September 2, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: New Items in the MOWINS News Icon
SUBJECT 2: Mandatory WIC and Nutrition Services Training
SUBJECT 3: Missouri WIC Reference Sheets for WIC Formulas, Foods and Food Packages
SUBJECT 4: Additional Translated Version of WIC Approved Food Lists
SUBJECT 5: Updated WIC Supply Request Form (WIC-8 form, 09-08)
SUBJECT 6: Temporally Out of Stock - Pregestimil® LIPIL® in Nursette® Bottles
SUBJECT 7: Enfamil NEXT STEP LIPIL Formulas in 28.8 oz cans (Bonus Pack)
- New Items in the MOWINS News Icon: We have placed additional information in the MOWINS News icon. MOWINS is a web and windows-based application. Knowing basic Windows skills will greatly assist staff in the transition from HANDS to MOWINS. One of the items in the MOWINS News icon is the MOWINS Technology Skills Self Assessment Survey. If you answer "no" to any of the questions on the survey, the guides on Windows XP, Microsoft Word and Excel 2007, should help you become more familiar with Windows-based applications and be better prepared for MOWINS.
If you have questions, contact Michael Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-522-9487 or 800-392-8209.
- Mandatory WIC and Nutrition Services Training: The final Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) 3-Step Counseling Trainings will be held November 17, 18, 19, and 20, 2008 in locations throughout Missouri. If your agency staff has not yet attended or signed up, remember that these are mandatory for all CPAs (RDs, Nutritionists, RNs). The deadline to register is September 11th. The one-day sessions will provide continuing education to WIC staff to increase their knowledge in areas that are specific to their scope of practice. This interactive continuing education is designed to assist in encouraging and sustaining successful nutrition counseling using VENA guidelines. We will discuss strategies the staff can use during the counseling session at the WIC clinic that can quickly identify participant's motivation to change and their emotions for enhancing the learning process of the counseling session. Attendees will also be instructed on developing active listening techniques, ways to evaluate their teaching techniques and to identify which techniques work best with which type of WIC participant. CPAs must attend, but all WIC staff is encouraged to attend. Training will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Please see the attached registration brochure for details or contact Michelle Nienhuis at Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov.
- Missouri WIC Reference Sheets for WIC Formulas, Foods, and Food Packages (10-08 version): The Missouri WIC Reference Sheets for WIC Formulas, Foods, and Food Packages are updated. These reference sheets are designed for issuing food packages through HANDS. The reference sheets for MOWINS users are being developed. Please share the reference sheets (10-08 version) with all your agency staff. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Additional Translated Version of WIC Approved Food Lists: The Missouri WIC Approved Food List is being translated into various languages. The following are available in PDF: 1) Arabic, 2) Farsi, 3) Hmong, and 4) Somali. Please feel free to make copies as needed. The WIC food list in these languages will not be available at the DHSS warehouse. If you have any suggestions or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Updated WIC Supply Request Form (WIC-8 form, 09-08): The WIC Supply Request Form is now updated, as the Spanish version of WIC food list is available at the DHSS warehouse. It is important to use the most current version (09-08) when you request supplies. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Temporally Out of Stock - Pregestimil® LIPIL® in Nursette® Bottles: Pregestimil® LIPIL®20 Cal./fl oz and 24 Cal./fl oz Ready-To -Use infant formulas are still out of stock. At this time, Mead Johnson Nutritionals does not have an anticipated date for availability. During this temporary out of stock situation, Pregestimil LIPIL powder can be an alternative to the ready-to-use product. The powder can also be mixed to make a 24 Cal/fl oz formula. Please see the attached is the mixing instructions. If you have questions on, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Enfamil NEXT STEP LIPIL Formulas in 28.8 oz cans (Bonus Pack): In 6 to 8 weeks, some WIC vendors may carry Enfamil NEXT STEP LIPIL and Enfamil NEXT STEP ProSobee LIPIL in 28.8 oz cans. The Missouri WIC program does NOTapprove these formulas in 28.8 oz cans. If these formulas in 24-oz cans are not available at WIC vendors in your area, please contact the State WIC office. The State WIC office will order the formula in 24-oz can from MJN. If you have questions, please contact Phyllis Fuller at 1-800-392-8209.
VENA 3 Step Counseling Registration Brochure
WIC-8 (09-08 version)
WIC Food List FARSI
WIC Food List ARABIC
WIC Food List Hmong
WIC Food List SOMALI
FRS 10-08 FINAL -- WIC UPDATE
Mixing Instructions on The 16 Oz