May 12, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Per Participant Rate Increase
SUBJECT 2: New Anthropometric Equipment Available
SUBJECT 3: April Caseload
SUBJECT 4: Notification of Children’s New Food Package Implementation
SUBJECT 5: Letter from Mead Johnson Regarding Pregestimil LIPIL
SUBJECT 6: VENA Education Committee April 17 Meeting Minutes
- Per Participant Rate Increase: The per participant rate for FY2008 will increase from $9.50 to $10.00 for your contracted caseload retroactive to October 1, 2007. We received additional funding from USDA in an April reallocation and want to pass that increase to local agencies. We know that many agencies are struggling to meet their growing caseloads and hope that additional funds can be used to further compensate for the cost of providing WIC services. The $10.00 per participant rate will be continued in FY2009.
The increased contract amount will be included in the six-month caseload amendment. After the amendment is received, agencies will need to prepare a revised budget to include these extra funds. If you have any questions on this increase or need assistance in revising your budget, please contact your TA staff.
- New Anthropometric Equipment Available: The State WIC Office is preparing to make one-time equipment purchases of anthropometric (infant and adult scales, recumbent measuring board and stadiometer) and hematological (Hemocue analyzer) equipment for local WIC providers. Equipment may be used to replace old/damaged equipment or for equipping a WIC clinic satellite site(s). In addition, each agency will receive a supply of pregnancy wheels and head circumference tapes.
Please complete the attached survey if your agency is interested in receiving new equipment for your WIC clinic(s). The equipment will be shipped directly to your agency. Please provide one complete detailed shipping address and the name of a contact person who will be responsible for receiving the equipment.
The local WIC provider contact will be sent an email confirming their equipment order prior to the final order being placed. Also, they will be sent instructions on reporting receipt of the equipment and adding it to their inventory.
Return the survey to Linda Rost at Linda.Rost@health.mo.gov or fax to Linda’s attention at 573-526-1470. Surveys are due by May 23, 2008. Questions about equipment can be directed to your TA team.
- April Caseload: Caseload rose almost 3% from March to April to an all time new high of 143,873 (see attached caseload graph). Services to both women and children increased 3% each in a month. Average caseload in FY 2007 was 134,600. We recognize that agencies are working feverishly to see all the new participants; we thank you for your dedication and passion in providing services to those in such great need. Any caseload questions can be directed to your district team or Jim Schindler at James.Schindler@health.mo.gov.
- Notification of Children’s New Food Package Implementation: The Missouri WIC program is pleased to announce that we are preparing to implement the following changes effective October 1, 2008:
- Children’s New Food Package
- Whole grain cereals for the Missouri WIC Approved Food List for Federal Fiscal Year 2009.
Please share the attached items with your staff:
- Notification Letter from Lyn Konstant, WIC Director.
- Overview of the June WIC Program Updates Training.
If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Letter from Mead Johnson Regarding Pregestimil LIPIL: Mead Johnson Nutritionals has informed us that due to a production shortage of Pregestimil LIPIL 20 Cal/fl oz and 24 Cal/fl oz ready-to-use infant formula in 2 fl oz Nursette Bottles, this product is out of stock. They anticipate this product will be available in July 2008. Attached is the letter from Mead Johnson.
- VENA Education Committee April 17 Meeting Minutes: The VENA Education Committee had their most recent meeting on April 17. The meeting minutes and list of committee members are attached. The committee will be meeting or having a conference call on a monthly basis with the next meeting/conference call scheduled for May 21. If there are issues you would like to discuss with any of the committee members, the attached includes contact information.
WIC FOOD PACKAGE Program Agenda
Equipment Survey 05-08 Fillable Form
Letter - WIC New Children Food Notification LWP
Letter from Mead Johnson - Pregestimil Nursettes 050708
Missouri WIC Caseload Analysis APR '89-'08
VENA Education Committee Meeting April 17 2008 Minutes