November 23, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: 2009 End of Year Billing is due December 10, 2009
SUBJECT 2: Breastfeeding Training for Local WIC Staff
SUBJECT 3: New BFPC Program Coordinator
SUBJECT 4: Extra Formula
SUBJECT 5: SAVE THE DATE – 2010 WIC Conference
- 2009 End of Year Billing is due December 10, 2009: The FFY 09 end of year deadline for invoices is December 10, 2009. Expenses must have been incurred prior to October 1, 2009 to qualify for the FFY 09 funding year. The grant year will close the end of December and payments beyond this date are not possible.
September Invoice due 10-10-09
SUPP1 due 11-10-09
SUPP2 due 12-10-09 – ABSOLUTE DEADLINE
Please contact your District Technical Assistance Staff for assistance.
- Breastfeeding Training for Local WIC Staff: The USDA training titled, “Using Loving Support to Grow and Glow in WIC”, is a breastfeeding training for all local WIC staff that has been scheduled to begin in February 2010. Fifteen trainings are currently scheduled in locations throughout the state. All local agency WIC staff, including existing and newly hired staff, are required to attend one of these trainings. Nutritionist and CPAs must attend both days of training and all other staff (WIC Coordinators, WIC Clerks, HPAs, Certifiers, etc.) need to only attend the first day, with the second day being optional.
We recommend that all staff attend this training, but exceptions are being made for those that have a strong background in lactation management and have recently attended Breastfeeding Peer Counseling or Breastfeeding Coordinator training. If someone from your agency meets this criteria and would like to be excused from attending or you have any other questions please contact Kathy Mertzlufft, WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator, at 573-526-4792. To register for the training please complete the attached registration form and either fax to 573-526-1470 or email to Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov.
- New BFPC Program Coordinator: Kathy Mertzlufft has taken the position of WIC Breastfeeding Coordinator which then vacated the position of Breastfeeding Peer Counseling (BFPC) Program Coordinator. It is our pleasure to announce that Leona Greer joined our staff on November 16th, as a Nutritionist III, to fill this position. Leona has a Master’s Degree in Nutrition and is an IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant). Some of you that have been in WIC for a while may remember Leona when she worked as a Nutritionist at Randolph County several years ago. She brings with her local WIC agency and peer counseling experience. Leona can be contacted by email at Leona.Greer@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-751-6498. Kathy and Leona are our WIC breastfeeding team and will work closely together on all breastfeeding issues in WIC. Please join us in welcoming Leona to WIC!
- Extra Formula: Attached is a current listing of extra formula available at different LWPs and guiding principles for shipping created to assist you when sending or receiving extra supplies of infant formula. Red shading means the formula will be expiring in the next quarter. Please check the listing in order to utilize formulas with the most recent expiration date first, prior to placing an order, to help keep food costs down. Also be sure to notify your district nutritionist or Michelle Nienhuis at Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov when you have unused formula available at your agency so it may be added to the database. If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Nienhuis at 1-800-392-8209.
- SAVE THE DATE – 2010 WIC Conference: A statewide WIC conference is scheduled for October 25-27, 2010 in Jefferson City at the Capitol Plaza Hotel. The state office is collaborating with the Missouri WIC Association to offer this conference. The conference will begin at 1:00 p.m. on October 25 and end at noon on October 27. Funds will be provided in local agency FY2011 contracts to send staff to this conference. More information on the conference will be forthcoming.