June 9, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Important Announcement - Morning Session of the June 2008 Program Updates Training Canceled
SUBJECT 2: Group Nutrition Education
SUBJECT 3: VENA Education Committee May 21 Meeting Minutes
SUBJECT 4: Brief Survey on WIC Updates
SUBJECT 5: Nutrition Education Codes/HWNE Screen Changes
SUBJECT 6: May Caseload Update
- Important Announcement - Morning Session of the June 2008 Program Updates Training Canceled: The new WIC data system, MOWINS, will be unable to issue the new children’s food packages by the pilot testing period this fall. Based on this development, we will not be implementing the new children’s food package October 1, 2008 as previously planned. Based on this new information, the decision was made to cancel the morning session of the program updates training scheduled for June 10, 11, 12, 24, 25, and 27. Please note: Those agencies that have not implemented trimonthly check issuance are still required to attend the afternoon session to receive training on how to implement this program change effective October 1, 2008.
All individuals signed up for the remaining program updates training will be contacted by phone and email to let them know of this change. We deeply regret any inconvenience that this causes agencies. We did not know that the changes required for issuing the new food packages in MOWINS regardless of participant category are interrelated and cannot be made in time for us to implement the new children's food packages October 1, 2008.
The PowerPoint presentation of the USDA food packages information, which was included in the training, will be made available to all agencies for their use. We apologize for the short notice, but canceling training seemed better than having local staff spend time away from their agencies learning about program changes that may not be implemented until later next year. If you have any questions, please contact your district team or D’Anne Ward at Danne.Ward@health.mo.gov.
- Group Nutrition Education: Several LWPs have discontinued the provision of nutrition education in a group setting with the implementation of VENA. In order to help the state WIC office determine LWP needs and use for nutrition education lesson plans, please complete the questionnaire and fax (573-526-1470) or email to Vicki.Strickland@health.mo.gov by June 27, 2008. If you have any questions, please contact Vicki at Vicki.Strickland@health.mo.gov or 573-526-7961.
- VENA Education Committee May 21 Meeting Minutes: The VENA Education Committee had their most recent meeting on May 21. The meeting minutes and list of committee members are attached. The committee will skip meeting in June, July and August due to Program Updates training, LAP training and development of their LAP. The next meeting/conference call will be scheduled as a joint meeting in-person in September with the VENA Nutrition Committee. If there are issues you would like to discuss with any of the committee members, the attached includes contact information.
- Brief Survey on WIC Updates: In September 2006 we began putting the WIC Updates on the WIC web site instead of sending information by email. We would like your input on how the WIC Updates are working for you. The survey is short, only nine questions, and will take only a few minutes to complete. We would like at least one person from each agency to complete the survey. More are certainly welcome.
If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Nutrition Education Codes/HWNE Screen Changes: Effective June 23, 2008, the HWNE screen will be changed to no longer prompt the user to verify what was keyed. A 2nd CTRL will not be required to accept the codes. When you key the screen with the dates and codes for a participant, the screen will populate for all members of the family where the codes are applicable. If there are no errors in the codes, the data will be stored. This change is being made to assist with the reporting of nutrition education for agencies.
If you have questions about this change, please contact Melissa Seaver at email@example.com or 573-751-6489 or 800-392-8209.
- May Caseload Update: May 2008 caseload, while not setting yet another all time record month total, at participation of 142,716 did, like each of the other months of FFY2008, set a new all time record for the month of May. At eight months YTD of FFY2008 caseload is now 64,036 ahead of the same time period in FFY2007. Please see the attached graph. Our thanks to local agency staff for their continued hard work to provide WIC services to participants.
All caseload amendments for increases/decreases in total caseload and increases in per participant rate have been sent to your agencies. We are reviewing the most current caseload information to determine whether additional amendments are needed for agencies. If you believe your agency needs an increase in caseload, please contact your TA team soon.