October 14, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Equipment Order
SUBJECT 2: HDFS Screen Change
SUBJECT 3: New State WIC Employee
SUBJECT 4: MOWINS Risk Factor Pre-Training Conference Calls
SUBJECT 5: Discontinuation of the Nutrition Materials with “5-A-Day” logo/messages
SUBJECT 6: Scale Inspection
SUBJECT 7: Translated WIC Approved Food Lists on the DHSS Web
- Equipment Order: The long-awaited equipment order has been placed. Perspective Enterprises will begin shipping to LWP’s October 20-27. Items ordered include: Infant digital scales*; adult digital scales; infant portable measuring boards; infant stationary measuring boards; adult portable stadiometers – includes tote bag; adult stationary stadiometers; and gestational wheels.
*Perspective has informed us that the infant digital scales are in short supply—many will not be shipped until December 1st.
Please remember the following procedure must be followed in order to verify receipt of shipment for payment and to send the required WIC inventory tags.
- Immediately upon receipt of shipment (even partial shipment), please locate the packing slip and verify that your agency received the products and quantities stated.
- Sign and date the packing slip to verify the order is correct.
- Fax the signed packing slip to Laura Weiler at the state WIC office at 573/526-1470. WIC inventory tags will be mailed upon receipt of your packing slip.
- If your agency did not receive what was stated on the packing slip, please contact the State WIC office immediately.
If you have any questions, please contact Laura Weiler at Laura.Weiler@health.mo.gov or by telephone 573/526-7901.
- HDFS Screen Change: Effective November 3, 2008 the HDFS screen in HANDS will be changed to also show if a participant is adjunctly eligible for WIC by virtue of being on TANF and Food Stamps.
The HDFS screen already shows whether or not a participant is on Medicaid/MoHealthNet and their income is at or below 185% of poverty. With this change you can check for all adjunct eligibility in one place. The fields will be labeled MOHEALTHNET, FOOD STAMPS AND TANF and will be answered on the screen as either a Yes or No. Yes, in any of the fields, means the participant is adjunctly eligible for WIC. No, in all three fields, means the participant is not adjunctly eligible for WIC. In this case you could still go through the process of determining if the participant is income eligible for WIC.
The attachment shows four examples. In the first example all three fields are no. This means the participant is not adjunctly eligible. You could still go through the process of determining if the participant is income eligible for WIC. In the examples on pages 2, 3 and 4, the answer is yes in at least one of the fields: MOHEALTHNET, FOOD STAMPS or TANF. The participants on pages 2, 3 and 4 are adjunctly eligible.
The HDFS screen will still be available to local agency staff when they go convert MOWINS.
If you have questions, contact HANDS Help Desk at 800-554-2544.
- New State WIC Employee: We are very pleased to announce that Betty Cassidy has accepted the HPR III (Glenn Studebaker) position and started work on October 1. Betty worked for 11 years in the Missouri Division of Medical Services (Medicaid) in a variety of positions- including Supervisor of Third Party Liability and Medicaid Provider Relations. She also worked at SSM Healthcare Network in St. Louis and Internal Medicine Consultants, Inc. in Jefferson City. Betty has a B.S. in business administration. Please join us in welcoming her to the WIC team!
If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- MOWINS Risk Factor Pre-Training Conference Calls: The state WIC office will be holding MOWINS Risk Factor Pre-training conference calls for all agencies. These conference calls will be held approximately one month prior to each agency's MOWINS training. The calls will be scheduled for two hours from 9:00am-11:00am. The purpose of the call will be to provide information on risk factors and policy changes (nutrition and administration) before MOWINS training and roll out. We suggest that WIC Coordinators and Nutrition Coordinators or at least a full time CPA participate in the call planned for their agency. Please see the attachment for dates. Additional information will be provided via the MOWINS Updates link or via e-mail to all Nutrition and WIC Coordinators. If you have any questions, please contact Rose Sipakati at email@example.com.
- Discontinuation of the Nutrition Materials with “5-A-Day” logo/messages: The State office has received notification from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to discontinue use of nutrition materials containing the “5-A-Day” logo/messages. Therefore, we are no longer authorized to use the following items for WIC nutrition education/counseling:
- 5 A Day the Color Way
- Leading the Way to Better Health
Please stop using the nutrition education materials containing the “5-A-Day” logo or messages effective October 14, 2008. Attached is the revised WIC-7 form (WIC Nutrition Education Resource Request). If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov
- Scale Inspection: This is a reminder to LWPs receiving new infant and adult digital scales, that new scales require an inspection before use and then annually. Call 573.751.5639, Division of Weights and Measures, to request an inspection. For more information, refer to page 8 in the Health and Nutrition Assessment Handbook (in the WOM) or contact your district nutritionist for technical assistance.
- Translated WIC Approved Food Lists on the DHSS Web: The Missouri WIC Approved Food List is translated into the following 11 languages: Arabic, Bosnian, Chinese, Farsi, Hmong, Korea, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese. They are available on the website. Please utilize them as needed. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
MOWINS Risk Factor Training dates for LWP Pre-conference
WIC-7 Nutrition Education Material 10-08-08
WIC-7 Nutrition Education Resource Request Form 10-08-08