May 30, 2006 WIC Update
SUBJECT: District Meetings with the WIC Director
SUBJECT: Mandatory August WIC Program Updates Training (Attachment)
SUBJECT: Breastfeeding Promotion Orientation Training (Attachment)
SUBJECT: World Breastfeeding Week
SUBJECT: Congratulations to Ozark Community Health Department and the Daviess County Health Department
SUBJECT: HANDS Changes
SUBJECT: MONDAY, JUNE 5, DEADLINE FOR WIC-24 SUBMISSION
- District Meetings with the WIC Director - Lyn Konstant, WIC Director, will be hosting meetings in each of the six districts. Local agency administrators and/or WIC coordinators are invited to meet to discuss two items: 1) information (data) local WIC providers need to make program decisions; and 2) ways the State WIC office and local WIC providers can work together to accomplish program goals. These meetings are not mandatory; attendance is voluntary. Dates, locations and times are a s follows:
June 22, 9:00 to 12:00 in Jefferson City at the Governor's Office Building Room 316;
June 28, 1:00 to 4:00 in Poplar Bluff at the SE District Health Office;
July 19, 1:00 to 4:00 in St. Louis at the Eastern District Health Office;
August 1, 1:00 to 4:00 in Springfield at the SW District Health Office;
August 10, 1:00 to 4:00 in Macon at the NE District Health Office;
August 15, 1:00 to 4:00 in Independence at the NW District Health Office.
Registration is not required, although it would be helpful for planning room arrangements to know who plans to attend. You may attend any meeting in any location. We have tried to schedule these so as to not conflict with other training and conferences being provided by the Department. However, it is possible that we may have missed some meeting. You do not have to attend a district meeting to share ideas. Feel free to call (573-751-6204) or email Lyn at Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov to register for one of the meetings. An agenda will be forthcoming along with directions to the meeting locations.
- Mandatory August WIC Program Updates Training - The one-day sessions will provide attendees with updated program information and clarification re garding program issues. The trainings will be on site at each district office. District health office locations and training dates are listed below.
Locations and Dates:
August 21 - Jefferson City: WIC Nutrition Training Room, 930 Wildwood
August 22 - Eastern District: 220 South Jefferson, St. Louis
August 23 - Southeastern District: 2875 James Blvd., Poplar Bluff
August 24 - Southwestern District: 1414 West Elfindale, Springfield
August 28 - Northeastern District: 708 Patton, Macon
August 29 - Northwestern District: 3717 Whitney Ave., Independence
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
Administrative Topics will include WIC 24, Vendor Issues and revisions to WIC forms and the ID Folder
Lunch - on your own 11:00 a.m. to 12 noon
Time: 12 noon-3 p.m.
Nutrition Topics will include VENA, Breastfeeding Reports, Nutrition Education Codes and Automatic calculation of Adjusted Gestational Age.
One WIC Coordinator or Nutrition Coordinator from each agency must attend the training. Please complete the registration form and fax to the State WIC office before July 21, 2006.
If you have any questions please contact D'Anne Ward, Nutrition Trainer, at the State WIC office at (800) 392-8209 or by e-mail at Danne.Ward@health.mo.gov.
- Breastfeeding Promotion Orientation Training - Local WIC Providers are required to provide a Breastfeeding Training to all new staff within six months of da te of hire or rehire and then annually using the Breastfeeding Promotion and Orientation CD. The self-paced training can be done individually or in a group setting. Attached is the Powerpoint presentation which can be downloaded to a CD or your computer. If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- World Breastfeeding Week - August 1-7 is designated each year as World Breastfeeding Week by the World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA). In Missouri, we will celebrate breastfeeding the entire month of August, with the them e “Babies Were Born To Be Breastfed”. Promotion activities will be held statewide targeting families and communities. Look for more information in future WIC update emails and in July the state will be sending each LWP a breastfeeding promoti on packet to assist you in planning your own activities in your community. If you have any questions, please contact Kathy Mertzlufft at 800-392-8209 email@example.com or Cathy Kruse at 800-877 -6246 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Congratulations to the Ozark Community Health Department WIC Program and the Daviess County Health Department WIC Program who submitted winning entries in the 2007 NWA WIC Calendar Children’s Drawing Competition. In January 20 06, the National WIC Association sent out a request to state and local agencies for WIC kids and WIC graduates up to age 8 to participate in the calendar drawing competition. Three WIC kids/graduates from Ozark Community Health Department are winners of a $50 gift certificate from Scholastic, Inc. that can be redeemed for books, educational toys, videos and games. Their artwork will be featured in the 2007 NWA calendar. Two WIC kids/graduates from Ozark Community Health Department and one from Daviess County Health Department are consolation prize winners whose artwork will not be featured in the calendar. They will receive a $25 gift certificate from Scholastic. As you all know, the children’s drawings are what make the NWA calendar special! < /li>
- HANDS Changes - Effective immediately, a change has been made to HANDS on the H202 (update) and H230 (household update) screens for area code and phone numbers. This change will allow any area code and phone number to be keyed ins tead of only Missouri area codes.
Due to other changes being made on the H201 (entry) screen, this screen will only accept Missouri area codes for now but will be changed at a later date.
If you have any questions about this change, please contact Melissa Seaver at 800-392-8209 or e-mail at email@example.com.
- MONDAY, JUNE 5, DEADLINE FOR WIC-24 SUBMISSION - June is the final month of the state government's fiscal year. As in prior years there is an early cut-off of payment processing. As a consequence, for the month of June 2006, ONLY , the last date that we will be able to receive and process WIC-24 for May 2006 and earlier months to have payment made in June 2006 will be Monday, June 5, 2006.
WIC-24 invoices received after June 5 will be processed for payment in July 2006.
Any questions regarding this matter should be referred to Michael Murphy or Jim Schindler at the state WIC office: Michael.Murphy@health.mo.gov, James.Schindler@health.mo.gov, or by calling the state office.