April 14, 2008 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: State Holidays in May
SUBJECT 2: 2007 Birth Data
SUBJECT 3: WIC Basic Orientation Training for CPAs
SUBJECT 4: VENA Education Committee March 27 Meeting Minutes
SUBJECT 5: Revised “Food To Grow On” Handout and Request Form (WIC 7)
SUBJECT 6: Description Change for Juice Food Item on WIC Checks
- State Holidays in May: The State WIC Office will be closed and there will be no HANDS Help Desk coverage on Truman’s Birthday, May 8 and Memorial Day, May 26.
If you have questions contact mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- 2007 Birth Data: We now have provisional birth data for WIC and Medicaid for 2007. The data table includes 2007 births, prenatal WIC and prenatal Medicaid numbers by county of residence. This data provides a general picture of how well we are doing in getting Medicaid moms into WIC.
If you have questions contact Mark Davis at email@example.com or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- WIC Basic Orientation Training for CPAs: Starting October 2008, the CPA/Nutritionist training will be extended by ½ day for a total of 2½ days. Delivery of the training will remain at the district offices. This additional time will allow training to expand on topics such as formula issues, high risk care plans, breastfeeding information, critical thinking skills, 3-step counseling, etc. Our goal is to continue improving training to meet staff needs during the ongoing implementation of Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) in WIC. A new training schedule with training times and dates will be provided later. If you have any questions, please contact D’Anne Ward at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- VENA Education Committee March 27 Meeting Minutes: The VENA Education Committee had their most recent meeting on March 27. The meeting minutes and list of committee members are attached. The committee will be meeting or having a conference call on a monthly basis with the next meeting/conference call scheduled for April 17. If there are issues you would like to discuss with any of the committee members, the attached includes contact information.
- Revised “Food To Grow On” Handout and WIC Resource Request Form (WIC 7): The State WIC office is pleased to introduce the revised “Food To Grow On” handout. This handout is available at the warehouse now. Please begin ordering the handout using the WIC Nutrition Education Resource Request Form (WIC 7). If you have any questions and/or suggestions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Description Change for Juice Food Item on WIC Checks: At the beginning of April, information was mailed to each WIC Vendor and Local WIC Provider within the state to inform them of the cost containment steps being taken. One of the items that will not be authorized as of May 1, 2008 is the 46-ounce size of plastic bottled ready-to-serve juice. In order to assist WIC participants and WIC Vendors in assuring that the correct sizes of juice are purchased, the wording on WIC checks for ready-to-serve and concentrate juice has been changed from: “JUICE: CAN/BOTTLE/FROZEN/CONC” to the following:“JUICE: APPROVED TYPES/SIZES.”
This change in the wording on the WIC Checks began April 9, 2008.
If you have any questions regarding this change, please contact Bridgett Henderson at Bridgett.Henderson@health.mo.gov or by calling 573-751-6204.
WIC-7 Nutrition Education Material Request Form 04-09-08.doc
Birth Data WIC Medicaid.xls
Food To Grow On 04-09-08.pdf
VENA Education Committee Meeting Minutes March 2008.doc
VENA Education Committee Members email and phone.doc