January 7, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: December Caseload
SUBJECT 2: Registered Dietitian Licensed Dietitian
SUBJECT 3: University of Alabama Pediatric Nutrition Satellite Conference Sites Needed
SUBJECT 4: March Mandatory VENA 3 Step Counseling Training
SUBJECT 5: 2008 Enhancement Project Email Contact Changed
- December Caseload: Although the month of December 2007 saw the typical dip in WIC caseload, and dropped sharper than in past years, it still managed to keep pace with the lead started in October. December was 5% above the same month of the prior year at 137,260. See the caseload graph. The greatest growth in caseload continues to be in child participants. Getting all the participants served in December was challenging given fewer clinic days, and for some agencies terrible ice and snow. We thank all staff for their faithful work to see more and more participants. We will be reviewing caseloads in January to identify agencies needing contract amendments. If you believe your agency needs a contract change, please contact your district team. Any caseload questions can be directed to your district team or Jim Schindler at James.Schindler@health.mo.gov.
- Registered Dietitian Licensed Dietitians: The following is information that is included on the Missouri Dietetic Association website. All Registered Dietitians (RD's) have to be licensed in Missouri - not just those practicing Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT). If you are an RD and practicing in the State of Missouri you are mandated to be licensed. The following web sites will give you additional information if you would like to read more about licensure in Missouri:
Dietitian Practice Act - Sections 324-200-324.255
Scroll down to Section 324.200-324-255
Verification of License/Certification/Registration: www.pr.mo.gov/boards/dietitians/419-2510.pdf
All RD's have to be licensed in Missouri - not just those practicing MNT. If you are an RD and practicing in the State of Missouri you are mandated to be licensed.
Sign up now to become a Licensed Registered Dietitian. Applications are available from the Missouri Division of Professional Registration website . Additional information is available is available by contacting the State Committee of Dietitians at 573-522-3438 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Alabama Pediatric Nutrition Satellite Conference Sites Needed: Sites are needed by February 10th to host a viewing site for the 2008 Annual Pediatric Update from the University of Alabama at Birmingham on June 4th from 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. WIC and Nutrition Services is sponsoring this educational opportunity: "Assessment, Treatment and Environmental Factors that Impact Childhood Obesity". This training is usually held at health offices with satellite capabilities throughout the state by site coordinators. The site coordinators will need to be present throughout the training. The day before, they will need to pre-tune their satellite receiver and verify its proper operation. The site coordinator will need to locate the broadcast at least 45 minutes before the scheduled beginning, so problems can be resolved. They will also need to make sure attendees are signed in, provided handouts, and available to answer questions.
Registered dietitians, nutritionists, WIC agencies, and other health care professionals will attend to strengthen their focus on assessment and treatment of child and adolescent obesity. Additionally, the training will provide sessions on medical and environmental factors that have an impact on children and weight. Individual registration pamphlets will be available in the spring.
Please see the attached site registration form for details or contact Michele Bailey at (573) 751-6481 or Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov with questions.
- March MandatoryValue Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) 3 Step Counseling Training: Time is running out to register for the March MandatoryWIC and Nutrition Services' Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) 3 Step Counseling Training, if you did not attend the November Training. The one-day sessions will provide continuing education to WIC staff to increase their knowledge in areas that are specific to their scope of work. This interactive continuing education is designed to assist in encouraging and sustaining successful nutrition counseling using VENA guidelines. We will discuss strategies the staff can use during the counseling session at the WIC clinic that can quickly identify a participant's motivation to change and their emotions for enhancing the learning process of the counseling session, instruct the attendees on developing active listening techniques, ways to evaluate their teaching techniques and to identify which techniques work best with which type of WIC participant. The March trainings will be delivered on-site at several locations and dates throughout the state. The WIC RD, Nutritionist, and RN must attend.
Location and Dates:
March 3 - Kansas City - Truman Medical Center-Lakewood, Truman Room #2, 7900 Lee's Summit Road, Kansas City, MO 64139
March 4 - Cameron - Cameron Area Health Office, Large Conference Room, 207 East McElwain, Cameron, MO 64429
March 6 - West Plains - West Plains Civic Center, Walnut Room, 110 St. Louis Street, West Plains, MO 65775
March 7 - Springfield - Doling Family Center, Community Room, 301 East Talmage, Springfield, MO 65803
The registration form is attached. If you have questions, contact Michele Bailey at Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov or 573-751-6481.
- 2008 Enhancement Project Email Contact Changed: Wendy Werner will be the new person collecting the emailed applications. Please email your application to Wendy at Wendy.Werner@health.mo.gov. Applications are still due by COB January 31, 2007. Contact your District Team or Kathleen Davis at Kathleen.Davis@health.mo.gov with questions. The original article is in the December 3, 2007 WIC Update.
VENA 3 Step Counseling Training Brochure.
Missouri WIC Caseload 07-08
University of Alabama education - Registration Brochure