November 26, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Name the New WIC Data System Contest
SUBJECT 2: Update on New WIC Data System and Answers to Questions
SUBJECT 3: HANDS System Change - Effective 12/3/07
SUBJECT 4: Discontinued Paper Reports - Effective 12/3/07
SUBJECT 5: HANDS - Keying a Breastfeeding (B) woman to Nonbreastfeeding (N)
SUBJECT 6: New State WIC Office Staff Member
- Name the New WIC Data System Contest: For purposes of efficiency in applying for USDA funding for a new WIC data system, we used the name Missouri WIC Information Network System (MOWINS). This was not intended to be the final name for the new system. The New WIC Data System Steering Committee is looking for input and suggestions on what the new WIC data system should be called. Please send your suggested names to Mark Davis (Mark.Davis@health.mo.gov) or Larry Rutledge (Larry.Rutledge@health.mo.gov) for consideration by the committee. The contest will run from November 19 to December 14. Names can be submitted by individuals or by agencies. Get the creative juices flowing and send in your great names for the new system.
- Update on New WIC Data System and Answers to Questions from Program Updates:
The steering committee for the new WIC data system met on November 9. The steering committee decided to obtain input from LWPs in naming the new data system. Information on submitting a name for the new data system was in the WIC Updates of November 13. The Request for Proposal (RFP) for the implementation contractor for the new data system is almost complete. We hope to have the RFP “on the street” by early December 2007. The contractor should start work by March 2008. The questions and answers from the “blue card” questions from the October 2007 WIC Program Updates are attached.
If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- HANDS System Change: The following changes will be in HANDS on 12/3/07, please see the attached document labeled "HANDS changes effective 12-3-07" for more details.
- Infant/child - cannot be their own guardian.
- Contact date field - renamed to Initial contact date.
- Contact date and contact type - removal of some fields.
If you have any questions about these changes, please contact the WIC help desk at 800-554-2544 or Melissa Seaver at 573-751-6489.
- Discontinued Paper Reports: Effective 12/3/07, there are six (6) WIC reports that will no longer be printed on paper or mailed to the agencies. Please see the attached document "Dec 3, 2007 Discontinued Paper Reports" for details of these reports.
Some of these reports and the information contained in them can now be found on the Crystal Reports web site. If you do not have access to this site, please reference the July 2, 2007 WIC Updates for information.
If you have questions about the web reports, please contact your district TA team members for assistance.
- HANDS - Keying a Breastfeeding (B) woman to Nonbreastfeeding (N): The attached document labeled "B to N Keying" is a detailed procedure on how to key a B to N record for a mom who quits breastfeeding. If you have any questions about this, please contact the WIC Help Desk at 800-554-2544.
- New State WIC Office Staff Member: Please join the Nutrition Services Team in welcoming Nancy Green to the Missouri WIC Program at the State office. Nancy is our new Nutritionist III in the Southwestern District Health Office, located in Springfield. She started with the Department on November 16, 2007.
Nancy was most recently the WIC Nutritionist and Registered Dietitian in Webster County where she filled the roles of Nutrition Coordinator, Breastfeeding Coordinator, and Peer Counselor Coordinator. She represented the local agency on the state VENA Nutrition Education Committee. Additionally, she managed the Webster County Missouri Foundation For Health Breastfeeding Grant. She brings a wealth of experience to the Southwest District Nutritionist III position, as well as her outstanding qualifications. Nancy has a BS in Home Economics - Dietetics and a MS in Human Nutrition, both from University of Missouri - Columbia, and is a Registered Dietitian and Licensed in the state of Missouri.
Nancy’s responsibilities in Missouri WIC will include providing technical assistance to local WIC providers in the Southwestern District, monitoring, exempt formula approval, policy review and revision, literature review and revision, and training. We are happy to welcome Nancy to the WIC team in the State Office.