August 18, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Additional Information on Tuna
SUBJECT 2: WIC-24 Online Invoice Training
SUBJECT 3: Spanish Version of the New Missouri WIC Approved Food List
SUBJECT 4: Missouri WIC Association-Biennial Workshop
SUBJECT 5: Revised High Risk Care Plan Form (WIC 55)
SUBJECT 6: July Caseload Update
SUBJECT 7: New Literature Available on the Web
SUBJECT 8: New Tick Bite and Mosquito Bite Prevention Materials Available at DHSS Warehouse
- Additional Information on Tuna: The following additional information is in regard to the tuna can-size change.
- Revised Individual Food Item Codes For “OTH (other)” Food Package - Children and Women (08-08 version)
- “Creating An OTH Food Package Containing Tuna”
- Notification Letter Sent To WIC Vendors
Please see the attachments and share with your staff. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- WIC-24 Online Invoice Training: The Registration form is now available for the WIC-24 online invoice training. See dates for your area below. The training will be similar to the LAP training using laptop computers. We are excited about this new online WIC tool. We have planned two 2-hour trainings each day at the dates and locations below: (The morning training will be repeated in the afternoon.)
St. Louis County Library - Daniel Boone Branch
300 Clarkson Road
Ellisville, MO 63011
October 20, 2008
Southeastern District Office
2875 James Blvd.
Poplar Bluff, MO 63901
October 21, 2008
Clay County Health Department
800 Haines Drive
Liberty, MO 64068
October 27, 2008
The Library Station
2535 N. Kansas Expressway
Springfield, MO 65803
October 29, 2008
Macon Comfort Inn
1821 N. Missouri
Macon, MO 63552
October 30, 2008
State WIC Office
930 Wildwood Drive
Jefferson City, MO 65109
October 31, 2008
Complete the attached registration form to save your place in the training to learn about the billing process that begins in October. For questions call 1-800-392-8209, press #5 and ask for Kathleen Davis or Jim Schindler or email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to seeing you there.
- Spanish Version of the New Missouri WIC Approved Food List: The Spanish version of the food list will be printed and available at the DHSS warehouse in 1 or 2 weeks. If your agency needs the Spanish version of the food list, please e-mail Sheila Dessieux at Sheila.Dessieux@health.mo.gov and indicate the number of packets your agency needs. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- MISSOURI WIC ASSOCIATION-BIENNIAL WORKSHOP: The Missouri WIC Association will be holding its Biennial Workshop, October 23 and 24th 2008 in Jefferson City, Missouri. Regiration and tentative workshop schedule are attached. If you have further questions or concerns please contact your local MWA representative, Jim Wheaton, MWA President, at (816) 404-9745 or Lynn Murphy, MWA Vice-President, at (314) 615-8370. We will be looking forward to visiting with you and planning the future of Missouri WIC Association.
- Revised High Risk Care Plan Form (WIC 55): The High Risk Care Plan Form (WIC 55) was revised to clarify the CPA’s roles in coding for nutrition education and nutrition counseling. You will receive the 07/08 version of the WIC 55 form (pink form) the next time you order from the DHSS warehouse. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- July Caseload Update: The July 2008 caseload set another all time record month total with participation of 146,196. Caseload has grown 6% since July 2007. The greatest growth (11% since July 2007) is in services to children age 1-5. Please see the attached graph. We thank all local agency WIC staff that work faithfully to see more participants each month.
- New Literature Available on the Web: New handouts developed by USDA are now available on the Missouri WIC web page. The new literature pieces are:
- Protect Your Baby and Yourself from Listeriosis
- MyPyramid in Action: Dietary Supplements During Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
- MyPyramid in Action: Tips for Breastfeeding Moms
- MyPyramid in Action: Tips for Pregnant Moms
At this time, these four handouts are available only by downloading and printing at the agency. If you like using the handouts, would like to have them available in the warehouse and like to have them translated? Send an email to Rita Arni at email@example.com.
- New Tick Bite and Mosquito Bite Prevention Materials Available at DHSS warehouse: While children spend more time outdoors, caretakers need to consider taking preventive measures such as applying insect repellent to protect against disease-carrying ticks and mosquitoes. It is also important to remember to read labels and follow application directions before buying or applying repellents. The new materials provide information about using insect repellent as well as safety tips to avoid tick and mosquito bites. For more information about insect repellents, mosquitoes and ticks visit the websites listed below. Please use the attached literature order form for obtaining materials from the DHSS warehouse. If you have any questions or need more materials, please contact Alyce Turner at Alyce.Turner@health.mo.gov.
New Tick Bite Prevention Materials:
New Mosquito Bite Prevention Materials:
2008 Biennial MWA Workshop Agenda
2008 MWA Workshop Registration Form
July 2008 Caseload Graph 07-08
Notice on Tuna Can Size Changes 8-12-08
Ticks Order Sheet List 08-13-08 #1
Tuna - OTH 652 Either OR 08-13-08
TUNA Item Code Listing 10-07 FINAL To TUNA 08-13-08
West Nile Virus Order Form 08-13-08 #2
WIC 55 Form - HRCP WIC UPDATE 08-13-08
WIC24 Training registration FINAL