October 2, 2006 WIC Update
SUBJECT: Getting FAMIS Inquiry Access for Local WIC Provider (LWP) Staff
SUBJECT: You Are Invited
SUBJECT: National WIC Association's WIC 2007 Calendars
SUBJECT: Required Signature Statement - Farsi Version
SUBJECT: New WIC Participant Identification (ID) Folders
SUBJECT: Two New Committees to Form
SUBJECT: Progress on the Federal WIC Budget
SUBJECT: Planning for a New WIC Data System
- Getting FAMIS Inquiry Access for Local WIC Provider (LWP) Staff: Access to the FAMIS screens will assist WIC staff in verifying information on participants who are currently active on Food Stamps or TANF. Participants approved for Food Stamps and TANF make their entire household income-eligible for WIC services. Instructions and forms are available to print and complete for LWP staff needing access to the FAMIS screens. Once staff is approved, the FAMIS screens must be accessed once every 30 days or the access will be auto-deleted and the application process will have to be repeated. If you have any questions about how to fill out these forms, contact Jan Lupkey at Jan.Lupkey@health.mo.gov or by calling 1-800-554-2544.
- You Are Invited: The State WIC staff is hosting an informal get together before the Missouri WIC Association Annual Meeting begins on October 19. Please stop by the Truman State Office Building room 730 between 10:00 AM and noon and talk with the staff. We will have many staff available to answer questions and share ideas. The nutrition staff is looking for local agencies interested in volunteering for their Nutrition and Education Committees. They will be there to offer more detailed information on these great volunteer opportunities. We hope all agencies attending the MWA meeting will take a few minutes to walk across the street from the Capitol Plaza Hotel and visit with us. Contact for this event is Lyn Konstant, (573) 751-6086.
- National WIC Association's WIC 2007 Calendars: The State WIC office has purchased the WIC 2007 Wall Calendars (English: 20,000 copies and Spanish 11,500 copies). The DHSS warehouse will ship the calendars to local WIC providers during the month of October. The calendars will be allocated to LWPs based on the caseload of English speaking participants for the English calendars and the estimated number of Hispanic households for the Spanish calendars. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at 1-800-392-8209 or email Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Required Signature Statement - Farsi Version: Attached is the Farsi version of the Required Signature Statement (WIC-10-FA). Please feel free to make copies as needed. If you have any questions, please email Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- New WIC Participant Identification (ID) Folders: The WIC Participant ID Folder Team is pleased to announce that the new WIC Participant ID folders are available at the DHSS warehouse. We would like to thank the Missouri WIC Association for their assistance on developing this new ID folder. Please begin ordering the new ID folders from the DHSS warehouse as needed. The current ID folder is still valid so please continue using up your current stock of ID folders. If you have any feedback regarding the new WIC ID folders, please contact the WIC ID folder team members: Glenn Studebaker, Peggy Maupin or Takako Tagami at 1-800-392-8209 or email them. If you have any questions, please email Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Two New Committees to Form: The Nutrition Services Team in the State WIC office will be forming two (2) committees. The two committees that are being formed are a Nutrition Committee and an Education Committee. The committees will be made up of nutritionists from LWPs and from the State WIC office. Current plans are to have the committees meet quarterly once established. We would have about 10 - 12 members total on each committee. The same people will not be on both committees. The Nutrition Committee will be an opportunity to share ideas, working on issues relating to implementation of Value Enhanced Nutrition Assessment (VENA), addressing problems agencies face when policies change, etc. The Education Team will be addressing competencies of staff, different formats of education for the participants, etc. You will be hearing more about this as time progresses.
If you will be attending the MO WIC Association meeting on October 19, and would like to share your ideas or get more information about the purpose of the committees, please stop by the Truman Building, Room #730. Before your MO WIC Association Meeting begins, the WIC State Office staff will be available in the Truman Building, Room #730 to answer any questions you may have. This will also give LWPs an opportunity to meet many of the State Office staff and us to meet you.
For those LWPs who cannot be with us on October 19, please feel free to share ideas about what you would like to see from either an Education Committee or a Nutrition Committee. You can email ideas to Phyllis.Fuller@health.mo.gov or you can contact the State WIC Office Nutritionist who is providing technical assistance for your agency.
- Progress on the Federal WIC Budget: Few of the federal budget bills have been passed, and the session ended Sept 29. This means that USDA will continue to be funded on a continuing resolution, and we will likely receive only the first quarter of funding for WIC pending the passage of the federal budgets. Congress is on recess until after the November elections. Now is a perfect time to make contact with your Congressperson or Senator and speak to them about the great work you do in serving women and children. With the restoration of $5 million to the federal defense budget, your Congressperson/Senator will be looking for areas in domestic spending that they can cut to make up that $5 million. That makes NOW a key time for you to talk with them about the critical nutrition services you provide to women and children. All politics is local which means your contact with your Congressperson/Senator is vital. Put a personal face on those women and children. One call can go a long way in helping your Congressperson/Senator decide to fund WIC services as recommended by the budget committees. Please consider making this contact. If you need more information, call Lyn Konstant at 573-751-6086 or Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov.
- Planning for a New WIC Data System: We received notice Friday, September 29 that USDA has approved our Planning Advanced Planning Document (PAPD) to begin the process of replacing the current WIC data system, HANDS. We will officially begin the planning process for a new system during this fiscal year. This will involve convening a high-level steering committee of stakeholders to provide oversight on system planning. We will be looking for a representative from at least one local agency from a metro area and one local agency from a rural area to be members of the steering committee. Lyn Konstant will chair this group. Time, interest and commitment to helping us find the best system are needed. If you are interested in being considered as a steering committee member, please contact Lyn Konstant at Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov or at 573-751-6086.