April 19, 2010 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Business Case for Breastfeeding Conference
SUBJECT 2: MOWINS Enhancements Update
SUBJECT 3: Change to ER# 1.06200- Participant Violations
SUBJECT 4: Revised Medical Documentation-Healthcare Provider Authorization Form (WIC 27)
SUBJECT 5: New Descriptions for Enfamil LIPIL Formulas Effective Date May 3, 2010 - Important!
SUBJECT 6: 2010-2011 Dept. of Health and Senior Services Program for Dietetic Interns
SUBJECT 7: Updates on the Translated Welcome to WIC Brochures (Printable Version)
- Business Case for Breastfeeding Conference: Pettis County WIC is hosting “The Business Case for Breastfeeding” on Monday, July 12, 2010 in Sedalia. This conference covers how to present the “business case” for breastfeeding to employers, including understanding employer barriers to providing breastfeeding support, “business” messages that resonate, and creative outreach strategies. LCERPs for Lactation Consultants will be provided. If interested in attending, please complete the attached registration form and fax to Pettis County WIC at 660-827-1141. Seating is limited, so please submit your registration as soon as possible. If you have any questions please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792.
- MOWINS Enhancements Update: Some enhancements to MOWINS have been completed and you will see them soon. In the next version of MOWINS, releases 2.00, 2.01 and 2.02, which is planned to be placed in production on May 24, 2010, there will be many bug fixes and some enhancements: There will no longer be a default race on the Demographics page. Currently the system defaults to American Indian or Alaskan Native. Also MOWINS will be compatible with the Microsoft Vista operating system, currently MOWINS works only with Windows XP. Another enhancement due in the next few months is that the MOWINS logo will replace the SPIRIT logo when users log onto MOWINS. Additional information on the details of what will be in releases 2.00, 2.01 and 2.02 will be sent in the next few weeks.
The suggestions you have sent to the MOWINS Enhancement web form since its creation in October, 2009 have been analyzed. There were over 160 suggestions, so it has taken time to assess them. Several LWP staff have asked for the following enhancements: 1) the ability to adjust the cycle (monthly, bi-monthly and tri-monthly) for the entire family, not just an individual; 2) add general notes in the Certification Guided Script and 3) the ability to view a participant’s record before deciding to transfer him/her to an agency. We are now working to prioritize the enhancement requests so they can be sent to the contractor, CSC Covansys, as soon as possible.
If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Change to ER# 1.06200- Participant Violations: We have changed ER# 1.06200 (attached) to remove references to participant violations regarding breast pumps. There were conflicts between ER# 1.06200 and ER# 6.05100, the Breast Pump policy. The conflicts have now been resolved. Guidance on participant violations regarding breast pumps can be found in ER# 6.05100.
If you have questions about the Participant Violations policy, contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209. If you have questions about the Breast Pump policy, contact Kathy Mertzlufft at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or 573-526-4792 or 800-392-8209.
- Revised Medical Documentation-Healthcare Provider Authorization Form (WIC 27): The WIC 27 Medical Documentation form has been revised with input from LWPs. Revisions to the new form include the following:
- All sections to be completed by the Healthcare provider and LWP staff are on the front page. This will enable the scanning of only one page (front page) into MOWINS instead of two pages.
- The back page has the approved formula listing for standard contract formulas and specialty formula for infants, children and women.
- The form can be completed electronically by healthcare providers who requested this option and then be given to the participant to take back to the LWP or faxed to the LWP. (The form cannot be submitted electronically from the Health Care Provider to LWPs.)
If you have any questions, please contact your district TA staff nutritionist.
- New Descriptions for Enfamil LIPIL Formulas Effective Date May 3, 2010–Important: As announced through the WIC Weekly Update (March 8, 2010), the State office will be updating descriptions for Enfamil LIPIL formulas on Sunday, May 2, 2010. Please see the attached sheet for new descriptions. It is important that all MOWINS users be logged off by 6:00 a.m., Sunday, May 2, 2010 to receive the food item updates on Monday, May 3. Please share the information and attachment with your staff. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov. Please remember: DO NOT POST THIS ATTACHMENT IN YOUR CLINICS. It is for local agency staff reference only.
- 2010-2011 Dept. of Health and Senior Services Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI): We are pleased to announce that the four dietetic interns to begin in September 2010 have been selected. Two of the incoming interns are from local WIC provider agencies and will bring a valuable perspective to the program. We had some excellent candidates for the Missouri Program. Our interns for this next year are: Brittany Rhoad (Camden Co.), Jillian Miranda (TMC), Betsy Smith (Missouri State University), and Megan Whitesides (University of Central Missouri). For more information about the MDHSS Program for Dietetic Interns, please contact Vicki Strickland at Vicki.Strickland@health.mo.gov or 573-526-7961.
- Updates on the Translated Welcome to WIC Brochures (Printable Version): The Welcome to WIC brochure has been translated into 11 languages (Arabic, Bosnian, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese, and Hmong) and re-formatted to letter size (8.5” x 11”). Please feel free to download and make copies as needed. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
Business Case for BF Brochure
Contract Formula Descriptions
ER 1 06200 - Participant Violations
Welcome to WIC Brochures:
Arabic, Bosnian, Chinese, Farsi, Hmong, Korean, Russian, Somali, Spanish, and Vietnamese.