March 31, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Food Cost Containment Measures Being Implemented May 1, 2008
SUBJECT 2: Updated Immunization Schedules
SUBJECT 3: HANDS Help Desk Position Vacancy
SUBJECT 4: WIC Local Agency Plan (LAP) and District Meetings with the WIC Director- Mandatory Training
SUBJECT 5: June 2008 Program Updates Training Registration - Mandatory Training
SUBJECT 6: Nutrition Education Opportunity - Annual University of Alabama Satellite
SUBJECT 7: Breastfeeding Conference: Save the date
SUBJECT 8: VENA Nutrition Committee March 24 Meeting Minutes
- Food Cost Containment Measures Being Implemented May 1, 2008:
All local WIC providers will be getting a letter explaining the food cost containment measures that Missouri is implementing May 1, 2008 to address increasing food costs and program participation. Our goal is to maintain services to participants and control rising food costs. Food costs have increased 10% and program participation 4% in the past six months. We are committed to maintaining current service levels. In order to do this, we must reduce the cost of food packages through food-item changes. Therefore, the following national brand cereals and national and private label brand juices are being removed from the WIC Approved Food List:
- General Mills Cheerios and Corn Flakes and Kellogg’s Corn Flakes
- Quaker Oats 12-ounce Instant Oatmeal
- All Store Brand 46-ounce plastic bottles of juice
- All Dole, Minute Maid, Tropicana and Welch’s brands of frozen juice
- All 11.5-ounce Libby’s and Welch’s brands of shelf stable concentrate juice
Letters explaining the changes along with supporting materials and signs will be sent to vendors and local WIC providers during the week of April 7. We realize that many participants have already received their May checks and you will not see them again until after the May 1 food list changes are implemented. The vendors will be instructed to refer those participants back to their local agency if they have questions. Please contact your TA team with any questions.
- Updated Immunization Schedules: The immunization program has updated their immunization information. They have developed a helpful immunization timing schedule that can be used with participants. This can be printed and used as a handy reference when working with participants. We have also included the immunization schedule for children aged 0-6 for your reference. If you have any questions about immunizations, please talk with your local agency immunization nurse/expert.
- HANDS Help Desk Position Vacancy: WIC and Nutrition Services has an open Information Support Coordinator (ISC) position in Jefferson City. Qualifications include four years of office or related clerical experience including two years above the entry level with primary responsibility for entering/editing information into and retrieving information from a networked applications and office automation system. Applicant must also have a high school diploma or GED certificate. Earned credit hours from an accredited college or university may substitute on a year-for-year basis for the required experience at a rate of 30 earned credit hours for one year. Working hours are 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Duties include:
- Provide WIC data system help desk services to 118 local WIC providers (LWPs). Answer users’ questions and correct system problems.
- Process requests from LWP and state WIC staff to enable them to have access to the WIC data system. Maintain tracking system of access requests.
- Reconcile data in the WIC data system.
- Assist in providing training to LWPs on the WIC data system.
- Assist in maintaining WIC databases and producing WIC data reports.
- Assist in writing and maintaining WIC policies and procedures.
This position may require some statewide travel, including some overnights. On occasion some work outside of normal hours may be necessary. The salary range is $26,004-36,204 annually.
If you are interested in this position you may get on the register by going to the Office of Administration web site at http://oa.mo.gov/pers/howtoapply.htm. For more information on this position go to http://oa.mo.gov/pers/ClassSpecs/0130.htm. If you have questions contact Glenn Studebaker at email@example.com or 573-751-6198.
