September 18, 2006 WIC Update
SUBJECT: Viewers for Microsoft Office Software
SUBJECT: ASAP Requests
SUBJECT: Nutrition Education HANDS changes – Reminder
SUBJECT: HANDS Training Dates
SUBJECT: Required Signature Statement - Translated Versions
SUBJECT: Formula and Medical Foods Reference Sheet
SUBJECT: Microcuvettes Delivered September 18-20, 2006
SUBJECT: VENA Self-Evaluation Questionnaire (Due October 15)
- Viewers for Microsoft Office Software: If you have computers that do not have Microsoft Office 2000 software (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) you can download software that will allow you to view documents that were created by someone else. The viewer is free and can be obtained by going to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/CD001022497.aspx?redir=0. Click on the viewer you want. On the next page click on the viewer again (for Word, Excel and PowerPoint the version you will see is 2003- this will also download the 2000 version). On the last page make sure the type of connection you have is showing in the Estimated Download Time box and click Download. When the File Download box comes up, click on save and save it to the location you want. After it downloads, double click on the file to install the software. To download the software, you need to have Windows 2000 Service Pack (SP) 4 or Windows XP as your operating system. The ITSD Help Desk will be able to assist you in downloading Windows 2000 SP4 if needed. To see which operating system your computer has, go to your desktop, right click My Computer and click on Properties. The viewer software will allow you to read, for example, a Word document that was sent to you from the State WIC office as part of the WIC updates. You will not be able to create or change a document with the software. If you have problems downloading the viewer(s) contact the ITSD Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-347-0887. If you have other questions, contact Mark Davis at email@example.com or 1-800-392-8209.
- ASAP Requests: Here is information for LWPs who may have questions regarding when to use the Department's ASAP form for computers and network access. You need to send an ASAP form when a staff member needs access to a Department application, e.g. WIC HANDS, MOHSAIC or Vital Records that needs a user ID and password. You also need to do an ASAP when a staff member needs access to LPHA email or DHSS dialup service. You do not need to send an ASAP form if you are receiving new computer equipment or need to have software loaded, for example, Blue Zone to use HANDS. If you have questions on how to do the ASAP form or when it is needed, contact the ITSD Help Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-347-0887.
- Nutrition Education HANDS changes – Reminder: This is a reminder that the changes in HANDS concerning the nutrition education codes converting to the new alpha letter character code and the changes to the HWNE screen to key the new codes will go into HANDS Monday, 9/25/06. The HWHN screen can no longer be used beginning Monday, 9/25/06. Please refer to the WIC Updates the week of September 12, 2006 for complete instructions about keying the revised HWNE screen and contact information. Please contact Melissa Seaver at email@example.com or 1-800-392-8209 if you have questions.
- HANDS Training Dates: Due to the cancellation and rescheduling of the November 2006 HANDS training and participants, there are no openings for HANDS training until 2007. The dates available for the first 6 months of 2007 are:
January 31 - February 2, 2007
February 21-23, 2007
March 21-23, 2007
June 20-22, 2007
There will be no HANDS training in April or May 2007.
Please contact Melissa Seaver at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-392-8209 if you have questions.
- Required Signature Statement - Translated Versions The Required Signature Statement (WIC-10) has been translated into the following nine languages: Arabic, Bosnian, Chinese, Korea, Russian, Somali, Spanish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese.
Please feel free to make copies as needed. The Farsi version should be available by September 25, 2006. The Spanish version is being printed at the State Printing Center. If you have any questions, please email Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Formula and Medical Foods Reference Sheet: In August we emailed to the LWPs the Missouri WIC Program WIC Approved Formula and Food Reference Materials, effective August 1, 2006. On page four, Section 2.2 of the document there was an incorrect fax number. The correct fax number to use to fax the WIC 29's to the State WIC office is 573-526-1470. We have attached this document with the correct fax number. We apologize for any inconvenience that has caused you. If questions you have any questions, contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Microcuvettes Delivered September 18-20, 2006: Local WIC Providers should receive their Microcuvette order from HemoCue during the week of September 18-22, 2006. Upon receiving your shipment of microcuvettes from HemoCue, please complete the attached memo and email the entire sheet by September 29, 2006 to Crystal.Collins@health.mo.gov. If you have not received your Microcuvettes by Monday, September 25, please contact Crystal Collins at 573-751-6204 or e-mail at Crystal.Collins@health.mo.gov.
- VENA Self-Evaluation Questionnaire (Due October 15): Attached is a questionnaire that we are asking the Nutrition Coordinator or designee to complete. We are also requesting the WIC Administrator to complete the same questionnaire. As you heard in Program Updates in August, in preparing for Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment, USDA is requesting the State WIC office to do a thorough self assessment of our current WIC processes and practices; staff competencies and training; policies; management information system; and quality assurance/self monitoring. The questionnaire is somewhat lengthy, however, for us to enhance our current WIC nutrition assessment process, it is necessary to see where we are currently.
This is an opportunity for the LWPs to let us know how we can enhance the nutrition assessment process, what training is needed, what challenges you have in your agency, etc. and what the State Office should address to enhance our nutrition assessment process. Our hope is that you feel open to answering the questionnaire honestly even if the answer you provide is not what is stated in WOM policy. If you have any questions, please contact Phyllis Fuller at Phyllis.Fuller@health.mo.gov.
Thank you for completing this questionnaire.
Arabic WIC 10-AR.pdf
Bosnian WIC 10-BO.pdf
Chinese WIC 10CH.pdf
Korean WIC 10-KO.pdf
Russian WIC 10-RU.pdf
Somali WIC 10-SO.pdf
Spanish WIC 10-SP.pdf
Ukrainian WIC 10-UK.pdf
Vietnamese WIC 10-VT.pdf