March 30, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Pre-Print Clinics
SUBJECT 2: Revised Supply Request Form (WIC-8) and the Nutrition Resource Request Form (WIC-7)
SUBJECT 3: New and Discontinued Resource Items
SUBJECT 4: National Women’s Health Week
- Pre-Print Clinics: Effective immediately, local agencies that have transitioned to MOWINS will not be allowed to pre-print checks at their main site and bring those checks to a satellite clinic to distribute to participants. Instead, agencies will use DSL (high-speed connection) if it is available and approved by the State WIC Office. Otherwise, these clinics will use the MOWINS off-line method or use paper forms of the WIC-1-M, WIC-2-M, WIC-10-M, etc. When staff return to the main site they will enter the information into MOWINS and then mail checks (refer to ER 3.05500) to the participants. The reason for this change is that we will soon transition to the new food packages, which require nutrition tailoring based on individual participant nutritional needs. Pre-printing checks will not allow the food packages to be tailored. Prior to rollout on MOWINS, State WIC office staff will contact local agencies to jointly determine the best method for satellite clinics.
If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Revised Supply Request Form (WIC-8) and the Nutrition Resource Request Form (WIC-7): Both the WIC Supply Request Form (WIC-8) and WIC Nutrition Education Resource Request Form (WIC-7) were revised. Please begin using the revised forms immediately when ordering supplies and resources from the DHSS Warehouse. If you have suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- New and Discontinued Resource Items: The following are new nutrition education resource items and discontinued item:
New Printed Items Available in the Warehouse (please order using the WIC 7 form)
- Playing With Your Baby (#1092)
- Playing With Your 1-3 Year Old (#1093)
- Playing With Your 4-6 Year Old (#1094)
- Exercise During Pregnancy (#1095)
- My Pyramid in Action Tip – Pregnant Women (#599)
- Eat Healthy Sticker (Bilingual) (#1192)
- Growing Girl (Sticker) (# 1193)
- Growing Boy (Sticker) (#1194)
Available for Downloading and Making Copies:
Substance Use: Risks to You and Your Family (#509)
WIC Nutrition Quiz Games
WIC Children’s Recipes
USDA Civil Rights Statement in Various Languages (Longer Statement)
USDA Civil Rights Statement in Various Languages (Shorter Version)
New Nutrition Resource Items Available at the DHSS Warehouse
The My Pyramid for Pregnancy handout (#187) - This will be discontinued when it is used up.
If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- National Women’s Health Week: Now is the time to begin planning for National Women's Health Week, a time when women across the country are reminded to take small, manageable steps for a longer, healthier, and happier life. The Office on Women's Health is requesting assistance in:
- Promoting the week by hosting events
Any organization can support National Women's Health Week by holding a women's health activity at the local level.
- Soliciting participation in the WOMAN Challenge (an eight week physical activity challenge)
Register to participate in this free challenge that encourages women to get at least 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity each week. Participants will be able to track their progress to see how they measure up against others. To help participants reach their goals, participants will receive a weekly newsletter with fitness and nutrition tips.
- Encouraging staff/clients to take the Check-Up Day Pledge
Join the hundreds of women who are taking the time to schedule at least one of the preventive health screenings recommended by their health care provider during May. You will only be asked to select your state (Missouri) - NO personal information is requested.
- Promoting the week by hosting events
WIC-7 WIC Nutrition Education Resource Request
WIC-8 Supply Request
WIC NEW EDUCATION ITEMS - Warehouse