February 2, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Help Desk Coverage on February 12, 2009
SUBJECT 2: WIC MOWINS/HANDS Availability
SUBJECT 3: Follow Up – Changes – Food Packages for Children and Women
SUBJECT 4: Registration Form - International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) Preparatory Course
SUBJECT 5: Infant Blood Work and Reassessment Appointment
- Help Desk Coverage on February 12, 2009: There will be coverage of the MOWINS/HANDS Help Desk from 8:00-5:00 on February 12, 2009, Lincoln’s Birthday. However, the State WIC Office will be closed on February 12, 2009 as it is a state holiday. If you have questions contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- WIC MOWINS/HANDS Availability: Due to the roll-out of MOWINS, both HANDS and MOWINS will be down and unavailable for WIC clinics during the following dates (note all dates are Saturday and Sunday):
January 31 - February 1 March 21 - 22 May 23 - 24 February 7 - 8 March 28 - 29 May 30 - 31 February 14 - 15 April 4 - 5 June 6 - 7 February 21 - 22 April 25 - 26 June 13 - 14 February 28 - March 1 May 2 - 3 June 20 - 21 March 7 - 8 May 9 - 10 June 27 - 28 March 14 - 15 May 16 - 17 July 4 - 5 July 11 - 12
If you have questions, please contact the WIC help desk at 800-554-2544 or WIChelpdesk@health.mo.gov.
- Follow Up - Food Packages for Children and Women: The attached sheet is to update you regarding the message posted on WIC Update (December 1, 2008) regarding changes in the food packages for women and children for whole milk and cheese. Please share the attached with your staff. If you have any questions, please contact your Technical Assistance (TA) state nutritionist.
- Registration Form - International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) Preparatory Course Registration Form - The Department of Health and Senior Services will offer an 18 hour IBCLC preparatory course on March 17, 18, and 19 in Jefferson City. There will be no charge for this course. The course is designed for those who are preparing to sit for the IBLCE exam in July, 2009 and have met the new criteria set. You can view the criteria at http://americas.iblce.org/eligibilityRequirements_v2.php. The goal of the course is to provide lactation consultants and other health care professionals with breastfeeding information that is evidence-based and will prepare attendees to sit for the IBLCE exam. Attached is the registration form for this course. Please complete the form and return it to Shanna Morgan. If further information is needed, please contact Shanna Morgan, RN, State Breastfeeding Coordinator, at email@example.com or at 573-751-6218.
- Infant Blood Work and Reassessment Appointment: The state office has received questions from local WIC providers regarding when to collect the infants blood work and when to complete an infant reassessment. Attached is a one-page reference sheet clarifying this information. If you have any questions, please contact your Technical Assistance (TA) state nutritionist.