November 3, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: WIC Certifier Role
SUBJECT 2: ITSD Help Desk E-mail Address
SUBJECT 3: MOWINS Pilot Delay
SUBJECT 4: Saturday Clinics – November 29, 2008 and December 6, 2008
SUBJECT 5: National WIC Association (NWA)’s 2009 Calendar Shipping Plan
SUBJECT 6: Temporarily Out of Stock - Pregestimil® LIPIL® in Nursette® Bottles
- WIC Certifier Role: The State WIC office has received many comments regarding the new computer system, MOWINS, and the restrictions placed on the WIC Certifier position. We are currently reviewing the security levels and training requirements for this position and hope to provide you with more information during the month of November. If you have questions, please contact Phyllis Fuller at email@example.com.
- ITSD Help Desk E-mail Address: If you are experiencing delays in getting through to the ITSD Help Desk at 800-347-0887, you can also contact them by email, firstname.lastname@example.org. This is an effective alternative for when the ITSD Help Desk is busy answering phone calls. If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at email@example.com or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- MOWINS Pilot Delay: We have encountered problems that delayed testing the check printing and WIC banking process and the off-line method for sites without Internet access. We are working to overcome the problems and have decided to postpone the pilot from the planned date of November 3, 2008. Two pilot agencies, Johnson County Health Department and Webster County Health Department will start using MOWINS on December 1, 2008. Dallas County Health Department, Pettis County Health Center, Phelps County Health Department and Pulaski County Health Department will start using MOWINS on December 8, 2008. This delay will not affect the roll out of the remaining agencies, scheduled from February- July 2009.
If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Saturday Clinics – November 29, 2008 and December 6, 2008: The initial conversion of HANDS data to MOWINS for two of the six pilot agencies will be done on Saturday, November 29, 2008. The conversion for the four remaining pilot agencies will be done on Saturday, December 6, 2008. During these conversions, all HANDS screens for all WIC agencies will be disabled. If your agency has a clinic scheduled for November 29 or December 6, you will not be able to access HANDS. Also, on the weekend before you start using MOWINS, you cannot issue manual checks for a Saturday clinic because HANDS will not be available the following week to enter the manual checks. Agencies that are not going to use MOWINS until later could use manual checks on a Saturday clinic. Please follow policy (ER# 3.05250 and ER# 3.05500) for scheduled downtime of the system or contact your district TA team for guidance.
If you have questions you may also contact Mark Davis at email@example.com or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- National WIC Association (NWA)’s 2009 Calendar Shipping Plan: The State WIC office has purchased a total of 31,000 NWA calendars (wall-size) in English (26,000) and Spanish (5,000). The calendars will be allocated to all local WIC providers based on caseloads and will be shipped to each local WIC provider during the week of November 17, 2008. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Temporarily Out of Stock - Pregestimil® LIPIL® in Nursette® Bottles: Both Pregestimil LIPIL 20 Cal/fl oz and Pregestimil LIPIL 24 Cal/fl oz in 2 fl oz nursette bottles are still out of stock and should be available around the end of this year. The powder can be mixed to make a 24 Cal/fl oz formula. The mixing instructions are available on the WIC UPDATE website. If you have questions, please contact your technical assistance district nutritionist.