November 13, 2006 WIC Update
SUBJECT 1: WIC Training Schedule January - June 2007
SUBJECT 2: New Nutrition Education Codes - Questions and Answers
SUBJECT 3: Educational Opportunity - Providing Culturally Appropriate Health Care - Why it Matters
SUBJECT 4: Translated Versions of the Exit Counseling Brochure
SUBJECT 5: Food To Grow On - Spanish Version (#620)
SUBJECT 6: Medela Breast Pump Order
- WIC Training Schedule January - June 2007: Attached is the training calendar for January 2007 through June 2007 and the training registration form. Please contact the trainer listed on the schedule for any questions concerning a particular training.
WIC Training will be presented on-site at each district office one time during 2007 as indicated on the calendar. The on-site training will then be presented by videoconference to the other locations from that district site.
If you have questions about the on-site trainings or general questions, contact D'Anne Ward at 800-392-8209 or email@example.com.
- New Nutrition Education Codes - Questions and Answers: Attached are questions with answers regarding the use of the new Nutrition Education Codes and a chart for converting from previous nutrition education codes topics to the current nutrition education codes. Thank you for being patient while we developed this information. As additional questions come up, please e-mail them to Rose Sipakati at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will continue to provide updates via the WIC Update.
- Educational Opportunity-Providing Culturally Appropriate Health Care - Why it Matters: The American Dietetic Association Center for Professional Development and the Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services are sponsoring a free educational opportunity on January 23rd from 1:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. The topic is “Providing Culturally Appropriate Health Care - Why It Matters”. This live, interactive phone teleseminar focuses on how to identify unique food traditions among Hispanic and African American populations as they apply to health, take away practical ideas for incorporating Hispanic and African American cultural competency in the work setting, discuss culturally relevant educational positioning and messages for Hispanic and African American students, address health literacy issues of diverse client bases, and identify counseling techniques that enable dietetics practitioners to establish trust with clients of ethnicity not their own.
It is designed for WIC Nutritionists, Registered Dietitians, and Dietetic Technicians Registered who work in clinical and community health settings that serve a diverse client base, particularly Hispanic and African Americans; dietetics practitioners who need and want to develop culturally appropriate responses to meet client and patient needs; and other health care professionals who see clients in diverse settings.
Please see the attached site registration form for details or contact Michele Bailey at (573) 751-6481 or Michele.Bailey@health.mo.gov with questions.
- Translated Versions of the Exit Counseling Brochure: The Exit Counseling Brochure has been translated into 10 languages. Translated versions are attached for your use. The Spanish version is currently being printed at the State Printing Center and will be stocked at the warehouse. The English version is already available at the warehouse. Please feel free to make copies of the others as needed. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
Arabic = AR
Bosnian = BO
Chinese = SC
English = EN
Farsi = FA
Korean = KO
Russian = RU
Spanish = SP
Ukrainian = UKR
Vietnamese = VT
- Food To Grow On - Spanish Version: The Food To Grow On - Birth to 12 month booklet (Spanish version) has been printed and is available at the DHSS warehouse. The literature number for this booklet is #620. Please order this brochure as needed. If you have any questions and/or suggestions, please contact Takako Tagami at Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- Medela Breast Pump Order: Many LWPs have received the Harmony manual pumps and pumping kits but not the Lactina Select Electric breast pumps. The electric breast pumps were shipped separately from the other items and may arrive later. Medela was not able to fill our entire order of electric breast pumps at this time and some are on backorder. Please check your packing slip and verify if the electric breast pumps were shipped or if they are on backorder. If your packing slip states your pumps have shipped and you still do not receive them by next week, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at 573-526-4792 or Kathy.Mertzlufft@health.mo.gov.
WIC Training Schedule 1-07 thru 6-07
Revised Training Registration Form 10-00
Q & A re using the new Nutrition Education Codes
NE Codes & Topics conversion info for LWPs
Providing Culturally Appropriate Health Care Why it Matters Registration Brochure