September 21, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Help Desk Coverage on Columbus Day and Veterans Day
SUBJECT 2: Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Training
SUBJECT 3: Caseload Participation in Crystal
SUBJECT 4: Updated WIC Supply and Resource Request Form (WIC 8)
SUBJECT 5: Update on WIC Resource Shipment
SUBJECT 6: Recycling MICR Ink Cartridges
SUBJECT 7: New WIC-38 Form
- Help Desk Coverage on Columbus Day and Veterans Day: There will be coverage on the WIC Help Desk from 8:00-5:00 on October 12, 2009 for Columbus Day and November 11, 2009 for Veterans Day. However, the State WIC Office will be closed on these days as they are state holidays. If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Training: The 2-day training, "Loving Support through Peer Counseling", has been scheduled this fall in different areas throughout the state. This is a highly interactive training on the basics of breastfeeding and how to counsel mothers. A few openings are left, if an agency would like to send a CPA or nutritionist to this training. Please see the attached registration form with dates and training sites. Also keep in mind that additional breastfeeding training opportunities will be available later in the fiscal year (2010). Email Kathy Mertzlufft at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or call her at 573-526-4792 if you have any questions.
- Caseload Participation in Crystal: WIC local agency caseload participation for August 2009 is now available in Crystal Reports. The combined HANDS and MOWINS caseload participation is available on Crystal in both Excel and PDF format.
How do I access the new caseload participation count for my WIC local agency? Log on to Crystal reports and click on the plus sign (+) next to the Public Folders. Click on the plus sign (+) next to the WIC Reports – Local Agency. Next, click on the (+) sign in front of the Caseload Management line, then click on the HWIAC425-01 Reports (MOWINS & HANDS) line, and finally click on 11-August’09 FY09 HWIAC425-01+MOWINS for either Excel or PDF Reports. The formatting will look similar to the old HANDS 425 report. It is actually combined HANDS and MOWINS data.
- July caseload participation has been updated with those participants who had a recertification date in the month before they returned to the agency. MOWINS credits the original recertification month with the caseload participation and assigns a partial food package.
- Fully breastfeeding infants are included in this caseload count.
If you have questions, please contact your District TA Staff person.
- Attached is the new WIC Resource Request Form: WIC Supply and Resource Request Form – Local WIC Providers (WIC 8)
Please begin using the new form effective October 1, 2009. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Update on WIC Resource Shipment: The following are updates on WIC resource shipments:
- Medical Documentation Form (WIC 27)
The State office shipped the WIC 27 form to all local WIC providers on September 16 and 17, 2009 via UPS. If your agency needs additional forms, please order from the warehouse using the updated WIC Resource Request Form (WIC 8).
- New Nutrition Handouts
“WIC Foods for Moms-To-Be and Children (#1067)” and “Get Cookin’ with Beans (# 1272)” are being printed. The State office will ship the new handouts to all local WIC providers. Please do not order these handouts until your agency gets a shipment from the State office. Local WIC providers will be notified when it is shipped through the WIC Update.
- National WIC Association 2010 Calendars (English Version)
The calendars were shipped to all local WIC providers on September 18, 2009 via UPS. Please begin providing a calendar to your participants.
- National WIC Association 2010 Calendars (Spanish Version) – The Spanish calendars had to be destroyed due to a printing error at NWA. When they are available, we will ship them to the LWPS. If you received any of the Spanish calendars, please destroy them. Do not give the Spanish calendars to your participants until we send you the corrected version.
- WIC Approved New Food Poster (20” x 30”)
The state office plans to ship the poster by the middle of October, 2009. We will notify local WIC providers through the WIC Update.
- Eat A Rainbow Every Day Poster (English & Spanish)
The State office plans to mail a couple of posters to all local WIC providers during the month of October, 2009.
Please share the information above with your staff. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Medical Documentation Form (WIC 27)
- Recycling MICR Ink Cartridges: If you want to recycle used ST-9512 and ST-9530 MICR ink cartridges, there is a free and easy way to do so. See the attached return label with instructions. You can print off the label and make copies as needed. The postage has already been paid. Also, we have attached the instructions for changing the ink cartridges for the ST-9512 and the ST-9530 MICR printers.
If you have questions, you may contact Larry Rutledge at Larry.Rutledge@health.mo.gov or 573-526-0226 or 800-392-8209.
- New WIC-38 Form: We have revised the WIC-38 form. Here is a brief description of the sections you will need to fill out on the new form. If you have a change to the demographic tab in MOWINS or/and the common area in HANDS you will need to fill out Sections 1, 2, and 3. If you have a duplicate DCN in HANDS and/or a duplicate SWID in MOWINS you will need to fill out Sections 1, 2, 4 and 5. Please start using the revised version of the WIC 38 form (attached) right away and destroy the previous version. This form can be found at MOWINS under Help Desk Information. You can email completed forms to the WIC Help Desk at WICHelpDesk@health.mo.gov or fax forms to 573-526-1470. If you have questions about this form you may contact Jayna Slade at the WIC Help Desk 800-554-2544.