October 16, 2006 WIC Update
SUBJECT: You Are Invited
SUBJECT: Extra Formula (Attachments)
SUBJECT: Educational Opportunity
SUBJECT: Formula Approvals October 17 - 19, 2006
SUBJECT: October 21- HANDS Will Be on Emergency Power
SUBJECT: Microsoft Office 2000 Licenses
SUBJECT: Program Updates Q/A
- You Are Invited: The State WIC staff is hosting an informal get together before the Missouri WIC Association Annual Meeting begins on October 19. Please stop by the Truman State Office Building room 730 between 10:00 AM and noon and talk with the staff. We will have many staff available to answer questions and share ideas. The nutrition staff is looking for local agencies interested in volunteering for their Nutrition and Education Committees. They will be there to offer more detailed information on these great volunteer opportunities. We hope all agencies attending the MWA meeting will take a few minutes to walk across the street from the Capitol Plaza Hotel and visit with us. Contact for this event is Lyn Konstant, (573) 751-6086.
- Extra Formula (Attachments): A database listing unused infant formulas and medical foods is kept at the State WIC Office. With the implementation of the approval authority for many infant formulas and medical foods now at the local level, the State Office may not always know what is available. Please be sure to notify your district nutritionist or D'Anne Ward (firstname.lastname@example.org) when you have unused formula available at your agency so it may be added to the database. The listing will be sent out on a monthly basis so you are kept up-to-date on what is available at other LWPs.
Please check the listing in order to utilize formulas with the most recent expiration date first, prior to placing an order, to help keep food costs down. Attached is a current listing of extra formula available at different LWPs and guiding principles for shipping created to assist you when sending or receiving extra supply of infant formula. If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact D'Anne Ward at 1-800-392-8209 or email email@example.com.
- Educational Opportunity: The American Dietetic Association Center for Professional Development and the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services, Bureau of WIC and Nutrition Services, Nutrition Training Institute are sponsoring a free educational opportunity: Enhancing Nutrition for Children with Special Health Care Needs on November 9th from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. This live and interactive phone teleseminar focuses on learning five specific components of a nutritional assessment as applied to a special needs child, identifying three evidence-based nutritional recommendations for nutrition or feeding/eating problems of children with special needs, and describing three practices or techniques to interact effectively with parents, caregivers and other team members. It is designed for WIC Nutritionists, Registered Dietitians, and Dietetic Technicians Registered who work in clinical and community health settings with children, adolescents and their parents; private practitioners, health care professionals who work in pediatric long term care and rehab settings; and school-based dietitians and foodservice professionals. Please see the attached site registration form for details or contact Michele Bailey at (573) 751-6481 or Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov with questions.
- Formula Approvals October 17 - 19, 2006: State WIC nutritionists who normally approve formula that require state approval will be out of the office on Tuesday, October 17th through Thursday, October 19th. On these dates, the LWP Nutritionist or Registered Dietitian (RD) has permission to approve the formula for 1 month only; in cases where the LWP does not have a nutritionist or RD on staff, the CPA may then approve the formula for 1 month only. They should follow up with a phone call (1-800-392-8209) or email message to Rose Sipakati at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, October 20th.
- October 21- HANDS Will Be on Emergency Power: On Saturday, October 21, the Truman Office Building in Jefferson City is scheduling a complete electrical shutdown from 6:00 a.m. until midnight. The State Data Center (where the HANDS mainframe computer is located) will be on emergency power during this time; it is not expected that any problems will occur. However, if the system does go down, WIC clinics should use manual checks as they normally would when the system is down. If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at email@example.com or 1-800-392-8209.
- Microsoft Office 2000 Licenses: We are planning to request USDA Operational Adjustment funds to purchase one license of Microsoft Office 2000 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access) for every LWP desktop computer and laptop with a WIC tag that does not already have it installed. Currently the State WIC office provides one license of Microsoft 2000 for every agency. Some agencies may have purchased additional licenses for WIC desktop computers and laptops. In order to know how many licenses to purchase if we are approved to do this, I need to know how many licenses LWPs will need. So, by the end of day Friday, October 27 send me by email your agency's name and the total number of Microsoft Office 2000 licenses your agency would need for every WIC desktop computer and laptop to have this software. If you have questions, contact Mark Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-392-8209.
- Program Updates Q/A: Attached are the questions with answers from the Program Updates Training conducted during August. Thank you for being patient while we developed this list. If you have additional questions, please discuss them with your technical assistance team.
Extra Supply of Formula Oct. 2006
Instructions for UPS Shipping Document (HardCopy)
Program Update Questions and Answers - August 06
Registration Brochure Children with Special HCNeeds
UPS Electronic Shipment Instructions