurred prior to October 1, 2010 to qualify for the FFY 2010 funding year.  The grant year will close the end of December and payments beyond this date are not possible.

    September Invoice due 10-10-2010
    SUPP1 due 11-10-2010
    SUPP2 due 12-10-2010 – ABSOLUTE DEADLINE

    Please contact your District Technical Assistance staff if you need assistance.
  1. Text for Baby:  Thanks to the dedicated support of WIC local agency providers, Missouri continues to rank 8th in the nation with 3,861 pregnant women and new moms participating in Text4baby as of November 26, 2010.  Missouri ranks even higher, 6th in the nation, when weighted by the number of pregnancies.  WIC providers have eagerly promoted the Text4baby free mobile information service as an outstanding opportunity to connect their participants to recommended practices and resources that are vital to having a healthy pregnancy and a healthy new baby.  Nationwide there are now 109,802 Text4baby enrollees.  Pregnant women constitute 59% of the subscribers and the remaining 41% are post-partum women.  Of total enrollees, 94% speak English and 6% speak Spanish.  Visit www.text4baby.org for more information.  To request additional Text4baby posters (18”x24” and 8.5”x11”) and tear pads in Caucasian, African American and Spanish, contact Leslie Seifert at 573.751.6261 or leslie.seifert@health.mo.gov.

  2. Folic acid Awareness Week:  The following is from the National WIC Association:  It’s time to plan your activities for Folic acid Awareness Week.  The theme is January 2-8, 2011 is Folic Acid Awareness Week, but every week is folic acid awareness week.

    New materials have been developed and are available on the National Council on Folic Acid website http://www.folicacidinfo.org/ .  On the left side of the home page, click on “FOLIC ACID RESOURCES”, and then click on “FOLIC ACID INFO”.  The first item provides a link to free publications from CDC.  The 2011 FAAW Health Calendar is a PowerPoint presentation.  To activate the web links, view it in slide show mode.

    Do your part to spread the folic acid message in 2011!  If you have any questions, please contact your district TA nutritionist.

Attachments:
FY2011 BF Special Funding Overview
FY2011 BF Special Funding Application
Attachment A - FY2011 Special Funding