February 23, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Date Change - Discontinuation of LactoFree LIPIL (Effective February 23, 2009)
SUBJECT 2: Microcuvette Delivery Confirmation
SUBJECT 3: Breast Pump Order
SUBJECT 4: 2009-2010 Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (MDHSS) Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI)
SUBJECT 5: SOAP Note Guidelines for MOWINS
SUBJECT 6: Survey for Translated Resource Items
- Date Change - Discontinuation of LactoFree LIPIL (Effective February 23, 2009): This is to update local WIC providers that State office will stop issuing checks in HANDS and MOWINS for LactoFree LIPIL starting February 23, 2009 instead of March 1, 2009. We found that LactoFree LIPIL is not available at some WIC Vendors.
As we notified you through WIC UPDATE (January 23, 2009), Mead Johnson Nutritionals will discontinue manufacturing Enfamil LactoFree LIPIL formula (Powdered, Concentrate, and Ready-To-Use).
Please share this information with your staff. The WIC State office recommends your staff inform participants who are receiving LactoFree LIPIL to discuss this change with their physician. If you have a question, please contact your TA nutritionist.
- Microcuvette Delivery Confirmation: Hemocue will begin shipping microcuvettes the week of March 2, 2009 to agencies that indicated on the survey they needed a new supply. When you receive the order, please verify the number of microcuvettes received with the number listed on the packing slip. If the number of microcuvettes in the package is the same as the packing slip, sign and date the packing slip. Please fax the packing slip to Leslie Worrell at the State WIC Office within one (1) week of receiving the shipment. The fax number is 573-526-1470. Confirmation on the packing slip is required in order for the State WIC Office to pay for the microcuvettes. If the number of microcuvettes received is different from the packing slip, please call Leslie Worrell at 1-800-392-8209. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Breast Pump Order: Medela will begin shipping the Lactina Select electric and Harmony manual breast pumps and the double pumping kits the week of March 16th. Please remember that the following procedure must be followed in order to verify receipt of shipment for payment and to send the required WIC tags.
- Immediately upon receipt of shipment, please locate the packing slip and verify that your agency received the products and quantities stated.
- Sign the packing slip to verify the order is correct.
- Fax the signed packing slip to Laura Weiler at the state WIC office at 573-526-1470. WIC tags will be mailed upon receipt of your packing slip.
- If your agency did not receive what was stated on the packing slip, please contact the state WIC office immediately.
- 2009-2010 Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services (MDHSS) Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI): We are pleased to announce that the four dietetic interns to begin in September 2009 have been selected during the Pre-Select process. This means the incoming interns are all from local WIC provider agencies and will bring a valuable perspective to the program. We had some excellent candidates for the Missouri Program. Unfortunately, we were only able to select four interns. Our interns for this next year are: Camila Fletcher (St. Louis Co. Health Dept.); Georgina Lile (Samuel U. Rodgers Health Center); Holly Sunnarborg (Pettis Co. Health Dept.); and Kathryn Brandt (Jefferson/Franklin Community Action Corporation). For more information about the MDHSS Program for Dietetic Interns, please contact Vicki Strickland at Vicki.Strickland@health.mo.gov or 573-526-7961.
- SOAP Note Guidelines for MOWINS: The state office has received questions from local WIC providers regarding how to complete the SOAP note in MOWINS for high-risk participants. Attached is a one-page reference sheet clarifying this information. Please contact the district nutritionist assigned to your agency if you have further questions.
- Survey for Translated Resource Items: The state WIC office has been providing resource items in 11 different languages available for downloading from the DHSS website. We would like to know if your agency has been utilizing these resource items. The information obtained through this survey will be used for planning. Therefore, each agency must complete this survey and e-mail it to Sheila.Dessieux@health.mo.gov or fax it to her at 573-526-1470 by March 30, 2009. If you have any questions, please contact Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
SOAP Notes Guidelines
Survey - Translated Items