April 28, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Assessment and Treatment - Childhood Obesity Nutrition Ed. Opportunity
SUBJECT 2: Nutrition in Pregnancy Across the Lifespan - Nutrition Ed. Opportunity
SUBJECT 3: Handling Rebates from the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008
SUBJECT 4: WIC Reports on Crystal
SUBJECT 5: Recording Revision 9 Risk Factor Smoking Information
SUBJECT 6: Discontinuation of Acidophilus Milk and Kindercal(r) Institutional Products
- Assessment and Treatment: Childhood Obesity Nutrition Education Opportunity: WIC Registered Dietitians, Nutritionists, and RNs will want to take advantage of this statewide satellite training: Assessment, Treatment and Environmental Factors that Impact Childhood Obesity, on June 4 from 12:00 to 4:00 pm in Jefferson City, Poplar Bluff, Fulton, Bethany, St. Louis, and Forsyth. This year's conference will focus on assessment and treatment of child and adolescent obesity. Additionally, sessions on medical and environmental factors that have an impact on children and weight will be discussed. This training is sponsored by the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) and the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of WIC and Nutrition Services, Nutrition Training Institute. Please see the attached registration brochure for details or contact Michele Bailey at 573.751.6481 or Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov.
- Nutrition in Pregnancy Across the Lifespan, Nutrition Education Opportunity: WIC Nutritionists, Registered Dietitians, and Nurses will want to take advantage of this interactive teleseminar, Nutrition in Pregnancy Across the Lifespan, on June 12 from 1:00 to 3:00 pm in Jefferson City. This year's conference will focus on the metabolic and physiological changes in pregnancy that affect nutrient needs; risk factors placing adult women at risk for poor maternal and fetal outcomes; the nutrient needs in single vs. multiple pregnancies; the role of nutrient supplementation in the prevention of hypertensive disorders of pregnancy; the biological and socioeconomic factors that influence poor pregnancy outcomes in pregnant teens; how inadequate and excessive weight gain during adolescent pregnancy may affect fetal and maternal growth; and the current recommendations for energy and selected nutrients during adolescent pregnancy. This training is sponsored by the American Dietetic Association and the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of WIC and Nutrition Services, Nutrition Training Institute. Please see the attached registration brochure for details or contact Michele Bailey at 573.751.6481 or Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov.
- Handling Rebates from the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008: USDA has provided guidance regarding the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008. Specifically, the Act states that any credit or refund allowed or made to any individual from this Act shall not be taken into account as income. The rebate checks made under the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 are to be treated as other one-time, lump-sum payments, i.e., they are to be excluded from income when determining eligibility. Please share this with your agency WIC staff. If you have any questions, please contact the health program representative on your TA team.
- WIC Reports on Crystal: If you're looking for a report on paper to be sent through the mail, it may already be converted to electronic and posted on Crystal. Be sure to check out the table of contents to see what's there now.
You can go to WICLWP - Data and view the instructions on using Crystal, the schedule for converting the paper reports to PDF format and the instructions for completing the ASAP form for access. If you have questions, contact Melissa Seaver at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-751-6489 or 800-392-8209.
- Recording Revision 9 Risk Factor Smoking Information: The state WIC office has received questions from local WIC providers regarding keying of the smoking risk factor information into HANDS. Attached is a sample of the computer system screens and WIC-1 and WIC-2 forms which include questions to ask and keying the information into the system. If you have any questions please contact the HANDS Help Desk at 800-554-2544.
- Discontinuation of Acidophilus Milk and Kindercal(r) Institutional Products: The following items have been discontinued:
- Acidophilus Milk
- Kindercal(r) Products
The food item and food package codes for Acidophilus Milk will be inactivated during the week of April 28, 2008. Please share this change with your staff and participants as needed. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
UAB Obesity Conference Registration form
Nutrition in Pregnancy Registration Brochure