December 31, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: 2009 National WIC Association Calendar Art Competition
SUBJECT 2: Voter Registration
SUBJECT 3: Breast Pump Policy 6.05100
SUBJECT 4: University of Alabama Pediatric Nutrition Satellite Conference Sites Needed
SUBJECT 5: HANDS Help Desk Coverage
SUBJECT 6: DCN Assignments using SCLR screen
SUBJECT 7: HANDS Changes effective 1/1/08
SUBJECT 8: Participant No-Show Report on the Web
SUBJECT 9: Breastfeeding Conference
- 2009 National WIC Association Calendar Art Competition: The National WIC Association, once again, invites the kids from your clinic(s) to participate in its 3rd Children's Art Competition for the 2009 Nutrition Education Calendar. This has been very successful the past two years engaging the clinic staff and the children in this fun activity. Your agency could win a $500 gift certificate!
Details at: http://www.paramountcommunication.com/nwica/wi194_09CallforEntries_r12.pdf Contact the National WIC Association national office at (202) 232-5492 for more details.
- Voter Registration: Local WIC Providers are required by the National Voter Registration Act of 1993 to offer voter registration services. The law can be found at http://www.justice.gov/crt/about/vot/42usc/subch_ih.php. The local agency WIC contract also includes this requirement in Section 2, subsection 6.6 of your local WIC contract "The Contractor shall provide voter registration services or assure that services are made available to WIC Program applicants in compliance with the National Voter Registration Act of 1993."
Local WIC agencies are to make voter registration materials available to WIC participants, to offer assistance in completing the voter registration, to accept completed registrations and to transmit these to the local election authority within five business days after the form is completed. Voter registration cards (form MO 231-0169 (04-07)) are available from the DHSS warehouse and can be ordered on the WIC order form.
Please review your local agency policies and practices and the NRVA compliance requirements with your staff to ensure to ensure you are complying with the law. If you have any questions about this, please contact your district technical assistance team.
- Breast Pump Policy 6.05100: The Breast Pump Policy has been revised and approved by the USDA. The revised policy is attached and is in the new format, which includes the actual policy, procedures for providing pumps and additional guidelines. Additional guidance is attached, which includes a Sample Loan Agreement, Sample LWP Breast Pump Loan Guideline, Sample Breast Pump Tracking Log and Breast Pump Decision Tree.
Please remember that all electric breast pumps that are loaned to participants must have a WIC tag and be included in the state inventory. Local agencies must make a reasonable attempt to retrieve electric breast pumps that participants have failed to return. If your agency has an electric breast pump that you have not been able to retrieve or has been damaged beyond repair and need to take it out of the state inventory, please complete the attached Missing or Damaged Electric Breast Pump Form and submit to the state WIC office.
If you have any questions regarding breast pumps or the revised Breast Pump Policy, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft by email at Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov or by phone at 573-526-4792.
- University of Alabama Pediatric Nutrition Satellite Conference Sites Needed:
Sites are needed by February 10th to host a viewing site for the 2008 Annual Pediatric Update from the University of Alabama at Birmingham on June 4th from 12:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. WIC and Nutrition Services is sponsoring this educational opportunity: "Assessment, Treatment and Environmental Factors that Impact Childhood Obesity". This training is usually held at health offices with satellite capabilities throughout the state by site coordinators. The site coordinators will need to be present throughout the training. The day before, they will need to pre-tune their satellite receiver and verify its proper operation. The site coordinator will need to locate the broadcast at least 45 minutes before the scheduled beginning, so problems can be resolved. They will also need to make sure attendees are signed in, provided handouts, and available to answer questions.
Registered dietitians, nutritionists, WIC agencies, and other health care professionals will attend to strengthen their focus on assessment and treatment of child and adolescent obesity. Additionally, the training will provide sessions on medical and environmental factors that have an impact on children and weight. Individual registration pamphlets will be available in the spring.
Please see the attached site registration form for details or contact Michele Bailey at (573) 751-6481 or Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov with questions.
- HANDS Help Desk Coverage-Upcoming Holiday: There will no HANDS Help Desk coverage and the State WIC Office will be closed on January 21 for the Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday. If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- DCN Assignments using SCLR screen: Some of you may already know this, but we just learned that every baby born in Missouri is assigned a DCN by DHSS Bureau of Vital Records, usually 2 weeks to 2 months after birth. Keep in mind this information when you are searching for a DCN for a new baby to put on WIC. Please make sure to search carefully using the SCLR screen and check all the information keyed (name, date of birth, sex, etc.) on that screen before you assign a DCN.
**Note: The SCLR screen does not do a wide search on the sex. For example, if you key a female and there is a DCN assigned as a male for that participant, the SCLR screen will not find the DCN assigned as a male.
If you have questions, please call the WIC Help Desk at 800-554-2544.
- HANDS Changes effective 1/1/08: The following changes will be made to HANDS:
- Medicaid Name change to MOHealthnet
- HCAL Screen
- H403/H423 blood work date
Please reference the attached document labeled "HANDS Changes Effective 1-1-08", for details concerning these changes.
If you have questions, please call the WIC Help Desk at 800-554-2544.
- Participant No-Show Report on the Web: The participant No-Show FI report on the web has been updated. It should now show only participants for an agency (or agency range) who have not picked up FIs for the current month. It is no longer necessary to key in the current month/year on the parameter field. Only key a single agency number or agency range if there are multiple sites that you want to view the report for.
If you find anything wrong with this report such as participants missing or participants listed who should not be, please contact Melissa Seaver at email@example.com or 573-751-6489 or 800-392-8209.
- Breastfeeding Conference: Save the date! The Southeast Missouri Breastfeeding Task Force and Southeast Missouri Hospital is hosting a breastfeeding conference on Friday, April 4, 2008 at the Drury Inn in Cape Girardeau. Amy Spangler, MN, RN, IBCLC, Marsha Walker, RN, IBCLC and Richard Flaksman, MD will be guest speakers. Cost to register for the conference will be $50 and registration information will be available by February 2008. Attached is the agenda for the conference. For more information contact Cheryl Wormington at 573-270-5445.
APRIL BF CONFERENCE Cape Girardeau
Breast Pump Damage-Missing Form
Breast Pump Decision Tree
Breast Pump Inventory Tracking Log Sample
Breast Pump Loan Agreement Sample
Breast Pump Loan Guidelines Sample
ER# 6.05100 Breast Pump Policy 10-07
HANDS Changes 1-01-08
University of Alabama education - Registration Brochure