January 16, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: District Meetings with the WIC Director
SUBJECT 2: Extra Formula
SUBJECT 3: 2008 NWA Nutrition Education Calendar
SUBJECT 4: FAMIS Screen Instructions
SUBJECT 5: Discontinuation of Forms and Brochures
- District Meetings with the WIC Director: Lyn Konstant, WIC Director, will be hosting meetings in each of the six districts and St. Joseph this spring. These were very successful last year and a wonderful opportunity for Lyn to visit with agencies and talk with staff directly. Local agency administrators, WIC coordinators and any other WIC staff are invited to meet with Lyn. An update on major WIC projects such as the pilot for trimonthly check issuance, new WIC data system, VENA and electronic WIC reports will be provided. There will be time for discussion of local agency issues and concerns. Dates, locations and times are as follows:
March 8, 10:00 to 12:00 in St. Louis at the Eastern District Health OfficeYou may attend a meeting in any location. Attendance is not mandatory. Please let Lyn know if you plan to attend a meeting; it helps us to plan for room arrangements and materials. Questions/issues can be sent to Lyn ahead of time by calling her at 573-751-6086 or by email at Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov. An agenda and directions to meeting locations will be forthcoming.
March 27, 10:00 to 12:00 in Independence at the NW District Health Office
April 5, 1:30 to 3:30 in Poplar Bluff at the SE District Health Office
April 12, 10:00 to 12:00 in Jefferson City in the WIC and Nutrition Training Room
May 17, 10:00 to 12:00 in Macon at the NE District Health Office
May 18, 10:00 to 12:00 in St. Joseph at the St. Joseph-Buchanan County Health Department
May 23, 1:30 to 3:30 in Springfield at the Brentwood Branch Library, Community Room
- Extra Formula (Attachments): A database listing unused infant formulas and medical foods is kept at the State WIC Office. With the implementation of the approval authority for many infant formulas and medical foods now at the local level, the State Office may not always know what is available. Please check the listing in order to utilize formulas with the most recent expiration date first, prior to placing an order, to help keep food costs down.
Attached is a current listing of extra formula available at different LWPs and guiding principles for shipping formula, which was created to assist you when sending or receiving extra supply of infant formula. Please be sure to notify your district nutritionist or D'Anne Ward when you have unused formula available at your agency so it can be added to the database. If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact D'Anne Ward at 1-800-392-8209 or email email@example.com.
- 2008 NWA Nutrition Education Calendar: This is to remind you that the deadline for the 2008 NWA Nutrition Education Calendar Children's Art Competition is Monday, January 22, 2007. Please encourage your participants to enter the competition and win a $500 gift certificate for your clinic. If you have questions, please contact Rita Arni at Rita.Arni@health.mo.gov or 1-800-392-8209.
- FAMIS Screen Instructions: We have had several questions from agencies on access to FAMIS and the need for instructions on which screens to use. We have been in contact with the Department of Social Services (DSS) and have the following information and guidance.
DSS does not notify users when it grants access to the FAMIS (Family Assistance Management Information System) screens to see if a participant is enrolled in the Food Stamps program. The only way to know when your access has been approved is to test it out by logging into the system.
Attached are instructions on how to log into and use the FAMIS screens by using your PROD User Id and Password. These instructions will show you which screens to use to access the pieces of information you need. If you have not received FAMIS access two weeks after you have applied for it or have questions about how to verify participation in FAMIS, please contact Jan Lupkey at Jan.Lupkey@health.mo.gov or by calling the HANDS Help desk at 1-800-554-2544.
- Discontinuation of Forms and Brochures: As stated in previous Weekly Updates and trainings, local WIC providers are required to begin using new nutrition assessment forms on January 15, 2007, please discontinue using the diet intake forms listed below. The items below were discontinued and are not available at the DHSS warehouse as of January 15, 2007.
- Diet Intake-Females (English) NPE-16/WIC-16
- Diet Intake-Females (Spanish) WIC-16-SP
- Diet Intake-Children (English) NPE-18/WIC-18
- Diet Intake-Children (Spanish) WIC-18-SP
- Nutrition Assessment-Infants NPE-19
- Diet Intake-Infants NS-17
- Daily Food Guide (1 to 3 years) #164
- Daily Food Guide (4 to 6 years) #165
- Daily Food Guide (Pregnant, Breastfeeding and Postpartum) #163
If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.