October 5, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: MOWINS - Infant Health Information Tab – Breastfeeding (BF) Amounts
SUBJECT 2: Sesame Street Healthy Habits for Life Kits – Additional Supply
SUBJECT 3: 2010 Holidays
SUBJECT 4: Medical Documentation FAQs
SUBJECT 5: Ink Cartridges for WIC Printers
SUBJECT 6: Extra Formula
SUBJECT 7: New and Translated Resource Items
- MOWINS - Infant Health Information Tab – Breastfeeding (BF) Amounts: Effective Tuesday, October 6th, the BF Amount “Not Applicable” will be disabled in the Health Information Tab for Infants. All active certification records for Infants which are marked as “Currently Breastfed” and have the BF Amount “Not Applicable” will be modified to BF Amount “Fully BF”.
The infant Health Information Tab must be completed before the mother’s food prescription can be done. The correct BF amount on the infant’s record, determines the correct Infant food prescription and amount of formula and the correct BF mother’s food package.
If you have any questions, please contact Melissa Seaver at Melissa.email@example.com or 573-751-6489.
- Sesame Street Healthy Habits for Life Kits – Additional Supply: Due to the overwhelming request for additional Sesame Street Healthy Habits for Life kits, more kits were ordered. The 2nd supply of the kits has arrived. Each WIC family should receive one of the Sesame Street Healthy Habits for Life kits. If your agency is in need of additional kits please complete the attached form and fax it the person listed on the form. If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact your district technical assistance (TA) team.
- 2010 Holidays: To plan for Help Desk coverage in 2010, we need LWPs to tell us whether or not they will be open on the state holidays in 2010. We have attached a survey that we request either the WIC Coordinator or Nutrition Coordinator of each agency to complete and send to Susan Guerrant by Friday, October 16.
If you have questions, please contact Susan Guerrant at Susan.Guerrant@health.mo.gov or 573-751-3661 or 800-392-8209.
- Medical Documentation FAQs: The state WIC office has created frequently asked questions regarding medical documentation. The FAQs can be found on the Food Packages website. The state office will continue to update this resource as needed. If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact your district technical assistance (TA) team.
- Ink Cartridges for WIC Printers: This is a reminder to use the correct ink cartridge for WIC printers. This has particularly been a problem with the Xerox 8400/8500/8560 color laser printers the state WIC Office provides to local WIC providers. Each of these printers has its own ink cartridges. They are not interchangeable. Please use the genuine cartridge that is designed to be used with the printer. For example, the Xerox 8500 printer uses the genuine Xerox ink cartridge for the 8500. Do not use any other ink cartridge with this printer. Doing so will cause problems with the printer and will void Xerox’s warranty. If you have any questions about ink cartridges, please contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Extra Formula: Attached is a current listing of extra formula available at different LWPs and guiding principles for shipping created to assist you when sending or receiving extra supplies of infant formula. Purple shading means the formula will be expiring in 2009 or early 2010. Please check the listing in order to utilize formulas with the most recent expiration date first, prior to placing an order, to help keep food costs down. Also be sure to notify your district nutritionist or Michelle Nienhuis at Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov when you have unused formula available at your agency so it may be added to the database. If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Nienhuis at 1-800-392-8209.
- New and Translated Resource Items: New WIC nutrition education and translated resource items are available for downloading through the website. Please feel free to download and make copies as needed. If you have any suggestion and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.