May 1, 2006 WIC Update (1 of 2)
SUBJECT: Put a Local Face on WIC
SUBJECT: Revised Specialty Milk Food Packages (1/2 Gallon and Quart)
SUBJECT: Extra Formula (Attachments)
SUBJECT: Nutrition and Breastfeeding Conference - Phoenix, Arizona - September 2006 (Attachment)
SUBJECT: 2nd WIC Update Later Today: Manual WIC Check Printing Program Updates to be Released after 3PM today
- Congress is pushing forward with their budget preparation for FY2007. Because the President's Proposed Budget included reductions for the WIC program, now is a good time to contact your Congressperson and Senators. Please consider making appointments with them in their district offices or invite them to visit your WIC clinic during the upcoming Memorial weekend recess period May 27 - June 4 and educate them on the consequences of the President’s budget proposals for WIC and your district. “Face” time with your US Representative or Senator will be critical to ensure that they thoroughly understand how mothers and children in your community will potentially loose nutrition services benefits and how vendors will be impacted by fewer dollars being spent in their stores if the President’s budget proposals are adopted. Feel free to use the District specific data sheets provided by the State WIC office in the email of March 13 and to refer to the additional information on this issue provided in the March 27 email. If you have other questions or need more specific information, please contact Lyn Konstant (Lyn.Konstant@health.mo.gov) or call 573-751-6086.
- The State office has recently learned that specialty milks in ½ gallon containers are not available in some areas in Missouri and are available in quart containers only. Therefore, food packages for specialty milks have been revised.
The revised food packages allow participants to purchase specialty milk in either quart or ½ gallon container at WIC vendors and are currently available in the HANDS system.
Please share this information with your staff. If you have any questions, please contact Takako Tagami at 1-800-392-8209 or e-mail Takako.Tagami@health.mo.gov.
- A database listing unused infant formulas and medical foods is maintained at the State WIC Office. With the implementation of the approval authority for many infant formulas and medical foods now at the local agency level the State Office may not always know what extra formula is available at the LWPs. Please notify your district nutritionist or D'Anne Ward (email@example.com) when you have unused formula available at your agency so it can be added to the database. The formula listing will be sent to the LWPs on a monthly basis so you are kept up-to-date on what is available at other LWPs. To keep food/formula costs down, please check the listing in order to utilize formulas with the most recent expiration date first. Attached are the current listing of extra formula available at different LWPs and 2 sets of instructions for shipping the formulas via UPS to assist you when sending or receiving a supply of infant formula. You have 2 ways for shipping the formula to another LWP via UPS. One option is to fill out an electronic UPS form and send via the web to UPS or use the second option by filling out the hardcopy UPS form and calling UPS. If you have any questions regarding this information, please contact D'Anne Ward at 1-800-392-8209 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The National WIC Association will be hosting the 2006 Nutrition and Breastfeeding Conference "Taking A New Look At WIC". The conference will take place in Phoenix Arizona, September 19-21, 2006. Conference tracks include breastfeeding issues, nutrition issues, nutrition education/skill building and leadership management. Please see the attached flyer for more information.
- Manual WIC Check Printing Program Updates will be released after 3:00 p.m. today.
UPS Electronic Shipment Instructions
UPS Hard Copy Form Shipping Instructions