January 26, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Reordering Check Stock and Printer Cartridges in MOWINS
SUBJECT 2: Discontinuation of LactoFree LIPIL (Effective March 1, 2009)
SUBJECT 3: Nutrition Education Items & Updated Nutrition Education Request Form (WIC-7)
SUBJECT 4: Translated Versions of WIC Resource Items
SUBJECT 5: Web-based Breastfeeding Training Opportunity
SUBJECT 6: 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines
- Reordering Check Stock and Printer Cartridges in MOWINS: To reorder check stock and printer cartridges for MICR check printers for MOWINS, Local WIC Providers (LWP) will use the form located on the web. The link to the order form is also posted on the MOWINS News page. Fill out the form, click submit and print a copy for your records. Once you click submit, the request will be sent to the State WIC Office for review and approval. Once approved, the requested items will then be sent to you.
If you have any questions about the web form, you may contact Michael Murphy at Michael.Murphy@health.mo.gov or 800-392-8209. If you have questions about your order, you should contact Peggy Maupin at Peggy.Maupin@health.mo.gov or at 800-392-8209.
- Discontinuation of LactoFree LIPIL (Effective March 1, 2009): Mead Johnson Nutritionals will discontinue shipping EnfamilÒ LactoFreeÒ LIPILÒ formula (Powdered, Concentrate, and Ready-To-Use) to retailers on May 31, 2009. Therefore, the State office will stop issuing checks in HANDS and MOWINS for LactoFree LIPIL starting March 1, 2009. Please share this information with your staff. The WIC State office recommends your staff inform participants who are receiving LactoFree LIPIL to discuss this change with their physician. If you have a question, please contact your TA nutritionist.
- Nutrition Education Items and Updated Nutrition Education Request Form (WIC-7): New nutrition education items listed below are available for all local WIC providers at the DHSS warehouse. Please use the updated WIC 7 form (01/09 version) when you order these items:
- Food To Grown On (Spanish) #620
- Relief from Common Problem of Pregnancy (Spanish) #593
- Importance of Following Instructions for Infant Formula (Bilingual) #191
If you have any suggestions or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Translated Versions of WIC Resource Items: The following resource items were translated into 11 languages (Arabic, Bosnian, Chinese, Farsi, Hmong, Korean, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.)
- Food To Grow On – Birth-12 months
- Relief from Common Problems of Pregnancy
- Importance of Following Instructions for Infant Formulas
- WIC Transfer Poster
- Web-based Breastfeeding Training Opportunity: "Breastfeeding Training: The Gold Standard in Infant Nutrition" is a web-based training course in lactation management created in partnership with the Virginia Department of Health and the University of Virginia. This course was designed specifically for health care professionals and offers free continuing education units (CME, CEU, CPE). The entire course can be accessed through http://www.breastfeedingtraining.org. If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792.
- 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines: The first-ever to be issued by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. As part of the Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004, the definition of nutrition education changed to include reference of “physical activity”. These guidelines can be used to encourage WIC participants to get the recommended amount of physical activity, based on their own goals. There is a link to sign up to become a Supporter of the guidelines and in return, you are eligible to receive a FREE toolkit. If you have difficulty opening the attachment, the direct link is: http://www.health.gov/paguidelines/default.aspx. If you have any questions, please contact your TA nutritionist.
Physical Activity Guidelines - Become a Supporter
WIC-7 Nutrition Education Material