May 5, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Per Participant Rate Increase
SUBJECT 2: New Anthropometric Equipment Available
SUBJECT 3: National Survey of WIC Participants
SUBJECT 4: 2008 WOM Installation
SUBJECT 5: Invitation for FY 2009 Breastfeeding Peer Counseling (BFPC) Program
- Per Participant Rate Increase: The per participant rate for FY2008 will increase from $9.50 to $10.00 for your contracted caseload retroactive to October 1, 2007. We received additional funding from USDA in an April reallocation and want to pass that increase to local agencies. We know that many agencies are struggling to meet their growing caseloads and hope that additional funds can be used to further compensate for the cost of providing WIC services. The $10.00 per participant rate will be continued in FY2009.
The increased contract amount will be included in the six-month caseload amendment. After the amendment is received, agencies will need to prepare a revised budget to include these extra funds. If you have any questions on this increase or need assistance in revising your budget, please contact your TA staff.
- New Anthropometric Equipment Available: The State WIC Office is preparing to make one-time equipment purchases of anthropometric (infant and adult scales, recumbent measuring board and stadiometer) and hematological (Hemocue analyzer) equipment for local WIC providers. Equipment may be used to replace old/damaged equipment or for equipping a WIC clinic satellite site(s). In addition, each agency will receive a supply of pregnancy wheels and head circumference tapes.
Please complete the attached survey if your agency is interested in receiving new equipment for your WIC clinic(s). The equipment will be shipped directly to your agency. Please provide one complete detailed shipping address and the name of a contact person who will be responsible for receiving the equipment.
The local WIC provider contact will be sent an email confirming their equipment order prior to the final order being placed. Also, they will be sent instructions on reporting receipt of the equipment and adding it to their inventory.
Return the survey to Linda Rost at Linda.Rost@health.mo.gov or fax to Linda’s attention at 573-526-1470. Surveys are due by May 23, 2008. Questions about equipment can be directed to your TA team.
- National Survey of WIC Participants: USDA has contracted with Macro International to conduct the second National Survey of WIC Participants. The purpose of the study is to gather information on erroneous payments due to WIC certification error in FFY 2008; to provide information on WIC certification policies and operation; and gather information about WIC applicants and participants. The study includes a Web survey of 500 randomly sampled local agencies and a telephone survey of 2,400 WIC participants. Some Missouri local WIC providers and participants will be contacted to participate in this survey. The State office has provided information on all local WIC providers and average monthly caseload by participant category to Macro International. If you have any questions or want more information, please contact Lyn Konstant at Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov or 573-751-6086.
- 2008 WOM Installation: This is a reminder that the 2008 WOM download is now available through Crystal Reports. If you have not installed the new WOM yet, please do so as soon as possible. Refer to the April 7, 2008 WIC Updates for information on the download of the new WOM. The WOM must be installed and the verification form returned to the state WIC office no later than May 30, 2008.
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Melissa Seaver at email@example.com or 573- 751-6489 or 800-392-8209.
- Invitation for FY 2009 Breastfeeding Peer Counseling (BFPC) Program: If your agency is interested in participating in the FFY09 BFPC program, please see the attached letter and application form. The completed application and BFPC agency plan needs to be submitted to Kathy Mertzlufft by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.govor by fax at 573-526-1470 by June 6, 2008. If you have any questions, please contact her at 573-526-4792.
FY09 Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Program Invitation Letter
FY 09 BFPC Application Form
Equipment Survey 05-08 Fillable Form