March 12, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: HANDS Help Desk Coverage on March 26
SUBJECT 2: Microsoft Office 2000 Licenses
SUBJECT 3: 5 Year Old - Recert Date Extensions
SUBJECT 4: WIC Caseload Update for FFY07
SUBJECT 5: Public Health Law Program Survey
SUBJECT 6: New Nutrition Education Handouts
SUBJECT 7: Retirement
- HANDS Help Desk Coverage on March 26: There will be no HANDS Help Desk coverage on Monday, March 26, 2007 from 9:00 to 3:00 because of a staff meeting. If you have questions contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- Microsoft Office 2000 Licenses: In the WIC Update of October 23, 2006, information was sent stating that the state WIC office would soon submit a request for Operational Adjustment funds to purchase licenses of Office 2000 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) for agencies that responded saying they wanted it installed on their WIC computers that did not have the software. Several agencies responded with the number of computers that needed the software. We submitted the request and it was approved. The software has been ordered and should arrive within a month or so. When it arrives, ITSD field technicians will install it on the designated WIC computers of agencies that previously requested it. Note-we ordered Office 2007 but will install Office 2000 on the computers. Doing this will ensure compatibility with DHSS computers and the Manual Check Program- both use Office 2000. When it's time to upgrade to either Office 2003 or Office 2007, this can easily be done without additional purchase.
If you are not sure if you requested the software or are unsure of the number of licenses you requested, please contact Mark Davis at email@example.com or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- 5 Year Old - Recert Date Extensions: Due to a new USDA policy memo, MPSF-WC-07-05-P, which clarifies program requirements regarding certification and monthly food benefits, the WIC HANDS Help Desk will no longer extend the recert date for a child turning 5, beyond the date the HANDS system assigns or allows the agency to key on either the H422 recertification or the H423 update screen. This change will go into effect on April 2, 2007. In the past, the WIC HANDS Help Desk has extended the recert date if it is one or two months prior to the 5th birthday. Please refer to WOM policy ER# 3.03500 for an explanation of when recert dates can be extended.
If you have questions, please contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- WIC Caseload Update for FFY07: We have received the February 2007 caseload figures. Caseload was 130,489 participants served. While making the traditional February dip, 2007 caseload still managed to come in 1.11% higher than February of 2006. We appreciate the dedicated efforts of local agencies to service WIC participants. If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Lyn Konstant at Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov or Jim Schindler at James.Schindler@health.mo.gov.
- Public Health Law Program Survey: The Public Health Law Program has been funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to design a national legal & policy network to promote nutrition and physical activity advocacy and aid in the prevention of childhood obesity. If you would like to provide input on what you feel are high priority issues that you would like Public Health Law Program to address, please complete the survey at the web address. You can pass the survey request on to others you know that would be interested in providing input. Each respondent, however, should only complete the survey once. The goal is to get as many responses as possible so they know what are higher priority issues. The survey is at: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=221113263262.
- New Nutrition Education Handouts: The following items are from USDA's "Nibbles For Health - Nutrition Newsletters for Parents of Young Children": Milk For Kids (# 348), Iron in Foods (# 356), Lets Eat Out (# 349), Food Allergies (# 367), and Fight BAC (# 350). Please feel free to use them as needed. The printed handouts should be available in April 2007. If you have any suggestions and questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Retirement: Bonnie Briley from the Southwest District office in Springfield is retiring effective March 31, 2007. Please join with us in thanking Bonnie for over 29 years of outstanding and dedicated service to the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, the WIC program and the citizens of Missouri. He has had a long career with the Department and will be missed.
We are working to fill this important position as quickly as possible. In the meantime, if you have questions or need for technical assistance, please call the state WIC office at 800-392-8209.
2007 Caseload Oct-Feb.xls