December 21, 2009 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Christmas and New Year’s Holidays
SUBJECT 2: Caseload Participation Numbers for November, 2009
SUBJECT 3: FNEP Education Partners in WIC
- Christmas and New Year’s Holidays: The State WIC Office will be closed and there will be no WIC Help Desk coverage on December 25, 2009 and January 1, 2010.
If you have questions contact Mark Davis at Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Caseload Participation Numbers for November, 2009: The FFY2010 version of the participation caseload report on Crystal Reports has been updated with full October 2009 numbers and preliminary November 2009 figures. The November figures will be updated in early January when November’s “30-day” additional counts are available and December’s preliminary figures can be determined and posted. Questions regarding the posted figures should be directed to Jim Schindler at James.Schindler@health.mo.gov or by calling 800-392-8209.
- FNEP Education Partners in WIC: Local WIC providers in Missouri sometimes partner with FNEP Educators (sometimes referred to as Nutrition Program Assistants or NPAs) in the Family Nutrition Education Program from University of Missouri Extension to provide nutrition education for WIC participants. This is an acceptable practice and works well in some areas. The following guidance is provided for FY10.
FNEP lesson plans are reviewed and approved by state WIC nutritionists. The Eating Smart, Being Active lesson series is new this year. The condensed FNEP lesson plans on our Missouri WIC lesson plan form are available on the web. Guidance for local WIC providers is also available on the web. To briefly summarize, the FNEP Educator must be observed by the local agency nutritionist prior to delivering the lesson. The FNEP Educator must present only the information included in the lesson plan. Do not ask the FNEP Educator to present additional or different information. Instruct the FNEP Educator that participant questions (not addressed in the lesson plan) must be referred to the local agency nutritionist.
The FNEP Educator may not:
- provide individual counseling or an individual class, only group sessions.
- code nutrition education in the system.
The local agency nutritionist should work with the FNEP Educator to include an individual participant evaluation. The FNP Adult Survey is recommended when available. State WIC nutritionists have provided suggested nutrition education topics for documenting each lesson. If you have questions, contact your district nutritionist or Rita Arni at Rita.Arni@health.mo.gov or 573.751.8159.