January 13, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Civil Rights Training
SUBJECT 2: Help Desk Coverage on Holidays
SUBJECT 3: Breast Pump Order
SUBJECT 4: International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) Preparatory Course – Save the Date
SUBJECT 5: Shipping Plan for the WIC Participant ID Folder Plastic Sleeves
SUBJECT 6: Microcuvette Survey
- Civil Rights Training: As a result of the Management Evaluation (ME) USDA conducted of Missouri WIC in September 2007, the Civil Rights module was revised to ensure all applicants/participants are informed of their right to file a complaint of discrimination. Attached is the revised Civil Rights module, which has incorporated the process of filing a Discrimination Complaint, and a reference sheet on the Missouri WIC Program Discrimination Complaint Process. The Civil Rights training shall be completed for all new trainees within six months from their date of hire and existing staff shall complete the training on an annual basis. Completion of the required training shall be noted in the agency’s training file for monitoring purposes. Please contact the D'Anne Ward, Civil Rights Liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have further questions.
- Help Desk Coverage on Holidays: An email was sent to all WIC coordinators and nutrition coordinators asking them to provide information on whether their agency will be open or closed on 2009 State Holidays. This information is vital to our planning for help desk coverage. Please complete the form and return it by email to Barbara Myers at email@example.com or by fax to 573-526-1470 by January 20.
- Breast Pump Order: Funding has become available to purchase additional Medela Lactina Select electric breast pumps, double pumping kits and Harmony manual breast pumps. If you would like to request any of these items for your agency, please complete the attached order form and email to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 573-526-1470 by COB on Friday, January 30, 2009. If you have any questions please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at 573-526-4792.
- International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) Preparatory Course SAVE THE DATE: The Department of Health and Senior Services will offer an 18 hour IBCLC preparatory course on March 17, 18, and 19 in Jefferson City. There will be no charge for this course. The course is designed for those who are preparing to sit for the IBLCE exam in July, 2009 and have met the new criteria set. You can view the criteria at http://americas.iblce.org/eligibilityRequirements_v2.php. The goal of the course is to provide lactation consultants and other health care professionals with breastfeeding information that is evidence-based and will prepare attendees to sit for the IBLCE exam. Please watch for the registration form to be released in the next couple weeks. If further information is needed, please contact Shanna Morgan, RN, State Breastfeeding Coordinator, at email@example.com or at 573-751-6218.
- Shipping Plan for the WIC Participant ID Folder Plastic Sleeves: The State WIC office plans to ship plastic sleeves to local WIC providers during the week of February 2, 2009. If your agency is interested in receiving the plastic sleeves, please e-mail the following information to Sheila Dessieux at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 29, 2009:
- Name of Contact Person
- Name of Agency
- Agency Number
If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at email@example.com.
- Microcuvette Survey: It's time to order Microcuvettes. Please follow the instructions below to ensure your agency receives your supply of microcuvettes.
- Microcuvette Survey: The Microcuvette Survey will allow us to accurately order supplies of microcuvettes for each Local WIC Provider on a timely basis. Please complete and return the attached survey via e-mail to WIC Operations, WIC Operations by January 27, 2009. This will assure no interruption in the supply of microcuvettes.
- Microcuvette Order: The information from the survey will be used to identify the current supply on hand at each agency and to estimate the needs of each agency for the next six months. The order will be submitted to HemoCue and shipped directly to your agency.
Local WIC Provider Confirmation: When you receive the order, please verify the number of microcuvettes received with the number listed on the packing slip. If the number of microcuvettes in the package is the same as the packing slip, sign and date the packing slip. Please fax the packing slip to Leslie Worrell at the State WIC Office within one (1) week of receiving the shipment. The fax number is 573-526-1470. Confirmation on the packing slip is required in order for the State WIC Office to pay for the microcuvettes. Confirmation by e-mail will not be accepted. If the number of microcuvettes received is different from the packing slip, please call Leslie Worrell at 573 526-4622. Thank you for your cooperation.