November 17, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Thanksgiving Holiday
SUBJECT 2: PedNSS and PNSS 2006 Data Summaries
SUBJECT 3: Missouri WIC Customer Satisfaction Report
SUBJECT 4: October Caseload Update
SUBJECT 5: Nutrition Assessments in MOWINS
SUBJECT 6: Extra Formula
SUBJECT 7: WIC New Resource Item
- Thanksgiving Holiday: The State WIC Office will be closed and there will be no HANDS Help Desk coverage on Thursday and Friday, November 27 & 28, 2008.
If you have questions contact Mark Davis at email@example.com or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- PedNSS and PNSS 2006 Data Summaries: The 2006 data summaries for the Pediatric Nutrition and Pregnancy Nutrition Surveillance Systems (PedNSS and PNSS) have been posted to the Department web page. These reports summarize key pediatric health indicators of infants and children, age birth to 5 years, participating in the Missouri WIC program in 2006 and key maternal health indicators of women participating in WIC in 2006. These reports can be accessed on the website, scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking on the link to the specific report you want to read. Both reports include data maps. If you have questions on how you can use this data in your local program, please contact your technical assistance district nutritionist.
- Missouri WIC Customer Satisfaction Report: The Missouri WIC Customer Satisfaction Report has been posted to the Department web page. It reports the results of the 2008 survey designed to estimate the impact of language background on WIC participant’s satisfaction and the program’s ability to meet the needs of different cultural groups. The report can be accessed on the website, and then clicking on the report. In addition, a PowerPoint summary of the report is available for your use with local agency staff. This summary can be used in working with agency staff on customer service issues or with boards/agency administrators as an educational tool. If you have questions about the report, please contact Annie Siu-Norman at Annie.Siu-Norman@health.mo.gov
- October Caseload Update: October 2008, the first month of program year 2009, caseload set yet another all time high record for any October and for any Month at all since data is available from FFY1989. At 151,315 October 2008 caseload was 6.93% higher than October of last year. See attached graph for caseload trends. If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Jim Schindler (James.Schindler@health.mo.gov) or Lyn Konstant (Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov).
- Nutrition Assessments in MOWINS: Some of you have asked about the Nutrition Assessments and how these fit into the VENA questions in MOWINS. We are very happy that you like the NA forms that have been in use for some time now.
The MOWINS VENA questions are not user friendly and require much more writing by the LWP staff than the current Nutrition Assessment forms. We have discussed this in the State WIC office. We have made some changes to how the LWPS will address the VENA questions in MOWINS. Please see the following:
a. Continue to use the Nutrition Assessments (WIC 35, WIC 36 and WIC 37) as they are currently printed.
b. The asterisk questions on the current NAs will be the VENA questions in MOWINS, which are assessed at cert and recert.
c. We will add 2 additional questions to the VENA Questions in MOWINS:
What nutrition and health questions do you have today?
What other community resources do you need today?
d. At cert, recert, and infant assessment the LWP will scan the completed NA that the participant completes at cert, recert and infant assessment.
e. The WIC Certifier will complete the VENA questions in MOWINS (questions with an asterisk) at cert and recert and can discuss these with the participant.
f. At the 30 day visit, the Nutritionist will assess and discuss with the High Risk participant the NA and high risk issues. The nutritionist should chart in the MOWINS SOAP notes the discussion of the NA with the high risk participant.
g. At the 60 day visit, the CPA will assess and discuss the NA with the non-high risk participant. The CPA should chart in MOWINS General Notes the discussion of the NA with the non-high risk participant.
If you have questions, please discuss with your Technical Assistance District Nutritionist.
- Extra Formula: Attached is a current listing of extra formula available at different LWPs and guiding principles for shipping, created to assist you when sending or receiving extra supply of infant formula. Red font means the formula will be expiring in the first quarter of 2009. Please check the listing in order to utilize formulas with the most recent expiration date first, prior to placing an order, to help keep food costs down. Also be sure to notify your district nutritionist or Michelle Nienhuis at Michelle.Nienhuis@health.mo.gov when you have unused formula available at your agency so it may be added to the database. If you have any questions, please contact Michelle Nienhuis at 800-392-8209.
- WIC New Resource Item: The State WIC office is pleased to introduce a new resource item “Growing” stickers for WIC children. Please see the attached sheet. Our own Missouri WIC stickers are also being developed. If your local WIC provider is interested in using the stickers, please e-mail the following information to Sheila Dessieux at Sheila.Dessieux@health.mo.gov, or fax to 573-526-1470 by December 4, 2008:
- Name of Contact Person
- Name of Agency
- Agency Number
The stickers are limited in number at this time; therefore, we will ship stickers to local WIC providers who requested them. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
Missouri WIC Customer Satisfaction Survey
October 2009 Caseload Graph '07-'09
Extra Supply of Formula
UPS Electronic Shipment Instructions
UPS Hard Copy Form Shipping Instructions