November 27, 2006 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: HANDS changes implementation dates - Nutrition Assessment
SUBJECT 2: New Nutrition Assessment Forms
SUBJECT 3: English and Translated Versions of “A Special Message for Grandparents” Brochure
SUBJECT 4: Enhancement Projects Update (Attachment 2006 Enhancement Project Results)
- HANDS changes implementation dates - Nutrition Assessment: At the VENA trainings in October and November, specific dates were given for implementation of HANDS changes for the new Nutrition Assessment screens.
At the trainings given in October, trainees were told that WIC would implement a change in HANDS, which would require a nutrition assessment to be keyed before food instruments could be printed. This was to begin April 1, 2007. This change will not be implemented until further notice. There have been many local agencies concerned about the requirement to enter the Nutrition Assessment information into HANDS. On January 16, 2007 - Nutrition Assessment Screens will be available for keying in HANDS for those LWPs who choose to enter the information into HANDS. (We are not requiring these be entered into HANDS at this time.) If you have any questions about the system change mentioned above, please contact Melissa Seaver at firstname.lastname@example.org.Our goal is to implement changes gradually so that the LWPS do not feel overly burdened with a lot of changes at one time. We would rather the agencies do the appropriate trainings required for VENA implementation and do the trainings sufficiently vs. not doing a thorough training just to get the forms into the system. If you have questions, concerns about the VENA timelines please contact your District Nutritionist.
- New Nutrition Assessment Forms:
English Version - The following new nutrition assessment forms are available at the DHSS warehouse. The warehouse shipped a small supply to all local WIC providers in October and November, please order the forms as needed:
- Nutrition Assessment Form for Women (WIC-36)
- Nutrition Assessment Form for Infants (WIC-37)
- Nutrition Assessment Form for Children (WIC 35)
Spanish Version - The attached are Spanish versions of new Nutrition Assessment forms.The forms are currently being printed at the State Printing Center and should be available at the DHSS warehouse by the middle of December. The forms will be translated into various languages. Please feel free to make copies as needed. We will notify you through the WIC Update when the form is translated into other languages. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Nutrition Assessment Form for Women (WIC-36-SP)
- Nutrition Assessment Form for Infants (WIC-37-SP)
- Nutrition Assessment Form for Children (WIC 35-SP)
- English and Translated Versions of “A Special Message for Grandparents” Brochure: Attached are the English and translated versions of the brochure “A Special Message for Grandparents”. Only the bilingual version (English-Front/Spanish-Back) is currently being printed at the State Printing Center and will be available for local WIC providers at the DHSS warehouse. Please feel free to make copies as needed. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Enhancement Projects Update (Attachment 2006 Enhancement Project Results): The 2006 Enhancement Projects were successful and generated heightened enthusiasm for WIC in project areas. We anticipate funding from USDA for 2007 Enhancement Grants. In order to give each agency as much time as possible to plan a project, the application information will be included in next week's WIC Update. We expect to be able to fund one project per agency. To assist your agency with identifying a project, we have summarized the activities funded in 2006. The activities from last year are listed in the 5 categories identified for project funding this year: Media, Autodialer, Breastfeeding, Nutrition Education and Clinic Environment. Each current WIC agency that would like to apply for a project should select one project area to focus activities for a 2007 Enhancement Project. Please see project details in next week's WIC Update. The contact person is Kathleen Davis at Kathleen.Davis@health.mo.gov.