- WIC Local Agency Plan (LAP) and District Meetings with the WIC Director- Mandatory Training:
For FFY 2009, new web-based budgeting and billing tools are being developed and implemented for WIC. This means the LAP tool for FFY 2009 is brand new and this will be a mandatory training for all Local WIC Providers (LWP). Each LWP should plan to send the staff to the training that make budget and nutrition plans for the LAP. In addition, to save time for LWPs, Lyn Konstant, WIC Bureau Chief will integrate her annual District Meetings with the WIC Director with this training. These meetings are an update of current statewide WIC projects and issues and a chance to ask questions face- to-face. Here is the schedule:DistrictLocationDates
Northeast Comfort Inn
1821 North Missouri
Macon, MO 63552
June 26-27, 2008 Southeast Southeast District Health Office
2875 James Boulevard
Poplar Bluff, Missouri 63901
July 2-3, 2008 Northwest Clay County Health Department
800 Haines Dr.
Liberty, MO 64068
July 7-8, 2008 East St. Charles Community College
4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive
Cottleville, MO 63376
July 10-11, 2008 Central DHSS Technical Training Room
Jefferson City, MO 65102
July 14-15, 2008 Southwest Springfield-Greene Library Center
4653 South Campbell
Springfield, Missouri 65810
July 21-22, 2008
The combined training will be a one-day event, not two-day; we will conduct the training twice in each District to allow every LWP to attend. You will not need to bring a computer as many of you have done the last several years. The state will provide each LWP a networked computer to access the Internet during the training. Register early since the training is mandatory and there are a limited amount of computers and slots at each site. Registrations will be taken on a first come, first served basis. The registration form is attached. Fax or e-mail your registration to Kaidy Martin at 573-526-1470 or at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about the training, contact Glenn Studebaker at email@example.com or 800-392-8209 or 573-751-6098.
June 2008 Program Updates Training Registration: The one-day training will provide the CPA (Train-the-Trainer) with updated program information and clarification regarding new program issues. Training time will be sent out at a later date. The training will be delivered on-site at several locations and dates throughout the state. The registration form is attached. Fax the registration form as instructed to the State WIC office by Thursday, May 29, 2008. Please register using the attached form only. If you have any questions please contact D'Anne Ward, Nutrition Trainer, at the State WIC office at (800) 392-8209 or by e-mail at Danne.Ward@health.mo.gov.
NUTRITION EDUCATION OPPORTUNITY: WIC Registered Dietitians, nutritionists, and Registered Nurses will want to take advantage of this statewide satellite training, Assessment, Treatment and Environmental Factors that Impact Childhood Obesity, on June 4 from 12:00 to 4:00 pm in Jefferson City, Poplar Bluff, Fulton, Bethany, St. Louis, and Forsyth. This year's conference will focus on assessment and treatment of child and adolescent obesity. Additionally, sessions on medical and environmental factors that have an impact on children and weight will be discussed. This training is sponsored by the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) and the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of WIC and Nutrition Services, Nutrition Training Institute. Please see the attached registration brochure for details or contact Michele Bailey at 573.751.6481 or Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov.
Breastfeeding Conference: Save the date: The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of Genetics and Healthy Childhood is hosting a breastfeeding conference on Friday, September 12, 2008 at The Governor Office Building in Jefferson City, MO. Barbara Wilson-Clay, BSEd, IBCLC, author of The Breastfeeding Atlas, will be guest speaker. There will be no cost to register for the conference. Registration information will be available by June, 2008. Topics are "Re-Thinking the Vocabulary of Latch-On", "The Experience of Milk Over-Supply", and "Infant Assessment". For more information contact Shanna Morgan at 573-751-6218 or Shanna.Morgan@health.mo.gov.
VENA Nutrition Committee March 24 Meeting Minutes: The VENA Nutrition Committee had their most recent meeting on March 24. The meeting minutes and list of committee members are attached. The committee will be meeting or having a conference call on a monthly basis with the next meeting/conference call scheduled for April 29. If there are issues you would like to discuss with any of the committee members, the attached includes contact information.
VENA Nutrition Committee Minutes 3-24-08.doc
VENA Nutrition Committee Members and contact information 3-31-08.doc
2008 Immunization 0-6 schedule.pdf
Immunization timing schedule.pdf
June Program Updates Training Registration Form rev
LAP Registration FFY2009
UAB Teleconference Registration Brochure