February 26, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: Annual WIC News Release
SUBJECT 2: District Meetings with the WIC Director
SUBJECT 3: Microcuvette Survey
SUBJECT 4: Breastfeeding Coordinator Training
SUBJECT 5: Reminder - Formula Approval
SUBJECT 6: Annual Training Requirements at LWPs
SUBJECT 7: MyPyramid For Kids and MyPyramid - Steps to Healthier You (English Version)
- Annual WIC News Release: The attached News Release has been distributed statewide. We encourage you to work with your local media to offer information about your local WIC agency. This is an excellent opportunity to share local WIC information with your local media and the public. Please contact Glenn.Studebaker@health.mo.gov for assistance in working with the media.
- District Meetings with the WIC Director: Lyn Konstant, WIC Director, will be hosting meetings in each of the six districts and St. Joseph this spring. These were very successful last year and a wonderful opportunity for Lyn to visit with agencies and talk with staff directly. Local agency administrators, WIC coordinators and any other WIC staff are invited to meet with Lyn. Attached is an agenda, meeting dates and times. You may attend a meeting in any location. Attendance is not mandatory. Please let Lyn know if you plan to attend a meeting; it helps us to plan for room arrangements and materials. Questions/issues can be sent to Lyn ahead of time by calling her at 573-751-6086 or by email at Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov.
- Microcuvette Survey: It's time to order Microcuvettes. Please follow the instructions below to ensure your agency receives your supply of microcuvettes.
- Microcuvette Survey: The Microcuvette Survey will allow us to accurately order supplies of microcuvettes for each Local WIC Provider on a timely basis. Please complete and return the attached survey via e-mail to Crystal.Collins@health.mo.gov by March 9, 2007. This will assure no interruption in the supply of microcuvettes.
- Microcuvette Order: The information from the survey will be used to identify the current supply on hand at each agency and to estimate the needs of each agency for the next six months. The order will be submitted to HemoCue and shipped directly to your agency.
- Local WIC Provider Confirmation: When you receive the order, please verify the number of microcuvettes received with the number listed on the packing slip. If the number of microcuvettes in the package is the same as the packing slip, sign and date the packing slip. Please fax the packing slip to Crystal Collins at the State WIC Office within one (1) week of receiving the shipment. The fax number is 573-526-1470. Confirmation on the packing slip is required in order for the State WIC Office to pay for the microcuvettes. Confirmation by e-mail will not be accepted. If the number of microcuvettes received is different from the packing slip, please call Crystal Collins at (573) 526-4622. Thank you for your cooperation.
- Breastfeeding Coordinator Training: Breastfeeding Coordinator training is scheduled for June 19 and 20, 2007. The two-day session will provide attendees with updated program information and clarification regarding breastfeeding. Agenda items include Identifying the Role of the Breastfeeding Coordinator, Loving Support Makes Breastfeeding Work, Communication Skills, Talking with Mothers About Breastfeeding: During Pregnancy, During the First Two Weeks After Delivery, During Months 1 to 12, and When Mother and Baby are Separated. Additional information will be given on breast pumps, including guidelines for loaning electric breast pumps and assembly, use and cleaning.
Training Dates: June 19 & 20, 2007.
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (first day) and 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. (second day)
Location: Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, 930 Wildwood, Jefferson City
This training is mandatory for all new Breastfeeding Coordinators and any Breastfeeding Coordinators who did not attend the training last year. Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinators who attended the BFPC regional training “Loving Support Through Peer Counseling” do not need to attend this training. Any other staff members who would like additional information on breastfeeding are welcome to attend. Fax the registration form as instructed to the State WIC office before May 15, 2007.
- Reminder - Formula Approval: The formula approval authority process in place since November 2005 requires the LWP to call the State WIC office for those formulas requiring State Nutritionist Approval. We have a registered dietitian who is assigned the responsibility of formula approvals on specific dates. When the formula requires a state nutritionist's approval, the LWP should call the state WIC office (800-392-8209). The call will then be directed to the state nutritionist covering formulas on that particular day to ensure that formula requests are taken care of as soon as possible to meet participant needs. Please do not call your TA nutritionist directly as they are often times not available to handle your formula approval request.
- Reminder - LWP Annual Training: This is a reminder that the State WIC Office requires LWPs to provide all staff with an annual civil rights training using the Self-teaching Civil Rights Training module (CRT) and an annual breastfeeding training using the Breastfeeding Support and Promotion power point presentation. The Civil Rights Training module and the Breastfeeding Support and Promotion power point presentation can be accessed as a link from the WOM under "Training Modules". Please ensure that training is completed by each staff member annually and documented in the LWP staff-training file for monitoring purposes.
See the attachments for the training policy and training summary chart. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
- MyPyramid For Kids and MyPyramid - Steps to Healthier You (English Version): The DHSS warehouse will ship a 2 to 3 month supply of the following items to all local WIC agencies during the next week: 1) MyPyramid For Kids and 2) MyPyramid - Steps For Healthier You (For Postpartum Women). Please order additional supplies as needed using the local WIC provider Supply Request form (WIC 8) posted on DHSS web: http://www.health.mo.gov/living/families/wic/wicupdates/index.php2006/december26_2006.php. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
WIC News Release 1-07
District Meetings with the WIC Director Agenda 2007
Cuvettes on hand memo 3-07
BF CoordinatorTraining Registation
SUMMARY OF REQUIRED TRAININGS AND PREREQUISITES