October 1, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: WIC HANDS Training On-the-Job (OTJ)
SUBJECT 2: HANDS Help Desk Coverage
SUBJECT 3: Food and Formula Reference Sheet - New Information
SUBJECT 4: VENA Education Committee
SUBJECT 5: National WIC Association (NWA)'s 2008 WIC Calendars
SUBJECT 6: Reminder – Mandatory Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) 3 Step Counseling Training
SUBJECT 7: FIPS County Codes for H201/H202 HANDS screens
SUBJECT 8: Multi-user Electric Breast Pumps
- WIC HANDS Training On-the-Job (OTJ): This training was announced at the WIC Conference in August 2007. Some of the criteria has been changed because of comments and suggestions received at that conference. The state WIC office is pleased to announce that the HANDS training can now be done on-the-job as an alternative to sending new employees to Jefferson City for the regular three (3) day HANDS training. An agency wanting to do HANDS OTJ must name a preceptor (person who will do the training) and the preceptor must meet the following criteria:
- Successful completion of the HANDS training given by the state office.
- Successful completion of a refresher training given by the state WIC office. This training will take half of a day and will be given at a location (to be announced) in the districts. This training must be done before starting the OTJ and is specific for the preceptors who will be teaching HANDS OTJ.
- At least one-year experience with all aspects of HANDS (keying/updating data and printing FI's) on a regular basis in the agency.
To sign your agency up for this option, please e-mail Michael Murphy at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide the name of the preceptor; preceptor's years of HANDS experience; when you expect to start training and how many people you will train. Please note, if you do not currently have any new staff to be trained, you can still sign up for this option. Michael will then contact you with more information regarding the training.
If you have questions, please contact Michael Murphy at email@example.com or 573-522-9487 or 800-392-8209.
- HANDS Help Desk Coverage: The WIC state office will be closed and there will be no HANDS Help Desk coverage from 8:00-5:00 on October 8, Columbus Day. Also, there will be no HANDS Help Desk coverage because of staff meetings from 1:00-5:00 on October 17 and from 8:30-3:00 on October 18.
If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Food and Formula Reference Sheet - New Information: The State WIC office is resending the updated WIC Reference Sheets for the WIC Formulas, Foods, and Food Packages, effective October 1, 2007. Mead Johnson and Nestlé Nutrition announced discontinuation of the following items: a) Good Start Supreme (Nestlé Nutrition) and b) Kindercal and Kindercal with Fiber (Mead Johnson). The food packages and food items for these have been inactivated in the HANDS system and are no longer available for issuing food instruments. The Kindercal products can be direct shipped. You will need to contact the State WIC office for Kindercal to be approved and direct shipped. The attached reference sheets included these changes. Please share the updated reference sheets with your staff. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at 1-800-392-8209 or e-mail Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
All authorized WIC Vendors were sent the attached notice regarding the discontinuation of the retail Kindercal products. WIC Vendors are being advised to allow the redemption of WIC Checks that have been issued for these products if they have the products in stock. If the store does not have the product in stock, they are being asked to direct the WIC customer back to their Local WIC Provider for assistance.
- VENA Education Committee Minutes: Attached are minutes from the September 13 VENA Education Committee. If you have comments or questions, please contact Vicki Strickland at Vicki.Strickland@health.mo.gov.
- National WIC Association (NWA)'s 2008 WIC Calendars: The DHSS warehouse will begin shipping the NWAs 2008 WIC Calendars (wall-size) in both English and Spanish to all local WIC providers in October. The calendars will be allocated based on the 2008 projected caseload. If you have any questions or suggestions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) 3 Step Counseling Training: This will be mandatory training for all CPAs (RDs, Nutritionists, RNs) unless verification of attendance at a Breastfeeding Coordinator Training or Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Training can be provided. Contact your District Nutritionist to determine whether you should attend. The one-day sessions will provide continuing education to WIC staff to increase their knowledge in areas that are specific to their scope of practice. This interactive continuing education is designed to assist in encouraging and sustaining successful nutrition counseling using VENA guidelines. We will discuss strategies the staff can use during the counseling session at the WIC clinic that can quickly identify participant's motivation to change and their emotions for enhancing the learning process of the counseling session. We will also instruct the attendees on developing active listening techniques, ways to evaluate their teaching techniques and to identify which techniques work best with which type of WIC participant. The training will be delivered on-site at several locations and dates throughout the state. The CPAs must attend, but all WIC staff is encouraged to attend. Training will be held from 8:30am to 4:00pm. See attached registration form. Registration deadline is October 5, 2007. If you have questions, contact Michele Bailey at Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov or 573-751-6481 or 800-392-8209.
- FIPS County Codes for H201/H202 HANDS screens: The H201/H202 screens require a county code to be keyed that is valid for the zip code. To assist with finding the correct code, DHSS has a website that you can go to and search by city to find the correct county and county code.
Also attached below, labeled "11 - FIPS County Codes", is a one page summary of just the counties along with the county codes. The website has more detail than the attached listing.
If you have questions, please call the HANDS Help Desk at 800-554-2544.
- Multi-user Electric Breast Pumps: Local agencies need to make a reasonable attempt to retrieve multi-user electric breast pumps that have not been returned by participants. This includes contacting the participant by phone, and if that is not successful, mailing a certified letter. If all reasonable attempts have failed, please complete the Missing or Damaged Multi-User Electric Breastpump Form, which is attached, and submit to the state. If the State WIC office in unable to retrieve the breast pump it will be removed from inventory. If you have any questions please contact Kathy Mertzlufft by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792.
The state WIC office would also like to remind local agencies to make sure all electric breast pumps that are loaned to participants and purchased with WIC funds, including Breastfeeding Peer Counseling and Enhancement Grant funds, have a WIC tag. To receive a WIC tag, please send an email to Michael Murphy at Michael.Murphy@health.mo.gov with the model and serial number of the pump.
FRS Updated Final
Letter to Vendors - Discontinuation of Retail Enfamil Kindercal Product 9-1-07
Minutes VENA Education Committee Meeting 9-13-07
VENA 3- Step Counseling Registration Brochure
11 - FIPS County Codes.doc
Missing or Damaged BP Form.doc