March 10, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Microcuvette Delivery
SUBJECT 2: Green "Computer" WIC Checks
SUBJECT 3: MOWINS LWP Computer Equipment Survey
SUBJECT 4: Schedule to Eliminate Paper Reports/Convert to PDF – Crystal
SUBJECT 5: HANDS System Down- March 15, 2008
SUBJECT 6: Crystal Reports (Updated Instructions)
SUBJECT 7: New WIC Reminder/Appointment Cards
- Microcuvette Delivery: Thank you for completing the Microcuvette survey so quickly. The Microcuvettes have been ordered from HemoCue. Those who needed a supply of Microcuvettes should expect to receive a shipment the week of March 3rd. Upon receiving your shipment of Microcuvettes, please sign and date the packing slip. Please fax the signed, packing slip to Paula Caywood at 573-526-1470 by March 15th. If the number of Microcuvettes listed on the packing slip does not agree with the boxes you received, please call Paula Caywood at 573-526-4622 or e-mail her at Paula.Caywood@health.mo.gov. We will order again in September.
- Green "Computer" WIC Checks: In January 2008, a new statement was added to the Food Section of the WIC checks:
“ALLOW ALL FOOD LISTED EVEN IF SALE EXCEEDS CHECK AMT”
All authorized WIC Vendors have been notified that they must allow the full purchase of all WIC food items listed on the WIC check even if the total sale amount exceeds the maximum amount listed on the WIC check. Vendors may not request WIC customers to put items back for lower priced items. If an authorized WIC Vendor contacts you regarding a WIC sale exceeding the maximum of the WIC check, please inform them they are required to allow the purchase of the all WIC food items listed on the WIC check.
Inform the WIC Vendors they are NOT to deposit any WIC check that the total WIC sales amount exceeds the maximum price listed on the check. If the Vendor deposits WIC checks that are over the maximum amount listed on the WIC check, they will be rejected by the WIC banking contractor.
Inform the Vendor they are to review the items on the receipt to ensure they are approved WIC food items. If the food items are correct, the Vendor has two (2) options they may exercise. They may either reduce the total sale amount below the maximum amount listed on the WIC check or they may send the WIC check to the state WIC office on appeal.
The process that Vendors should follow if the WIC sale amount exceeds the maximum amount listed on the WIC check is outlined in Section 3 and Section 4 of the WIC Vendor Manual. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Bridgett Henderson at Bridgett.Henderson@health.mo.gov or by calling 1-800-392-8209.
- MOWINS LWP Computer Equipment Survey: MOWINS implementation is coming up right around the corner and we need to verify your computer equipment requirements before ordering equipment you need for MOWINS. Last year we surveyed each LWP and determined an estimated equipment requirement. Now we need to firm up those numbers. In the next couple of weeks, each WIC coordinator will receive an email from Larry Rutledge concerning your computer equipment needs for MOWINS. It is important that you take the time to complete the survey as accurately as possible. We're excited about the future and hope you are also.
If you have questions contact Larry Rutledge at Larry.Rutledge@health.mo.gov or 573-526-0226.
- Schedule to Eliminate Paper Reports/Convert to PDF – Crystal: Previously we notified you that we would be posting reports to Crystal in PDF and discontinue the paper copies.
A schedule has been made for this to happen by July 2008. In the attached schedule, in the column marked "date to eliminate paper", if that date says March 08 that means the paper reports will no longer be produced for the April 08 run date. The same is true if the date says June 08; the paper report will no longer be produced for the July 08 run date.
If you have any questions about this schedule, please contact your district TA Team members.
- HANDS System Down- March 15, 2008: In the February 25, 2008 WIC Updates we informed you HANDS would possibly be down on Saturday, March 15, 2008. It has now been confirmed that HANDS will be down and not available on March 15 so that updates can be run on the mainframe that houses HANDS. If you notice anything unusual in the HANDS screens on Monday, March 17, notify the HANDS Help Desk at 800-554-2544.
- Crystal Reports (Updated Instructions): The instructions for using Crystal reports have been updated. These instructions will also be posted in the Data & Statistical Reports link to Crystal from the Missouri WIC website.
If you need assistance using the data from the reports, please contact your district TA team members. If you have problems using Crystal, please contact Melissa Seaver at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-573-751-6489.
- New WIC Reminder/Appointment Cards: The new WIC Reminder/Appointment cards will be available at the DHSS warehouse during the week of March 10, 2008. Please begin ordering the cards as needed. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.