February 11, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: WIC Reports in Crystal
SUBJECT 2: Name of WIC New Data System
SUBJECT 3: New Satellite Numbers for Selected LWPs
SUBJECT 4: New Handout For The WIC Initial Contact (AR): "Tobacco, Alcohol and other Drugs (#508)" - English Version
SUBJECT 5: Revised WIC 29 - Documentation For Medical Needs Formula Issuance
SUBJECT 6: Smoke Exposure Nutrition Education Code
SUBJECT 7: Plastic Sleeves for Participant ID Folders
SUBJECT 8: National Nutrition Month
SUBJECT 9: January Caseload
SUBJECT 10: Breast Pump Order
- WIC Reports in Crystal: In an effort to help speed up the elimination of paper reports, we will be posting some reports on Crystal that are viewed only in Adobe Reader software. These reports will open in Adobe and do not have to be exported to Adobe to view or print. After opening the report, do a search on your agency number/name or page through the report to find the data for your agency.
We are beginning this process with two aggregate data reports. They are the HWINE500-01 Nutrition Education Summary and the HWIAC425-01 Participation reports. You can find these reports under the WIC Reports folder and each one will be in it's own folder. The run date of the report will be in the title to help with identifying it. Example: If the run date on the 425 report is 2-2-08, it contains data for January 08.
Please contact your district TA team for assistance with using the data from these reports.
Please contact Melissa Seaver at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-751-6489 for problems with opening or printing the reports.
- Name of WIC New Data System: The Steering Committee for the WIC new data system met on February 6 and has agreed on the name of our new data system. The name is Missouri WIC Information Network System (MOWINS). We received 25 suggestions for the name of the new data system and MOWINS was selected. Thanks to all who sent in a suggestion for the new name.
If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at email@example.com or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- New Satellite Numbers for Selected LWPs: There are 42 agencies that have at least one satellite that does not currently have a unique number. Effective March 3, 2008 all WIC satellites will have a number assigned that will be used when keying information into HANDS for participants at the satellite site. Larry Rutledge previously contacted the 42 agencies to inform them of the change and will soon send an email with more information to the administrator and WIC coordinator of the affected agencies.
If you have questions, contact Larry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-0226 or 800-392-8209.
- New Handout For The WIC Initial Contact (AR): "Tobacco, Alcohol and other Drugs (#508)" English Version - The State Office is pleased to provide a new education handout titled "Tobacco, Alcohol, and other Drugs (#508)" for the initial nutrition education contact (AR). The handout has been printed. Please order handouts using the updated WIC Nutrition Education Material Request Form (WIC-7) from the DHSS warehouse. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at 1-800-392-8209 or e-mail Takako at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Revised WIC 29 Form - Documentation For Medical Needs Formula Issuance: Thank you to the local WIC providers who provided valuable input in revising the Documentation For Medical Needs Formula Issuance form (WIC 29). The form was finalized based on feedback from local WIC providers. Please see the attached WIC 29 form. The form is being printed and will be available at the warehouse early March. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Smoke Exposure Nutrition Education Code: WICNS has added a new nutrition education code in response to requests from the LWPs. Smoke Exposure (SM) nutrition education code is now available and may be used for all categories (Prenatal women, Breastfeeding women, postpartum women (non- Breastfeeding women), Infants, and Children). Following are suggested topics for which this code may be used - Health effects/risks of smoke and tobacco; Protecting participants and their children from Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) exposure; and Referral to smoking cessation programs. Attached are a revised Nutrition Education Codes list and Nutrition Education Codes and Suggested Topics list. If you have questions regarding this nutrition education code, please contact your district nutritionist for technical assistance.
- Plastic Sleeves for Participant ID Folders: The State office is pleased to announce that 100,000 plastic sleeves have been purchased that can be used for the participant ID folders. These plastic sleeves will be delivered to the warehouse by the end of February.
We will notify you by the end of February through the WIC Weekly Updates with more details. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- National Nutrition Month® is around the corner. Attached is the National Nutrition Month Challenge developed by the Bureau of Health Promotion, Department of Health and Senior Services. The State WIC office plans to mail the National Nutrition Month Information Packet to all local WIC providers by the end of February. Please utilize the resource items. The resource items can be used for activities with WIC participants and co-workers at work. For more information, please visit the following website. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
To download education flyers and healthy eating, please visit www.eatright.org/nnm/.
- January Caseload: As traditionally occurs, WIC caseload went up in January, this time to 142,478, the highest caseload served. We are continuing to see the greatest caseload growth in services to children ages 1-5. We are reviewing all agency caseloads to identify those agencies needing contract amendments. If you believe your agency needs a contract change, please contact your district team. Any caseload questions can be directed to your district team or Jim Schindler at James.Schindler@health.mo.gov.
- Breast Pump Order: The State WIC Office is in the process of requesting approval from USDA to purchase Medela Lactina Select electric breast pumps, double pumping kits and Harmony manual breast pumps. If you would like to request any of these items for your agency please complete the attached order form and email to Kathy.Mertzufft@health.mo.gov or fax to 573-526-1470 by COB on Friday, February 29, 2008. If you have any questions please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at 573-526-4792.
Breastpumps and Kit Order Request 2-11-08
Missouri WIC Caseload JAN- 07-08
NE Codes and Suggested Topics
Nutrition Challenge 2008
Nutrition Education Codes.doc
WIC-7 Nutrition Education Material Request Form -02-07-08.doc
WIC 29 UPDATE FINAL to UPDATE LWP # 02-06-08.doc
WIC Substance Use Handout.pdf