December 22, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Attention HANDS Agencies
SUBJECT 2: Attention Agencies Who Have Not Yet Received All Their Measuring Equipment
SUBJECT 3: Breastfeeding Coordinator Training
SUBJECT 4: Blood Work for Infants Effective Immediately
SUBJECT 5: Back Order until December 29, 2008 (Bright Beginnings Soy Pediatric Drink)
SUBJECT 6: Corrected Food Package Codes for Bright Beginnings Soy Pediatric Drink
SUBJECT 7: New to WIC Works - Breastfeeding a Magical Bond of Love
SUBJECT 8: “Growing” Stickers for WIC children
- Attention HANDS Agencies: Many of you have called the WIC Help Desk recently with questions regarding procedures to follow when a WIC participant transfers to your agency from a MOWINS clinic. You will find four scenarios attached that will help you with these questions. If you have additional questions please call the WIC help desk at 800-554-2544.
- Attention Agencies Who Have Not Yet Received All Their Measuring Equipment: Seasons Greetings from Jeff. City! We hope you have benefitted from the measuring equipment sent to your agency. The remainder of your order will soon ship from Perspective Enterprises with an expected delivery date of Dec. 19.
We must receive verification that you received this equipment by December 24th in order to pay the invoice. Please either fax the packing slip to 573/526-1470 or e-mail Laura.Weiler@health.mo.gov verification of receipt as soon as possible!! It is VERY VERY important that we confirm that your agency received this equipment before the invoice can be paid.
- Breastfeeding Coordinator Training: A Breastfeeding Coordinator training is scheduled for April 1st and 2nd, 2009 in Jefferson City. The two-day session will cover the role of the Breastfeeding Coordinator, basic breastfeeding information, 3-Step Counseling, and guidelines for loaning breast pumps, including information on assembly, use and cleaning.
Training Dates: April 1 & 2, 2009
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (first day) and 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. (second day)
Location: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, 930 Wildwood, Jefferson City
The training is mandatory for all new Breastfeeding Coordinators, unless they have attended the BFPC Regional training "Loving Support through Peer Counseling". Any other staff member who would like additional information on breastfeeding is welcome to attend. Email or fax the attached registration form to the State WIC office by March 18th, 2009. If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792.
- Blood Work for Infants Effective Immediately: The state office has received questions from local WIC providers regarding when a blood work is required for infants. All infants shall have a blood work collected between 9 through 11 months of age. One blood test for children is required between 12 – 23 months of age (recommended at 15-18 months of age, ideally to be done 6 months after the infant screening). For example, the infant’s blood work was taken at 9 months then the child’s blood work would be taken at 15 months.
Blood work documentation: HANDS agencies will document the results on paper (HWPR printout, H208 screen or progress note) and not in the system. MOWINS agencies will enter the results in the Height/Weight/Blood tab in the participant’s folder. Attached is a one-page reference sheet clarifying this information. Please contact the district nutritionist assigned for your county if you have further questions.
- Back Order Until December 29, 2008 (Bright Beginnings Soy Pediatric Drink): PBM Products, LLC has notified the State WIC office that Bright Beginnings Soy Pediatric Drink is on back order until December 29, 2008. Please contact State WIC office if you have questions.
- Corrected Food Package Codes for Bright Beginnings Soy Pediatric Drink: The food package codes for Bright Beginnings Soy Pediatric Drinks in the Formula and Food Reference Sheet dated November 1, 2008 were incorrect. Attached is the corrected Page 12 in which food package codes for Bright Beginnings Soy Pediatric Drink are listed. Please share the attached sheet with your staff and use food package codes if Bright Beginning Soy Pediatric Drink is available in your area. Currently, Hy-Vee, Gerbes and Kroger grocery stores carry this product in Missouri. However, local WIC providers must call WIC vendors for its availability before issuing checks. Direct shipment is available through the WIC State office. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- New to WIC Works - Breastfeeding a Magical Bond of Love: (WIC Hispanic Breastfeeding and Promotion Project) provides research-based, culturally-sensitive breastfeeding resources that address perceived barriers to breastfeeding among Hispanic participants.
Visit http://www.nal.usda.gov/wicworks/Learning_Center/support_bond.html to find pamphlets, posters, a video, project summary and discussion guide - all available to download and use with WIC clients. Questions can be sent to email@example.com. (Note: WIC Works has a new email address)
- Growing Stickers for WIC Children: The State WIC office has shipped the “Growing” stickers to local WIC providers who responded to the State office by December 4, 2008. If your agency is interested in using the stickers and has not yet requested them, please e-mail the following information to Sheila Dessieux at Sheila.Dessieux@health.mo.gov by January 9, 2008:
- Name of Contact Person
- Name of Agency
- Agency Number
The stickers are limited in number at this time; therefore, we will ship the stickers to local WIC providers who requested them. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.