August 20, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: State WIC Office Closed on Labor Day, September 3
SUBJECT 2: State Breastfeeding Coordinator Vacancy
SUBJECT 3: Mandatory WIC and Nutrition Services Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) 3 Step Counseling Training
SUBJECT 4: Anthropometric Risk Factors 113 and 114 Clarification
SUBJECT 5: WIC Conference August 28 - Aug 31
- State WIC Office Closed on Labor Day, September 3: The state WIC office will be closed and there will be no HANDS Help Desk coverage on Labor Day, September 3, 2007. If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
- State Breastfeeding Coordinator Vacancy: As many of your know, Cathy Kruse, State Breastfeeding Coordinator, has left her position with the Department to move on to another opportunity. Cathy was a wonderful resource for the WIC Program, and we wish her the best in her new adventure. This leaves an important vacancy in the WIC breastfeeding program. We are now searching for a new person to be the State Breastfeeding Coordinator. Attached is a short description of the position and information on how to apply. If you know of someone who might be interested, please encourage them to apply for the position. For more information, contact Karen Schenk at 573-751-6429 or email her at Karen.Schenk@health.mo.gov.
- Mandatory WIC and Nutrition Services: Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA) 3 Step Counseling Training. This will be mandatory for all CPAs (RDs, Nutritionists, RNs) unless verification of attendance at a Breastfeeding Coordinator Training or Breastfeeding Peer Counseling Training can be provided. Contact your District Nutritionist to determine whether you should attend. The one-day sessions will provide continuing education to WIC staff to increase their knowledge in areas that are specific to their scope of practice. This interactive continuing education is designed to assist in encouraging and sustaining successful nutrition counseling using VENA guidelines. We will discuss strategies the staff can use during the counseling session at the WIC clinic that can quickly identify participant's motivation to change and their emotions for enhancing the learning process of the counseling session. We will also instruct the attendees on developing active listening techniques, ways to evaluate their teaching techniques and to identify which techniques work best with which type of WIC participant. The training will be delivered on-site at several locations and dates throughout the state. The CPAs must attend, but all WIC staff is encouraged to attend. Training will be held from 8:30am to 4:00pm. See attached registration form. Registration deadline is October 5, 2007. If you have questions, contact Michele Bailey at Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov or 573-751-6481 or 800-392-8209.
- Anthropometric Risk Factors 113 and 114 Clarification: The state office has received questions from local WIC providers regarding assigning risk factor 113 Overweight Children and risk factor 114 At Risk of Becoming Overweight together. The participant would either be overweight or at risk of becoming overweight therefore both risk factors could not be assigned at the same time. Attached is the revised first-page of the Risk Factor Definitions Table clarifying this information. This was the only change made. Please contact the district nutritionist assigned for your county if you have further questions.
- WIC Conference August 28 - 31: Most of the State WIC Office staff will be at the WIC Conference beginning at noon August 28 until noon August 31 (Tuesday - Friday). There will be someone to answer the phone and to relay messages to State Office staff attending the conference. HANDS Help Desk Coverage during the WIC Conference will be every day from 8:00-12:00. If you have questions contact Mark Davis,email@example.com or 573-526-5323 or 800-392-8209.
Formula Approvals August 28, 29 & 30, 2007 - State WIC nutritionists who normally approve formula that require state approval will be at the Missouri WIC Conference on Tuesday, August 28th, Wednesday, August 29th, and Thursday, August 30th. On these days the LWP Nutritionist or Registered Dietitian (RD) has permission to approve the formula for 1 month only; in cases where the LWP does not have a nutritionist or RD on staff, the CPA may then approve the formula for 1 month only. They should follow up with a phone call at 1-800-392-8209 or email message to Nancy Russell at Nancy.S.Russell@health.mo.gov on Friday, August 31st.