April 9, 2007 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: No HANDS Help Desk Coverage on Parts of April 18 & 19
SUBJECT 2: New State WIC Web Site
SUBJECT 3: Sudden Infant Death Conference
SUBJECT 4: WIC Caseload Update for FFY07
SUBJECT 5: FFY07 Mid-Year Evaluation
SUBJECT 6: Implementation Date for 3 digit risk factors and Revision 8 Dietary Risk Factors will be Monday, June 4, 2007
SUBJECT 7: Final - High Risk Care Plan Form for Infants, Children, and Women (WIC 55)
SUBJECT 8: Beech-Nut’s Infant Cereal and Juice Packaging Changes
SUBJECT 9: National Women's Health Week
SUBJECT 10: Missouri WIC Conference
- No HANDS Help Desk Coverage on Parts of April 18 & 19: There will be no HANDS Help Desk coverage on April 18, 2007 from 1:00-5:00 and April 19, 2007 from 10:00-3:00 due to State WIC Office staff meetings. If you have questions contact Mark Davis at email@example.com or 800-392-8209 or 573-526-5323.
- New State WIC Web Site: Because of difficulties some participants and others have had with navigating our former web site, we have a new web site and we would like you to check it out when you have a chance. When you go to the WIC home page, you will see three options: Vendor Home, Local WIC Provider Home and Families Home. The Vendor pages have information vendors will be interested in, including the Vendor Manual and Vendor Application. The Local WIC Provider pages have information for LWPs such as the WIC Updates, forms and much more. The Families pages have information on how to get on WIC, what WIC can do for me and the locations of WIC agencies and vendors. Of course, any one can look at any of the pages. The new web site has more pictures and additional information the former web site didn't have. If you have questions, contact Glenn Studebaker at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-392-8209 or 573-751-6098.
- Sudden Infant Death Conference: The Department of Health and Senior Services and SIDS Resources, Inc. are hosting a conference "Sudden Infant Death: The crucial role of providers in reducing risks" on May 2, 2007 at the Truman Hotel in Jefferson City. The conference will focus on the role of providers in reducing SIDS, the American Academy of Pediatrics safe sleep recommendations and safe sleep environment. The brochure includes the program agenda and registration information. For more information on the conference, please contact Karen Schenk at Karen.Schenk@health.mo.gov or by calling 573-751-6429.
- WIC Caseload Update for FFY07: We have received the March 2007 caseload figures. Caseload was 131,888 participants served. March 2007 was higher than March 2006 - but not by much, 133 - only 0.01% higher. Therefore the slope of the increase from February to March was not as steep as in prior years. We appreciate the dedicated efforts of local agencies to service WIC participants. If you have questions or need additional information, please contact Lyn Konstant at Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov or Jim Schindler at James.Schindler@health.mo.gov.
- FFY07 Mid-Year Evaluation: This is a reminder that the WIC FFY07 mid-year was reached on March 31, 2007, so your Mid-Year Goal Evaluation should now be completed (ER# 1.03200). The Mid-year Evaluation can be found on the Goals and Objectives Worksheets of your Local Agency Plan (LAP). Complete the Mid-year Evaluation section found on each of the Goal and Objective(s) Worksheet(s) you completed for your LAP.
It is very important that when you do your FFY08 LAP later this year, you use the approved FFY07 version of your LAP with your completed Mid-Year Evaluation. FFY 08 LAPs without appropriate evaluations and FFY07 LAP approvals cannot be approved. State versions of your approved LAP will not have your Mid-Year Evaluation for FFY07 until we receive it from you in August.
Submit changes to your Goals or Objectives from your Mid-Year Evaluation to your District Nutritionist. Update the program inventory to include items that have been purchased, received from the state, or donated in the current year. Maintain the evaluation in your office until the LAP is updated in August.
Note: For those agencies that evaluate their goal with the Management Assessment Part I (895-01) or Part II (896-01), you may use the mid-year counterpart of those reports, Management Assessment Part I (897-01) or Part II (898-01). Questions about mid-year program requirements may be directed to Glenn Studebaker at email@example.com or 573-751-6198 or 1-800-392-8209.
- Implementation Date for 3 digit risk factors and Revision 8 Dietary Risk Factors will be Monday, June 4, 2007: The implementation of converting from 2 to 3 digit risk factor codes, along with the implementation of the new dietary risk factors, will begin Monday, June 4, 2007 rather than Friday, June 1st as originally planned. This will enable a smoother transition at the beginning of the week rather than at the end of a week and also accommodate the Information Technology Services Division (ITSD) in converting the large volume of data involved in the change.
