July 13, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: World Breastfeeding Week Promotion
SUBJECT 2: New Food Package – Summary of Promotional Materials
SUBJECT 3: Update on Forms (HANDS and MOWINS)
SUBJECT 4: Discontinuation Date Change - Nutramigen LIPIL (Powder, 16 oz can
SUBJECT 5: National WIC Association’s (NWA) 2010 Calendars
SUBJECT 6: MOWINS Release 1.39.05
SUBJECT 7: Local Agency Plan (LAP) for 2010
SUBJECT 8: June 2009 Caseload Report
SUBJECT 9: WIC Online Invoicing Application Suggestions for 2010
SUBJECT 10: 2010 Outreach Funding—How to Apply?
- World Breastfeeding Week Promotion: August 1-7 is designated each year as World Breastfeeding Week by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) and the entire month of August is designated Missouri Breastfeeding Month. The theme for this year is “Breastfeeding: A Vital Emergency Response Are you ready?” The objective of this year’s theme is to draw attention to the vital role that breastfeeding plays in emergencies worldwide.
Visit the ILCA website or www.worldbreastfeedingweek.org for more information on World Breastfeeding Week. Breastfeeding promotion kits that contain information on breastfeeding in an eco-friendly bag and table tents that depict the nutritional value of breast milk are available to order. Please use the attached order form and fax to Karen Schenk at 573-751-6185. There is a limit of 50 promotion kits per order and supplies are limited. For additional breastfeeding literature please visit the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services warehouse website.
For promoting breastfeeding activities in your community, attached are a sample news release, sample breastfeeding proclamation, and suggested promotion activities from the National WIC Association. If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 573-526-4792.
- New Food Package – Summary of Promotional Materials: The following is a summary of the release of new food package promotional materials:
- In December 2008, LWPs received the Sesame Street Healthy Habits for Life kits and a flyer to promote fruits and vegetables.
- An icon was added to the WIC Home Page as a location for posting New Food Package Information. As they are developed, all materials are posted to the Food Packages website.
- Current participant materials, which will be available in the DHSS warehouse soon:
- Single page nutrition education handouts for new food items including whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and evaporated milk.
- A shopping guide for buying fruits and vegetables.
- A handout that meets the “all required” nutrition education contact requirement to promote breastfeeding. The handout compares the new food packages for a fully breastfeeding mom and baby, partially breastfeeding, and fully formula feeding dyad.
- A poster with photos of sample food packages for children and women.
- A packet for health care providers was released in the April 27, 2009 WIC Update. Use these materials to communicate the upcoming changes with the providers you work with. These items can also be found on the food package web site.
- A link to the video for health care providers, “Partnering with WIC for Breastfeeding Success,” to describe how WIC promotes breastfeeding. Contact Kathy Mertzlufft at Kathy.email@example.com to request additional copies of the video. This is linked at Food Packages.
Promotional materials that are being developed include:
- A WIC folder insert of WIC Foods for Children and WIC Foods for Moms to Be listing the food received in the new package for each of these categories.
- Clinic posters with photos of sample food packages for each category and posters of new food items.
- A New Food Package Lesson Plan.
- Single page participant nutrition education handout for soy foods (soy milk and tofu).
- Pictorial food list.
- A press release about the new food package that will meet LWP requirements for public notification.
You may direct questions or comments about participant education and promotional materials to Rita Arni at 573.751.8159 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Update on MOWINS Forms: The following is a list of required forms that were developed for use in MOWINS.
- Participant’s Rights and Responsibilities (bilingual) Green Laminated Sheet (WIC -10-LAM)
- WIC Certification MOWINS Back-Up (WIC 1&2 M)
- Rights and Responsibilities (English) MOWINS Back-Up (WIC -10-EN-M)
- Rights and Responsibilities (Spanish) MOWINS Back-Up (WIC -10-SP-M)
- Proof of Eligibility MOWINS Back-Up (WIC 30-M)
- Household Food Instrument Register MOWINS Back-Up (WIC 31-M)
If you have any HANDS forms of those listed above, please recycle them. Please destroy the Participant’s Rights and Responsibilities (bilingual) Yellow and/or Blue Laminated Sheets. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Discontinuation Date Change - Nutramigen LIPIL (Powder, 16 oz can): The discontinuation date for Nutramigen LIPIL (Powder 16 oz can) has changed from August 1, 2009 to September 30, 2009. According to the letter from Mead Johnson Nutritionals dated July 7, 2009, Nutramigen LIPIL (powder) may be available at WIC vendors until October 2009. Therefore, the State Office has decided to keep Nutramigen LIPIL (Powder) available in MOWINS until September 30, 2009 instead of the discontinuation date (August 1, 2009) indicated in an earlier WIC Weekly Update (April 3, 2009).
