May 14, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Nutritionist III - Eastern District
SUBJECT 2: 2007-2008 Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI) Class
SUBJECT 3: Disaster/Emergency Preparedness Plan
SUBJECT 4: Shipment of the Revised and New Forms (06-07 version)
SUBJECT 5: Discontinued Forms
SUBJECT 6: District Meetings with the WIC Director
- Nutritionist III - Eastern District Office, St.Louis - Eva Obirek will be the Nutritionist III for WIC and Nutrition Services in the Eastern District Office located in St Louis. Eva will begin employment on May 21, 2007 with her first two days in Jefferson City at the WIC office. On May 23rd she will be available in the Eastern District Health Office.
Eva recently completed the American Dietetic Association Accredited Internship at Southeast Missouri State University in Cape Girardeau, MO. She earned a Master of Arts in Home Economics Education: Didactic Program in Nutrition, and a Bachelor of Science in Biology with a minor in Health Promotion also from Southeast Missouri State University. In the three years prior to completing her dietetic internship, Eva worked as a WIC Nutritionist in the state of New Jersey, providing nutrition education and nutritional screenings for WIC participants. She was actively involved with the on-site lactation consultants in breastfeeding promotion. Eva developed the WIC Walk Across America Project for her local agency staff while in New Jersey. The project was recognized at the New Jersey WIC State quarterly meeting for best of local WIC agencies project design. Eva is fluent in Polish and has some knowledge of Spanish and Russian.Eva’s responsibilities in Missouri WIC will include providing technical assistance to local WIC providers in the Eastern District, monitoring, exempt formula approval, policy review and revision, literature review and revision, and training. We are happy to welcome Eva to the WIC team.
- NUTRITION EDUCATION OPPORTUNITY: The University of Minnesota and the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services are sponsoring an educational opportunity. The video stream of the 2007 National Maternal Nutrition Intensive Course will be held at the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services 930 Wildwood Drive location on Tuesday, October 2nd and Wednesday, October 3rd from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Registered dietitians, nutritionists, WIC agency staff, and other health care professionals will strengthen their knowledge on ways appropriate nutrition services can improve pregnancy outcomes. Also being presented will be the effect of maternal eating behaviors on birth outcomes and maternal eating behaviors on infant health status and development. Characteristics of model programs and counseling approaches for maternal and infant nutritional health are also on the program. The University of Minnesota conducts this annual course, and has requested continuing education for nurses and dietitians. There is no charge for WIC employees. There is a $75.00 non-refundable fee for all other attendees. Please see the attached registration brochure for details or contact Michele Bailey at 573.751.6481 or Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov with questions.
- 2007-2008 Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI) Class: The State WIC Office had excellent candidates for the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services' (DHSS) Program for Dietetic Interns (PDI). Through the Pre-select option, two (2) interns were selected from LWPs and through the Computer Match option, two (2) interns were selected for the 2007-2008 class. The interns for next year beginning in September 2007 are Leslie Hesse, Pettis Co. Health Dept.; Amy Johnson, Johnson Co. Health Dept.; Suzanne Cravens, Illinois State University; and Kristen Kettenbach, St. Louis University. If you have questions about the PDI or application process, please check the website or contact Vicki Strickland at 800-392-8209 or email@example.com.
- Shipment of the Revised and New Forms (06-07 version): The State WIC office will be shipping the following forms to all local WIC providers during the week of May 14, 2007:
- WIC Certification - Women (WIC-1)
- WIC Certification - Infant/Child (WIC-2)
- High Risk Care Plan (HRCP) - Infants/Children/Women (WIC 55)The WIC-1 and WIC-2 forms were revised due to the 3-digit risk factor code implementation. We recommend all local WIC providers begin using the revised forms effective June 1, 2007. The guidelines for completing the High Risk Care Plan form (WIC 55) and the revised WIC Supply Request form (WIC 8) will be sent through Monday UPDATE on May 21, 2007. Please share this information with your staff and order additional forms from the DHSS warehouse as needed. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Discontinued Forms: The following forms will be discontinued Effective June 1, 2007:
- High Risk Nutrition Care Plan For Prenatal Women (WIC 53)
- High Risk Nutrition Care Plan For Infants/Children (WIC 54)Please recycle any of these forms you may have in your office. It is not necessary to transfer information from the WIC 53 and 54 forms into the new High Risk Care Plan form (WIC 55). If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- District Meetings with the WIC Director: The last three meetings are scheduled for:
May 17, 10:00 to 12:00 in Macon at the NE District Health Office
May 18, 10:00 to 12:00 in St. Joseph at the St. Joseph-Buchanan County Health Department
May 23, 1:30 to 3:30 in Springfield at the Brentwood Branch Library, Community Room (directions are available on the library web page at http://thelibrary.springfield.missouri.org/about/hours.cfm)The director’s update will include: new WIC data system; trimonthly check issuance pilot project; federal budget proposal for 2008; electronic WIC reports; WIC on the web; proposed WIC food package changes; and assessing customer satisfaction with WIC services. There will be time for you to share local agency issues and concerns. Attendance is not mandatory. Please let Lyn know if you plan to attend a meeting; it helps us to plan for room arrangements and materials. Questions/issues can be sent to Lyn ahead of time by calling her at 573-751-6086 or by email at Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov.
2007 National Maternal Nutrition Intensive Course