- Final - High Risk Care Plan Form for Infants, Children, and Women (WIC 55): The State office would like to thank all local WIC providers who provided valuable input for developing the high risk care plan form for infants, children, and women (WIC 55). Attached is the final version of the WIC 55 form. The State office will ship the WIC 55 form along with the revised WIC 1 and WIC 2 forms (06/07 version) to all local WIC providers in May. Please order additional forms from the warehouse as needed. If you have any suggestions and/or questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Beech-Nut’s Infant Cereal and Juice Packaging Changes: Beech-Nut Nutrition has redesigned the packaging of infant cereal and juice. The new cereals and juice packaging may already be available at the WIC vendors. Attached is the new packaging of Beech-Nut infant cereals and juices.
- Pink box - Single-ingredient cereal (Rice, Oatmeal, and Barley)
- Green box - Mixed cereal (barley, oat, and rice)
Please advise your staff and participants on the changes. The Missouri WIC Approved Food List is currently being revised accordingly and will be shipped to all local WIC providers in July 2007. If you have questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- National Women's Health Week: The following is a message from the Department's Office of Women's Health: It’s Your Time: Pamper Your Mind, Body, and Spirit” is the theme for the 8th annual National Women’s Health Week, May 13-19, 2007. National Women’s Health Week encourages women to take simple steps for a longer, healthier, and happier life. The week, which kicks off on Mother’s Day- May 13, brings attention to and creates understanding of women’s health issues and encourages women to get regular check-ups. With your help, we hope to reach women across the country with our message that women need to know that a healthy lifestyle includes physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health.
To help celebrate and spread the word about women’s health, we depend on partnerships with organizations like yours. There are a number of ways that your organization can be involved in National Women’s Health Week:
- Hold free screenings for members of your community on National Women’s Check-up Day, May 14.
- Encourage your staff and clients to take the Check-up Day Pledge by scheduling at least one of the prevention health screenings recommended by their health care provider within the next 90 days.
- Join the WOMAN Challenge (Women On the Move Across the Nation), which is an eight-week challenge to encourage women to get 30 minutes of physical activity most days of the week. Participants will receive a pedometer (while supplies last) and tracking log to record their progress throughout the eight weeks.
- Run a story about National Women’s Health Week in your organization’s newsletter, online bulletin, or local newspaper.
- Hold a health fair or host a brown bag lunch to disseminate women’s health information (which is available free of charge).
- Add www.health.mo.gov/living/womenshealth to your Website directing employees and the public to important health information as well as regional health activities and a proclamation list.
Please register your organizations’ events by going to www.health.mo.gov/living/womenshealth and clicking on the National Women’s Health Week icon. Educational materials may be ordered free of charge as long as supplies last, so please order early. Enclosed is additional information about National Women’s Health Week, National Women’s Check-up Day, and the WOMAN Challenge. Please join us in celebrating National Women’s Health Week 2007. This exciting initiative reaches women all over the country, and we hope that you will help us reach more. If you have any questions or need assistance in registering an event, please feel free to contact Tuck VanDyne at Tuck.VanDyne@health.mo.gov or Karen.Kliethermes@health.mo.gov (573) 526-0445 or visit the website at www.health.mo.gov/living/womenshealth.
- Missouri WIC Conference: “Locals and State: Partnered for Success” The Missouri WIC Association and the State WIC Program invite you to attend the 2007 WIC Conference-“Locals and State: Partnered for Success” on August 28-31, 2007 at the Capitol Plaza Hotel in Jefferson City. Registration and tentative conference schedule are attached. Registrations received before August 1 will be $200. Hotel reservations can be made by calling the Capitol Plaza Hotel at 1-800-338-8088. Reservations must be received by July 15 to guarantee the meeting rate of $70.00 single/double occupancy. Contract amendments are being prepared to include funding for local agency staff to attend the conference as described in the March 5 weekly update. More information will be included in forthcoming weekly updates. Feel free to contact Jim Wheaton, MWA President, at 816-404-9745 or Tana Lovan, MWA Vice-President, at 417-864-1082 with any questions regarding the 2007 Conference.
Sudden Infant Death Brochure 03-07.pdf
Missouri WIC Caseload Analysis - 2004-MAR2007.pdf
WIC 55 Form - HRCP.doc
Beech Nut New Packaging 04-04-07.pdf
National Womens Health Week.doc
WOMAN Challenge Fact Sheet FINAL.doc
2007 Conference Registration Form.doc
2007 WIC Conference Draft Schedule.doc