If your agency has participants who are receiving Nutramigen LIPIL (Powder), it is very important to contact the local WIC vendors for availability before issuing checks. The concentrate and ready-to-use forms of Nutramigen LIPIL will continue to be available at WIC vendors. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- National WIC Association’s (NWA) 2010 Calendars: The State Office has purchased the 2010 National WIC Association’s (NWA) Calendars (English and Spanish) for local WIC providers. The State office has developed a simple survey to determine which agencies are interested in receiving the 2010 NWA WIC Calendar (Spanish version).
Local WIC Coordinators will receive an e-mail message with a link to the survey from Takako Tagami on July 14, 2009. Each agency must complete the survey by August 7, 2009. If you have any question, please contact Takako Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- MOWINS Release 1.39.05: MOWINS Release 1.39.05 will be applied to the MOWINS Production Database on Friday, July 17, 2009. We recommend that you allow time for the updates to download on each PC (approximately 45 minutes), to minimize delays in providing WIC services.
This release contains the fix for the list that you see when trying to link mom to baby and/or baby to mom. The default view for the list will be alphabetically by last name. However, you can change the sort, to numerically by State WIC ID or back to alphabetically by last name, whichever you prefer, by clicking on the column header in the linked participant window.
There are no other fixes in this release.
The MOWINS letter templates must be downloaded to each WIC computer that runs MOWINS after each release is implemented. Please refer to the e-mail sent to all WIC Coordinators and Nutrition Coordinators on July 7, 2009 for the download website and instructions.
If you have any questions, please contact Melissa Seaver at Melissa.email@example.com or 573-751-6489.
- Local Agency Plan (LAP) for 2010: Enhancements to the online LAP application have been completed and will be included in the FFY2010 LAP Training. Since the training this year is optional, a list of enhancements to make the LAP more user-friendly is included in the attached document for those who will not attend training. ASAP instructions for access to the online LAP are also attached. LAP Data will be updated and the online LAP will be ready for entry on Wednesday, July 15, 2009. If you have any questions about the ASAP instructions, LAP Training or the LAP Enhancements, you may contact Betty Cassidy at 800-392-8209 or by email Betty.Cassidy@health.mo.gov.
- June 2009 Caseload Report: The June 2009 caseload report is now available. The attached Excel spreadsheet has the caseload for June for MOWINS. You will note it is all on one page in numeric order- not individual tabs for agencies as it was previously. The attached PDF has the June caseload for HANDS. These caseload reports are also on Crystal Reports. The attached Word document has a screen shot to show where these files are posted on Crystal Reports.
If you have questions contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323.
- WIC Online Invoicing Application Suggestions for 2010: It’s hard to believe but our first anniversary of implementing the WIC Online Invoice System is approaching. In an effort to improve the invoice submission process we want to hear from the people who work closely with the new system. We would like suggestions for upgrades/improvements to the system. What would you like to see changed? How can we make the process work more smoothly?
Please send your suggestions to Laura Weiler at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 22.
- 2010 Outreach Funding—How to Apply: Funds will be available to develop and implement Outreach Projects for 2010.
- What has changed? Changes for this year include sending an email to your District TA Team to request the funding available to your agency. When you email your request to the TA Team, your allocation will be loaded into the LAP, allowing your detail budget to be entered. Goals, funding amounts and suggestions have remained the same as last year.
- Who can apply? Current WIC agencies
- How much funding is available? $495,000 is allocated for agencies according to the size of the agency WIC program. Amounts can be found in the guidance.
- Deadline? Each agency must request the funding by an email to their TA Team by August 1, 2009. Amounts will be loaded for each agency requesting funding. The agency will be required to enter a budget for approval on the LAP.
- Questions? Contact your District TA Team
Outreach Project-2010 Guidance
WBW Action Ideas 2009
3-Attachment 3 - Outreach Project SOW 2010 Draft
Breastfeeding Month order form
HWIAC425-01 Report - 07-02-09
June 2009 - MOWINS
LAP Enhancements 2010
Missouri Breastfeeding Month Proclamation